Legal History and Driver Eligibility

J

jibbs

Hey guys, I've got a question that I'm sure many of you have heard before, yet I haven't seen discussed on this forum. I did use the search engine and combed through 4 pages of results with no success.

Anyways, I'm a part-time preloader that took the job because I needed a source of legitimate income. I had no aspirations of staying with the company long-term because I went into the position pretty ignorant... after learning a little bit about driving (both pros and cons) I've been hopeful that I might be given the chance to make the cut somewhere down the line. Where my situation gets tricky lies with my legal history.... As a minor, I was arrested for possession of marijuana. Then, as an adult, I've had a few run-ins with law enforcement regarding marijuana and pharmaceuticals. I've only been charged in the past with possession of controlled dangerous substances, and only have 1 official conviction for possession of marijuana on my record (which is a misdemeanor, though I'm not sure that matters in this situation). I've been charged with other crimes in the past, but never convicted.

My question is how might those criminal, drug-related charges in the past effect my eligibility to become a driver a few years down the road? I'm of the personal opinion that as long as I've proven myself clean, sober and law-abiding in the time since it shouldn't have an impact, but I'm well aware of how our society actually works and realize that my mistakes in the past can and likely will hinder my options in the future.

Any insight would be much appreciated, and I'm kind of expecting a bit of goading to come with the more legitimate posts, so yeah... Anyone?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hey guys, I've got a question that I'm sure many of you have heard before, yet I haven't seen discussed on this forum. I did use the search engine and combed through 4 pages of results with no success.

Anyways, I'm a part-time preloader that took the job because I needed a source of legitimate income. I had no aspirations of staying with the company long-term because I went into the position pretty ignorant... after learning a little bit about driving (both pros and cons) I've been hopeful that I might be given the chance to make the cut somewhere down the line. Where my situation gets tricky lies with my legal history.... As a minor, I was arrested for possession of marijuana. Then, as an adult, I've had a few run-ins with law enforcement regarding marijuana and pharmaceuticals. I've only been charged in the past with possession of controlled dangerous substances, and only have 1 official conviction for possession of marijuana on my record (which is a misdemeanor, though I'm not sure that matters in this situation). I've been charged with other crimes in the past, but never convicted.

My question is how might those criminal, drug-related charges in the past effect my eligibility to become a driver a few years down the road? I'm of the personal opinion that as long as I've proven myself clean, sober and law-abiding in the time since it shouldn't have an impact, but I'm well aware of how our society actually works and realize that my mistakes in the past can and likely will hinder my options in the future.

Any insight would be much appreciated, and I'm kind of expecting a bit of goading to come with the more legitimate posts, so yeah... Anyone?

2 DUI's will ban you - from life - from CDL eligibility. That's not UPS policy - that's Federal law. But you don't need a CDL to drive a package car, only feeders. That's the only job-killing type of citation I can think of - unless you're working around air operations, which I don't know much about.

As long as you have a spotless traffic record for 3 years before your bid, you should be fine. No tickets, no accidents, et cetera. They don't even drug test in package unless you get into an accident - and then you have the right to a blood test.

J

jibbs

2 DUI's will ban you - from life - from CDL eligibility. That's not UPS policy - that's Federal law. But you don't need a CDL to drive a package car, only feeders. That's the only job-killing type of citation I can think of - unless you're working around air operations, which I don't know much about.

As long as you have a spotless traffic record for 3 years before your bid, you should be fine. No tickets, no accidents, et cetera. They don't even drug test in package unless you get into an accident - and then you have the right to a blood test.

Beautiful! Thank God I never attempted drunken/drugged driving in my life! Haven't been so much as pulled over in 8 years, so this is good news to me. Thanks, PiedmontSteward.

J

jibbs

So time to grow up and choose.

I've already chosen. I wanted to ensure that I didn't choose something that I've already friend*ed up for myself, you know? I've never been one to shoot for the stars, but I don't exactly want to shovel smile* for a living either.

I've already chosen. I wanted to ensure that I didn't choose something that I've already friend*ed up for myself, you know? I've never been one to shoot for the stars, but I don't exactly want to shovel smile* for a living either.

Fair enough. I've worked with some people who couldn't choose and they pissed away good oportunities. Some people just don't want to grow up. Plus I don't like having to look over my shoulder.
If you have your priorities straight then you're welcome to come drive with us.

J

jibbs

Fair enough. I've worked with some people who couldn't choose and they pissed away good oportunities. Some people just don't want to grow up. Plus I don't like having to look over my shoulder.
If you have your priorities straight then you're welcome to come drive with us.

Thank you, cachsux. I hope a majority of others feel the same as you.

barnyard

KTM rider
It might be worth your while to do a background check and see what that reveals. You know your history, but you need to know what a background check shows. If there is a felony, you will have a problem. That is why you should check, you 'know' your convictions, but what if they were recorded incorrectly?? The time to correct it is way before it becomes an issue.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Beautiful! Thank God I never attempted drunken/drugged driving in my life! Haven't been so much as pulled over in 8 years, so this is good news to me. Thanks, PiedmontSteward.

Good and this would be a horrible time to start. Don't make the same mistakes I've made.. I had a DUI back in 2011 that will keep me out of a package car until at least 2014, should any routes be bidded out any time soon. I keep kicking myself over that. I don't even go out now if I don't have a crisp new $20 bill for the cab ride back in my wallet or a couch to crash on.

J

jibbs

It might be worth your while to do a background check and see what that reveals. You know your history, but you need to know what a background check shows. If there is a felony, you will have a problem. That is why you should check, you 'know' your convictions, but what if they were recorded incorrectly?? The time to correct it is way before it becomes an issue.

That's a great idea, actually, and one I don't think I would've come up with on my own. I can pull my records up on the Maryland Judiciary Case Search, but I'm sure that there are other databases with my information in it as well.

Looking into doing a personal background check now, thanks, barnyard.

texan

Thank you, cachsux. I hope a majority of others feel the same as you.
Many or some have grown up slower than others. All of us have made youthful mistakes.
But growing towards a positive adult lifestyle is an excellent path.
Not learning from our past and to keep repeating young mistakes is a sign that one can not be trusted.

May you continue to grow up and find the path that leads to sound judgement and realize quickly
the consequences of past young actions.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
In my new hire class, we had somebody who was just released (literally) from prison for manslaughter. He's always drove seasonal, coverage & Saturday capacity... now he's FT.

barnyard

KTM rider
In my new hire class, we had somebody who was just released (literally) from prison for manslaughter. He's always drove seasonal, coverage & Saturday capacity... now he's FT.

How long ago???

DOT changed the rules a couple of years back. Wanted 10 year driving histories and I am pretty sure felonies had to be at least 10 years old too.

I would tend to be a little less worried about the kid who stole a car stereo when he was 18 rather than the guy who was drag racing and crashed into a busload of orphans.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How long ago???

DOT changed the rules a couple of years back. Wanted 10 year driving histories and I am pretty sure felonies had to be at least 10 years old too.

He served more than 15 years for manslaughter, so the crime would've been committed nearly 30 years ago. Nonetheless, it appears DOT regulations for CMV apply only to driving offenses.

bluehdmc

He served more than 15 years for manslaughter, so the crime would've been committed nearly 30 years ago. Nonetheless, it appears DOT regulations for CMV apply only to driving offenses.

Don't think he could get a hazmat endorsement from Homeland Security, probably couldn't get an airport ID either. UPS uses their own airport ID's that have a background check but there is a Transport Workers ID Card (TWIC) that's from Homeland Security. The same requirements are used for a Hazmat endorsement.

It's weird you can be convicted of attempted manslaughter, released from prison for I think 5 yrs and get cleared. If you managed to succeed in the manslaughte you're disqualified.

To the OP, it might be worthwhile talking to an attorney about getting your misdemeanor conviction expunged. This way it shouldn't come up on a background check.

J

jibbs

To the OP, it might be worthwhile talking to an attorney about getting your misdemeanor conviction expunged. This way it shouldn't come up on a background check.

I have to wait a little while before that's an available option. I'll most likely be able to get everything expunged before a driving spot's open to me, to be honest.