Let the Excuses Begin!

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All,

I was having my vehicle serviced this morning and I couldn't help notice the condition of the service area, the general appearance of the technicians and the cleanliness of the floor.

In short the impression I got from my observation was it was a very professionally run auto shop.

In contrast the UPS auto shop areas appear so much less professionally run.

I have seen my share of UPS auto shops and they all lack in the areas that I have described above.

I am not sharing with the intention of offending anyone and I don't mean to.

Please forgive me in advance if I offend you.

For Discussion:

What do you think about this observation?

Don't be so quick to judge or defend, honest self appraisal often begins the process of self improvement.

How do you feel about the UPS auto shops?

If willing please share your observations and the point of view from which your observations have been acquired.

Sincerely,
I

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
As long as the shop provides a quality repair, I couldn't care less about their shops appearance, or the mechanics appearance for that matter.

If you get my vehicle up and running and want to wear a clown suit while doing it, that's your call.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm happy with ours right now, I could care less what the appearance looks like. I had a set of tires replaced yesterday at a national tire chain store. I read the paper as I drank coffee out from their Keurig coffee pot, it was a nice atmosphere. I sat at a counter and watched them work on my vehicle through the plate glass window overlooking the service bay. I have a great mechanic who keeps my P-700 running well. Tuesday morning somebody slashed one of my tires in the employee's parking lot. My spare was flat and my mechanic helped me fix it, I'm glad I gave him a Longhorn's gift card for Christmas.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The amount of Cars , tractors and trailers these guys work on is unreal!
They do a stand up job and are constantly being pushed to do more.
You are in an auto shop for a 24 hr a day service company,not the Operating Room at Mass General Hospital,

KUDOS AND THANKS TO ALL THE MEN IN BLUE !!!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
New auto repair shops are more of an "experience" or "destination" stop. They want to make you comfortable, & relaxed, so that you become a repeat customer. Big rig truck stops are the same way, it's a for profit business.
Ups repair facilities are set up to keep expenses down for the company. No need for frills. Just stock parts that are needed on a regular basis.

Leftinbuilding

I think you have way too much time on your hands. Except for the newer buildings most of the shops were built with the current needs in mind. As technology has changed and new equipment/tools etc were needed, they were put in based on space availability. Hence a haphazard, unorganized appearance. Too, much depends on the mechanics themselves. We had one mech who was so meticulous he could walk out of the shop and attend a formal wedding in his uniform. We had another that would get greasy walking from the parking lot to the shop. Can't believe I spent this much time on this topic.

Hroller

Appearance is not a priority for a UPS service shop. Now, where you take your personal vehicle, believe it or not, that makes a difference to people who have to decide where to go for repairs/service. It's like the difference between a clean restaurant or not so clean restaurant....the food and service become secondary.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It really depends on the mechanic. I have a good friend that's a mechanic his work space is always impeccable. Most of his co workers not so much.

To All,I was having my vehicle serviced this morning and I couldn't help notice the condition of the service area, the general appearance of the technicians and the cleanliness of the floor. In short the impression I got from my observation was it was a very professionally run auto shop. In contrast the UPS auto shop areas appear so much less professionally run. I have seen my share of UPS auto shops and they all lack in the areas that I have described above.I am not sharing with the intention of offending anyone and I don't mean to.Please forgive me in advance if I offend you.For Discussion:What do you think about this observation?Don't be so quick to judge or defend, honest self appraisal often begins the process of self improvement.How do you feel about the UPS auto shops?If willing please share your observations and the point of view from which your observations have been acquired.Sincerely,I
you need a vacation

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Appearance is not a priority for a UPS service shop. Now, where you take your personal vehicle, believe it or not, that makes a difference to people who have to decide where to go for repairs/service. It's like the difference between a clean restaurant or not so clean restaurant....the food and service become secondary.

Not to me. The food and service are the reason I am in the door. If either of those is sub-par, then I'm not going to visit either of those businesses.

Hroller

Not to me. The food and service are the reason I am in the door. If either of those is sub-par, then I'm not going to visit either of those businesses.

Superballs, I guess I know what you mean....service/food are a priority...but if you have a choice between 2 restaurants with similar food/service, I'm sure you would chose the cleaner of the two.....

Unless of course the dirtier restaurant had a sexier waitress.:cool:

over9five

Staff member
Superballs, I guess I know what you mean....service/food are a priority...but if you have a choice between 2 restaurants with similar food/service, I'm sure you would chose the cleaner of the two.....

Unless of course the dirtier restaurant had a sexier waitress.:cool:

Priorities.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Pesonally I don't feel too committed to my shop area when I have no control over it. PCs are loaded in it and it is used as a dumping ground for everything else during the day. I am virtually outdoors save for some marginal heat and a roof. Most "professional" shops would not expect to hire or keep quality mechanics if these were the working conditions to expect. I have over 50 vehicles assigned to me that I have to deal with along with as many drivers and personalities. All must be running by the next day safely and in no more than 8 hours.My priorities are quality work first, everything else second. Cleanup is a necessary evil and not an end in itself. If you have a problem with the service provided to you AT NO COST then you can consider FEDEX where you can pay for your own and whine all you want.

Johney

I,
Remember the shop you took your car to is there to make a profit. They want you to have a good experience and come back time and time again to have your car serviced. UPS mechanics are there to repair trucks as quick and cheap as possible as they do not make the company money, in reality they cost the company money in their eyes (UPS). What I see is in UPS's way of cost cutting(cutting cars,etc.) I believe automotive is taking a hit also. Remember they do nothing but cost the company money in their eyes with no return for what they spend. We have a great automotive crew where I am, but I can see they are pressured much like us drivers to do it as fast and cheap as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Johney

I don't recall ever coming across anyone at UPS who was not pressured "to do it as fast and cheap as possible".
Your right, but is use to seem like automotive just did their own thing and got what they needed or had what they needed. I see a lot on DVIR's "Parts on order".

undies

The shop in my building is actually quite nice. It's as "Clean" as I would expect from an area that deals with truck repairs all day and night long.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Your right, but is use to seem like automotive just did their own thing and got what they needed or had what they needed. I see a lot on DVIR's "Parts on order".

Usually "parts on order" means just that. If the item is anything out of the ordinary we are not allowed to have it around unless we already have an existing open repair for it. Usually it takes a week to get anything from MDC unless it is ordered NDA and we are pressured not to use that either! If it becomes apparent a part will be needed frequently enough, it can be added to the inventory(SCI), but that requires the help of the overstretched automotive Mgt. Corporate does not give us mechanics that sort of authority to faciltate our work on a daily basis.