Let The Bidding, Begin!

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by stevetheupsguy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Our center bids routes every 2 years. Every route goes up for bid, but usually the same driver keep their route. We have recently brought in 3 routes with 3 high seniority guys. The new senior guys are sniffing out better routes, and it looks like there's gonna be a big shakeup in our center. Sound like it's going to be a lot of fun for the next couple of months. Anything like this happen where you are?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

Our rtes are permanent until either vacated or driver retires. We don't get to have any fun. LOL

3. rod

rod retired and happy

Same here-- bidding every 2 years sounds like just asking for trouble to me.

4. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

We just started two yr bids last year, so we kinda miss the usual Feb. scramble. Everyone had such a swell time guessing who would move & who would be screwed.

5. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

We bid every year, so we get twice the fun :).

6. LastBest&Final

LastBest&Final To Endeavor To Persevere

Dido, except for feeders.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

8. ups79

ups79 Active Member

In my old building when someone came in they only had seniority on vacations, for all other things they went to the bottom of the list. In other words the least senior driver still had seniority over the transfer.

9. disneyworld

disneyworld Active Member

Doesn't the 2 year bid start next year?

10. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Dido bumped me last year. She looks so young, but she has 27 years in...

11. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Package here just went from yearly bid to 2 year bid.

In Feeders, there is bumping going on every time someone sneezes.

12. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Every 6 months here.

13. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Bid time here is always such drama. The same ole drivers start saying they are going to move off their routes and then others get all stressed out that they'll be bumped. The end result is one or two of them will actually move (if any at all) and all the talk and drama ends up being for nothing. It happens every time. My favorite ones are the drivers that talk about moving but everyone knows damn well that they have no intentions of ever moving. The only reason they talk is just to let everyone know that they have "the juice" and could shake things up if they wanted. Kind of like a power trip. So pathetic.

14. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

They weren't really tranferred. Our center took 3 routes from another center. They were originally in our center, as well.

Nope, the list is up already. Someone bumped the shop steward from his cushy route. I'd hate to have to go in the office with him, now.:wink2:

15. ol'browneye

ol'browneye Active Member

We don't have the bid here either. It's your route til you bid off, retire, or die!

There are circumstances such as start time changed more than 1 hour, area changed by more than 50%, etc. that allow a driver to bump a lower seniority driver but those cases are rare.

16. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

I am going to get bumped off my route in May by a driver in my loop who had his route eliminated. Some say he can only bump those that are in his loop, and others say he can bump anyone with lower seniority.

Anyone know for sure? And has it happened in your center?

17. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

Central States (supplement, section on seniority and route changes) is follow your work or bump any junior driver.

If your's is the same Helen, you would then be allowed to bump and then a 3rd bump and that would be it.

18. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

We've had two year bids for at least 20 years. The drama is pretty much as has already been mentioned. My problem is I am # 24 on the seniority list, when it comes my turn, they won't be a decent route left to bid. I'll go Swing/cover again. I just hope no one higher senior than me does the same.

19. Bad Gas!

Bad Gas! Active Member

We started our bids..Top senior guys go for early am routes.In our center, they attach the early am to routes, so you can't keep your route and attach a lower senior drivers early am to it....But in our same building, they attach early am to the route you want in other centers...The shop stewards are no help..

20. gandydancer

gandydancer New Member

By definition, local practice is local. If it changed your "lower senior driver" would have a grievance.