Legal firearms in my car

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You don't get off work at 2:30AM every weekday(or later). And are the very last person to leave on Friday(or nearly every Mon-Thurs) night(Saturday morning). I have chased people out of the building with my 3' prybar before. Not saying that I do, but I have reasons.
Or you could let them steal the VT365 trucks. Win/Win.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Here is my two cents worth. The company uses a double standard. If they do not allow firearms on the property, in your locked car, then they should be responsible for your car while it is in their parking lot. We have had many break ins during my career at UPS and the company basically says that it is not their problem. I consider this a double standard. If I can not bring a firearm onto your property, then you should be responsible for damage or break in into my car.

What do you guys think?

You hit the nail on the head. We had a guy here that got his motorcycle stolen. He brought this up to management, they said the parking lot isnt their property thus they held no responsibility. Well time passed after that and someone came up with a day called beer Fridays. This is where we would bring a few brews and have them in the parking lot after the shift, this wasnt because the claim of it not being their property. Just an end of week type of thing.

The guy who had his bike stolen took on this day as well. One Friday we had a visit from the loss provention guy. And man did he rolled up on us like a cop or something. He asked for our UPS IDs, told us we could be fired on the spot for what we were doing and said that the parking lot is UPS property. The guy who had his bike stolen said they told him it wasnt. Kind've hard to explain himself out of that one. Yea, its a double standard.

To the OP, a concealed carry permit doesnt mean you can keep it in your car out of sight. You have to keep it on you at all times and hidden, even while driving. Keeping it in your car goes beyond what the safety and permits of CCP. As people have said here, " what if someone broken into your car and took it ". Theres truth in them words. A CCP is a card given to you to prevent such bad things from happening. That you've read and understood the issues of safety and teachings the class provides. Leaving it in your car should be frowned upon, by you that is.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That would be cruel and unusual punishment. I dreamed we could just paint them with camo and sell them to the military for remote control IED decoys in Afghanistan.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Located so that regardless what part of the house I am in, I can reasonably be sure I can get to a handgun or pistol-grip shotgun without exposing myself to an intruder.
In other words, none of my guns are stored beside a point of entrance/egress but rather to places I commonly am in the house.
Bedrooms all have them, my desk area has one, my pool house has one, etc.

​a dooms day prepper...huh?

bbsam

Staff member
Isn't this as simple as UPS being private property? Therefore they have the right to prohibit firearms on their property and therefore on their property it is not a "legally possessed firearm".

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Isn't this as simple as UPS being private property? Therefore they have the right to prohibit firearms on their property and therefore on their property it is not a "legally possessed firearm".

I'm definitely not opposed to gun ownership, but at the same time, I've never understood the zealousness some people reserve toward their weapons. Most homicides in this country are derivatives of impulsive, anger-driven urges. Given the types of persons working within my facility, gun possession would be a very, very bad idea. Every day I see anger issues derive from simple situations... unloaders double-teamed in a trailer in which a wall collapses and each of them blame the other for the situation, arguments over taking "somebody's" parking spot, people bumping into each other, etc. I grew up in an upscale community & continue to reside in a pleasant, safe neighborhood; I'm certain many of my neighbors own guns but I "trust" them. OTOH, the people I work with... many grew up in the 'hood, and heck, still live in the hood. Violence has always been in their lives and they probably wouldn't think too much of blowing me away if I pissed them off.

About 5 years ago I worked with an 18-year-old that was a really nice kid but was built small (about 5'2" and less than 100 lbs.) and was constantly picked on and would rant 'you motha******* don't wanna be messin with no me.' Anyway, it turned out he had murdered two people he had ambushed in two separate Craigslist (?) robberies. As it took some time to identify & arrest him, he was showing up to work after the murders. Imagine if this kid brought a gun into work ... do you think he'd hesitate to use it? Even after this, there's still no incoming medal detector here - just an outgoing on.

bbsam

Staff member
I think people don't really understand their rights. The First Amendment does not give them the right to stage a KKK rally on Fedex property. I doubt that Fedex be cool with that and it is their right to refuse.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I think people don't really understand their rights. The First Amendment does not give them the right to stage a KKK rally on Fedex property. I doubt that Fedex be cool with that and it is their right to refuse.

I agree with you completely on this. The First Amendment applies toward government-censored speech in public forums (with some limitation); it does not apply toward private party censored speech in private forums. In another thread I participated on late last week, a poster brought up that UPS had asked its employees not to discuss the pending contract on company time and the majority of responses were 'the FA protects free speech, threaten to sue UPS.' Using the same logic, it would be implied that it's perfectly acceptable for a uniformed UPS driver to tell a consumer 'UPS sucks ... it's a horrible place to work ... switch to FedEx." Private forums have a right to censor behavior; the Constitution does not, and was never intended to, protect against this.

stink219

Have any of you ever had anyone say anything regarding guns in your car in the UPS parking lot? I have a concealed carry permit, have carried for years. However some at UPS interpret the "no weapons in the facilities" rule to also apply to my vehicle. I can't keep a firearm for my personal protection on the way to work and the way home without storing it in my car while I'm at work. Any comments?
How do they know you have one?

Omega man

I read the article link that was provided by huskres. I found this part interesting...

"In July 2003, Lockheed Martin employee Doug Williams abruptly left a training session at the company's Meridian, Miss., plant and retrieved a shotgun and semiautomatic rifle from his truck in the employee parking lot.

He opened fire on employees, killing six and wounding eight.

Afterward, authorities retrieved three more guns from his truck.

“Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common event,” said Brian Siebel, senior attorney at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. “A gun is available in the parking lot for an employee who may be unstable and who reaches a snapping point. This should be a no-brainer.”

IF any job could push someone to the breaking point..its UPS!!!

So, we should all be armed to protect ourselves from these people since a "policy" will never stop them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My new car has Bluetooth with controls on the steering wheel and voice commands. One press of the button, "Call police" and help is on the way.

My wife and I travel a lot in our car.

Google "Josephine County, Oregon police response time" and you will learn that in Josephine County as well as several other cash-strapped, timber-revenue dependent Oregon counties, law-enforcement is almost non existent. The sheriff of Josephine County has actually suggested to domestic violence victims that they pack up and move to an area "with adequate police resources" since the entire county is often patrolled by one deputy due to budget cuts, and 911 calls are frequently forwarded to the State Police who might take 45 minutes or even an hour to respond to a life and death call.

I understand and respect your personal reasons for not wanting to own a gun, but around here being armed is truly a reasonable and prudent precaution to take.

soberups

Under Oregon state law, at least, the answer is "no". They are entitled to put up a sign, and they are entitled to ask anyone to leave who brings a weapon onto their property. Refusal to leave constitutes trespassing. The simple act of bringing a firearm onto their property in one's car is not illegal if one has a carry permit. It only becomes illegal once they become aware of it and ask the person to leave and they refuse to do so.

Also...under the terms of the Western Region supplement language regarding "suspensions and discharges", there is a specific list of cardinal infractions that allow for immediate termination without the need to go thru progressive discipline (warning letter, suspension etc.) These offenses include drunk/drugs on duty, proveable dishonesty, theft, unprovoked assault on an employee, malicious destrction of company property etc. They do not include having an otherwise legal gun in ones car in the parking lot. So...if the employer were to somehow become aware of an otherwise legal gun in an employes car in the parking lot and if they were to somehow get legal permission to enter and search that car, the worst consequence that the owner of that car would face would be a warning letter.

bbsam

Staff member
So it is only trespassing for me to sneak into UPS property on a Sunday evening after they discover me there and ask me to leave? I would think that I was unlawful the moment I entered the gate.

C

chuchu

They lost that argument. Confirmed by the Div. HR rep. I'll try to get the details and post them.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I sold a 1911 to a region manager in a UPS parking lot once. We're both veterans and determined the rules don't apply to us; just others who are not as stable, trustworthy and responsible as we agreed we both were.

soberups

Years ago I sent my S&W M66 into the factory custom shop for some trigger work and an action job. When they returned it I had it held for will call because I wouldnt be home to sign for it. The day it arrived I clocked off, walked over to the customer counter to sign for it, then back to my center manager's office to get a package pass so that the guard would let me take it through the guard shack. Of course, my center manager was also a gun collector and he wouldnt sign the pass until I took the gun out of the box and let him fondle it for awhile and feel how smooth the trigger was. A couple of other drivers also had to inspect it, so we wound up with 4 guys sitting in the office at work handling a .357 magnum and talking about guns for half an hour. Apparently my center manager never noticed the "no weapons allowed" sign on the wall.