Less to fill the tank as the economy tanks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One of the side benefits as the economy tanks is that it is costing less to fill the tank.
Hopefully that means that all the other things we buy that increased in price will come down in price as well.
Certainly not a given; what do you think?

upsgrunt

In theory it sounds great and should work that way, but we all know what should happen and what does happen are two different things. Rural remote delivery in theory could have been a great idea, but in reality, it sucked beans.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We just announced a 5.9% rate increase and I filled up at $2.37 a gallon tonight. I don't think that the price of goods will go down because of this. Once the prices rise, they usually stay. Commodities like oil are supply and demand driven.

It did feel great to fill up for $32 today instead of $60 a few weeks ago though! :happy-very:

barnyard

KTM rider
The price of goods will stay right where they are at. That is the way it has happened in the past, businesses had a good excuse to raise prices, now they can actually make some profit.

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Milk is down $1.00 and other grocery items are down too. I think some things will come down in price and I can't wait for gas to be .50¢ again.

Channahon

I see a couple of positive issues with gas prices declining, almost as quickly as they went up earlier this year. There seems to be a hint of fairness for the consumer.

I think with gas prices coming down, there may be more people willing to go out and use those extra bucks, at stores that are closing. Some good deals can be had for the consumer, which hopefully will increase spending and put a spark back in the economy.

Or be able to catch up on past due bills, or learn that whatever they may have cut out their expenses to make ends meet, really wasn't needed.

Or for all the unfortunate people who have lost their jobs due to this economic mess, at least drive to the unemployment office and have their claims honored.

JustTired

free at last.......
I think with gas prices coming down, there may be more people willing to go out and use those extra bucks, at stores that are closing. Some good deals can be had for the consumer, which hopefully will increase spending and put a spark back in the economy.

It will be interesting to see if we've learned anything this time.

Or will everybody go out and buy a big SUV or truck and start the cycle all over again?

chev

Nightcrawler
Milk is down $1.00 and other grocery items are down too. I think some things will come down in price and I can't wait for gas to be .50¢ again.
:laughing: Hell: the average tax on gas is .47¢ a gallon.(Federal and State combined) Don't think they will be repealing that any time soon.

oakcreekteamie

I still dont understand how gas can be so low...could we be dipping into our reserves? Does anyone have a clue on the recent dip in prices at the pump? Around here gas is 2.40 a gallon!!

bears2

We just announced a 5.9% rate increase and I filled up at $2.37 a gallon tonight. I don't think that the price of goods will go down because of this. Once the prices rise, they usually stay. Commodities like oil are supply and demand driven.

It did feel great to fill up for $32 today instead of $60 a few weeks ago though! :happy-very:

i know ups had a 5.9% rate hike but to be fair ,ups did cut their fuel surcharge by 2.9% or something like that. It may not be equal but i just wnated to pointout that ups cut consumers cost elsewhere so it isnt actually 5.9%.

bears2

I still dont understand how gas can be so low...could we be dipping into our reserves? Does anyone have a clue on the recent dip in prices at the pump? Around here gas is 2.40 a gallon!!

Its like they told us before,supply and demand. China's economy was booming, they were using alotta oil,then when the economies crashed oil demand crashed an oil prices crashed.

I'm inclined to believe its all orchestrated. raise the price of oil,then you have to raise the price of everything because of oil prices. Then drop the price of oil an people will be so happy they wont care too much about the price of milk etc. Just happy to have 2.00 gas again.

Good morning america had segment this morning about the prices of consumer goods not coming down with oil prices. Experts agreed that prices of consumer goods wont be coming down with oil prices.

Politicians and powers that be should take note .This drop in oil prices is just a temporary fix. When the economy rebounds so will high oil prices.Instead of relaxing on low oil,we better get to exploring other avenues.

oakcreekteamie

Is this a real question? Are you serious?
Who writes your question for you? :happy-very: (Biden quote)
$2.40 is not low dude!
$1.50 might qualify for low...but not $2.40, although I must admit it is much better than $4.29.

2.40 is low when we had 5.00 a gallon not over 4 months ago! I guess i wont be able to say "low" in your definition of the word for gas and if i do Hell will have a ski resort and Hilary Clinton wont be there.

ikoi62

ill bet we see a great increase in oil prices after the elections next week.
but i don't mind paying $2.20 a gallon this week.:wink2: