Legal/personal advice. dog bite while working

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you still have that route, you might also consider using the legal leverage you have over the homeowner to try and get them to have the dog euthanized as part of the final settlement. Knowing for certain that the dog will never again be able to attack you might provide you with valuable piece of mind. I am a big old softie when it comes to dogs, mine are my babies, but if they ever bit a person for no reason I would have them put down immediately.

Box_Junkie

Police were notified automatically when I went to E.R. I gave the report while waiting on stitches. From what the attorney told me facial scarring and a job that involves the public, facing another attack everyday while delivering to houses is gonna fetch a hefty amount. If I was offered 5k, I laugh and say see you in court. Like BrownMonster stated my face is gonna be worth much more than that. I'm more inclined to believe the previous poster about UPS getting their money separately than from my settlement as mine is purely pain and suffering money. They have their own suit against them for the comp reimbursement from what I'm hearing. Ironic thing is that this attack happened at the owners mothers house while she was dog sitting, but the actual owners home insurance has to pay because the owner is always responsible for their animal even at another residence when they are not present.

barnyard

KTM rider
One of our driver's was bit on the leg and it required 50ish stiches.

He netted close to $75,000.

His lawyer said they could have gotten more if he sued, but when offered the settlement, he felt it was enough and settled.

$5-10,000 would not be enough for me.

And you are correct, your settlement is separate from UPS' settlement (which is actually going to be the UPS worker's comp carrier for your state.)

L

Loufan

A little off topic but whenever someone new is at the door, (UPS, pizza man, friends, etc) I always put my dog in the back room and no he's never bitten anyone but that's not a risk i'd be willing to take. I think it's stupid that people allow their dogs to do that because when they have to be put down it's not the dog's fault it's their fault.

Back on topic, I have no answers to your questions but i hope you get everything worked out, it sucks you had to go through that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A little off topic but whenever someone new is at the door, (UPS, pizza man, friends, etc) I always put my dog in the back room and no he's never bitten anyone but that's not a risk i'd be willing to take. I think it's stupid that people allow their dogs to do that because when they have to be put down it's not the dog's fault it's their fault. .

My Bassett Hound stands up on the back of the couch in our living room looking out the bay window and howls when he sees that people are at the door. He doesnt howl to be mean, or to act tough or be a watchdog...he howls because when he sees people he wants to give them big slobbery kisses and he usually cant because his legs are too short. I normally just open the front door and let him go out to greet visitors, most of the time he has a chew toy or a ball in his mouth anyway so it would be pretty hard for him to bite anyone even if he were inclined in the least to do so.

kingOFchester

If I hear a dog inside as I wait for a customer, the first thing I do is put my foot against the screen door. It stays there until I make contact with customer and I see the dog is secured.

50wej77

Wedge
Ok, what would you UPSers do? Yellow Lab, been on the route for about 4 years, always an aggressive dog, I always pull up, honk, he comes out, signs for pkg, and gone. This time, nobody home, I see him driving down his driveway, the dogs are running towards his truck about 1/8 mile away, I run to put the pkg on his porch, fast paced back to truck, about 15 yards from truck, look to see if this dog is still following the owners, no dog, get about 10 feet from the truck and hear running, look over, see this dog in mid air, and latches on to my bicep area, missed with my small diad, take him to the ground, bear hug, finally get him to release, grab his mouth with both hands, then 10 seconds later, the owners were right there, and seen the whole thing. In a daze, they get me inside, wrap it, I leave the truck there, he takes me to the hospital, sup shows up thinking its a puncture wound, I told him it was a huge gash, says me and the pm guy can take half the stops and deliver them, he'll take the truck and the other pkgs. Happened at 2pm, got off at 8pm? I deliver to this guy 3 days a week approx. Have a good relationship with him, i'll even take my lunch there to bs about hunting, fishing, etc.... Your thoughts?
IMG_8328.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Ok, what would you UPSers do? Yellow Lab, been on the route for about 4 years, always an aggressive dog, I always pull up, honk, he comes out, signs for pkg, and gone. This time, nobody home, I see him driving down his driveway, the dogs are running towards his truck about 1/8 mile away, I run to put the pkg on his porch, fast paced back to truck, about 15 yards from truck, look to see if this dog is still following the owners, no dog, get about 10 feet from the truck and hear running, look over, see this dog in mid air, and latches on to my bicep area, missed with my small diad, take him to the ground, bear hug, finally get him to release, grab his mouth with both hands, then 10 seconds later, the owners were right there, and seen the whole thing. In a daze, they get me inside, wrap it, I leave the truck there, he takes me to the hospital, sup shows up thinking its a puncture wound, I told him it was a huge gash, says me and the pm guy can take half the stops and deliver them, he'll take the truck and the other pkgs. Happened at 2pm, got off at 8pm? I deliver to this guy 3 days a week approx. Have a good relationship with him, i'll even take my lunch there to bs about hunting, fishing, etc.... Your thoughts?

He is responsible for your injury. Make it so

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
View attachment 14209
If he is your pal, let it go. Looks like he helped you out too. So!e people just have crazy dogs. Learn from it and never ever trust that dog again.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
My Bassett Hound stands up on the back of the couch in our living room looking out the bay window and howls when he sees that people are at the door. He doesnt howl to be mean, or to act tough or be a watchdog...he howls because when he sees people he wants to give them big slobbery kisses and he usually cant because his legs are too short. I normally just open the front door and let him go out to greet visitors, most of the time he has a chew toy or a ball in his mouth anyway so it would be pretty hard for him to bite anyone even if he were inclined in the least to do so.
That is a rare type of personality your dog has. I think 98% are just territorial, and wan to defend the homestead.

ManInBrown

From your description of the injuries and forthcoming surgery you will clear well into 5 figures after Comp is re-paid and your lawyer gets his cut. I would guess somewhere between 40-50K. Driver in my center got bit by Black Lab, some years ago, didn't have a mark on him and got 8K. No puncture wound. Minor scrape that went away after a few weeks.
From the description of your injuries I wouldn't take any settlement that's under 50K in your pocket when its all said and done. Permanent scarring is awful. Very sorry to hear this happened.

O

OLDMAN3

View attachment 14209
Did he volunteer to put the dog down? If not he sure doesn't care about you very much. If it is not put down, it could very well hurt someone else, perhaps a kid. Since he did not volunteer to put it down you should not feel bad about being compensated for your pain, suffering and anxiety in the future. Irresponsible dog owners will continue to be irresponsible until they are held accountable. You should not have been told to finish the work day. You should have been paid 8 hours and sent home.