Legal Marijuana in CO and WA on Jan 1

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Gateway drug...that always cracks me up. Everyone who says marijuana is a gateway drug can never show ANY proof of that. That's called throw crap on the wall and seeing what might stick.

You will find more heroin addicts who started with milk than pot.

My source is experts like Dr Drew Pinsky, who cites numerous studies showing how marijuana alters the brain and is indeed a gateway drug. They also point out that the whole medical weed thing is a farce. Studies point out that Marinol works just as well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My source is experts like Dr Drew Pinsky, who cites numerous studies showing how marijuana alters the brain and is indeed a gateway drug. They also point out that the whole medical weed thing is a farce. Studies point out that Marinol works just as well.
The jury is out to some degree
Marijuana may change the way the brain works, and what capacity for memorization and other things. It's definitely not good for the average person
IMO marijuana is not a "gateway drug", no more than alcohol or cigarettes. myth
And "medical weed" is , IMO, no farce. It certainly has medical value and with time, more value will be uncovered. As studies and new approaches in the scientific community continue.
Also, of course hemp is very valuable and durable for many uses

Overall, marijuana should be legal if alcohol and tobacco are legal. The effects (long-term) are nowhere near as dangerous as the other big two "legal" drugs. I don't personally care, but don't chastise others for using it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Whether you agree or not DOT will not allow you to use marijuana and drive. You could still work in the hub at UPS unless you were noticeable impaired when you tried to work.

upschuck

Thats an old lie about 30 days. Ive blazed up like 3 days before i had to take a test n still passed. I guess if your fatt youll fail easily. If your fairly lean and drink alot of fluid it will come out quick. If your smokin dirt itll come out quick. If your smokin Cali now thats a different story lol.
I suggest no one to follow your guidelines if they want to keep their job.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Nope, not a gateway drug.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I'm asking what's UPS's policy going to be? Will it be on the drug test? what about vacationers?

The only employees who are randomly drug tested are those holding CDLs, as this is required by DOT.

Package car drivers and hub employees typically do not have CDLs. UPS can pursue "reasonable cause" drug testing, according to the NMA, but this requires an observation by two supervisors with "drug awareness" training. UPS can also pursue post-accident testing, which would apply to hub employees or package car drivers getting into an accident. I've never heard of either happening in my area, but it is something UPS can pursue.

Reasonable cause would be defined as the company believing it is reasonable drug use may have contributed to an accident or a driver was operating a vehicle under the influence.

In the case of reasonable-cause/post-accident testing, the employee can opt to give a blood sample along with a urine sample. A positive test means the employee is subject to discharge unless the company/union agree to a lesser penalty (ie. SAP/rehab with random testing). If the urine tests positive but the blood test is negative, they'll receive a warning letter and will be required to complete a company-sponsored rehabilitation program (including random drug tests and counseling).

Companies' policies have not "caught up" with individual state laws on medical pot and probably won't until there's a change on the Federal level.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Thats an old lie about 30 days. Ive blazed up like 3 days before i had to take a test n still passed. I guess if your fatt youll fail easily. If your fairly lean and drink alot of fluid it will come out quick. If your smokin dirt itll come out quick. If your smokin Cali now thats a different story lol.

Wow.

Good thing.... this forum is anonymous. Huh ??

I suggest no one to follow your guidelines if they want to keep their job.

Can't add anything to that.

In the case of reasonable-cause/post-accident testing, the employee can opt to give a blood sample along with a urine sample. A positive test means the employee is subject to discharge unless the company/union agree to a lesser penalty (ie. SAP/rehab with random testing).

Rather than quote PiedmontSteward's entire post (which is spot on)....

I have never seen, the company even contemplate negotiating....

On a positive "reasonable cause" test.

Reason being....

Anyone, who would be so irresponsible to come to work under the influence....

Is not worth the investment of treatment.

-Bug-

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Wow.

Good thing.... this forum is anonymous. Huh ??

Can't add anything to that.

Rather than quote PiedmontSteward's entire post (which is spot on)....

I have never seen, the company even contemplate negotiating....

On a positive "reasonable cause" test.

Reason being....

Anyone, who would be so irresponsible to come to work under the influence....

Is not worth the investment of treatment.

-Bug-

How long has it been since you worked in the building? I could write a book on some of the things I've seen while standing outside the gates hand billing for the local..

That being said, a hub employee would almost have to be falling-down-couch-locked-stoned in order to get tested. And hell, half of the PT supervisor ranks come into work just as blitzed as some of the hourlies.

One thing I forgot to mention: the reason behind giving a blood sample along with a urine sample lies in the difference between an employee currently being impaired (detectable levels in the blood) rather than having used an illegal drug while not on duty (ie. on the weekend). It's not perfect and depends on the test, as marijuana metabolites (for example) can still leave trace levels in the blood even 24-48 after consumption and blood testing for impairment in the medical marijuana states is still a fairly recent development..

Urine testing has always favored cocaine/amphetamine/opiate users as those drugs are typically not detectable 48 hours after consumption. Marijuana and benzodiazepine users (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, etc.) can be pissing out evidence of their use for weeks after consumption.

You are right, it is rare to have a hub employee tested under a fitness for duty evaluation. But it does happen. And if you test hot you are gone. Have seen package car drivers tested after a serious accident. Both blood and urine test.

brown_trousers

I don't know if it is true, but I heard we have contract language regarding the specific quantity of marijuana showing up in a drug screening that is a fireable offense. If you fall below the defined level, it is not a termination, if you are above the defined level it is a termination.

upschuck

I don't know if it is true, but I heard we have contract language regarding the specific quantity of marijuana showing up in a drug screening that is a fireable offense. If you fall below the defined level, it is not a termination, if you are above the defined level it is a termination.
And those levels are being reduced in the new contract. Don't do it and won't have any problems passing the test.

brown_trousers

If you have to worry about passing the test then you DO have a substance abuse problem. Its not worth even risking losing your job over.

That sounds very judgemental. I don't smoke marijuana, but I do consume alcohol recreationally at some social events. Does that mean i have a substance abuse problem?

I would imagine you do not stay awake at night worrying if you will be drug tested the next day. Not every employee can say that. They are the ones with the problem. Of course they deny it.

AndUPSER

If you want to mess with a new employee tell them they have to take a mandatory drug test the next Monday or whatever.

I told a newer guy on my belt that and his reaction was priceless. He dropped the box and his jaw to the ground and he was literally about to cry. He said "My mom and dad made me get this job. I have nothing without this."

I have a better one. Preload manager told a 20+ year seniority Art. 22.3 employee he had to have a fitness for duty evaluation to include a drug test. Pissed hot and was terminated. Months later he accidentally overdosed.