Let the Excuses Begin!

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have no problem with a clean shop and I prefer it to be that way. Unfortunately the reality I have is that management wants no Red Tags and we have no spare cars , and we are only allowed 8hrs a day to complete the things we need to do to meet these conditions. This is not a rationalization or an excuse, merely a fact.

I rest my case.
1BROWNWRENCH, Johney,

Those of you who support, justify or rationalize the non professional appearance and non cleanliness in any auto shop are supporting, justifying and rationalizing unsafe management practices.

An unclean work area is an unsafe work area.

Again, I thank all of you for your contribution to this thread.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Repair facilities in this company are a joke, much like the equipment we drive. I don't blame the mechanics, I blame UPS.
cino321,

I agree the responsibility to enforce safe work methods must fall on the auto shop management.

If auto mechanics are trained in safe work methods to keep their work area clean and they fail to fulfill this responsibility then the auto shop management are responsible to see that they do.

Sincerely,
I

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
1BROWNWRENCH,

Are you not trained to keep your work area clean in SWM training?

Sincerely,
I

I am well aware of the value of a clean shop and I persue it when I can but, as I said earlier,production expectations and time limitations don't always permit it. Especially, as I said earlier, when "my" work area is taken over by preload 6 hours into the day. Automotive management is predominantly comprised of former mechanics. They understand this and accept it. I could see your mind was made up on this issue already by the tag line. Anyone else care to join me in talking to a brick wall?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am well aware of the value of a clean shop and I persue it when I can but, as I said earlier,production expectations and time limitations don't always permit it. Especially, as I said earlier, when "my" work area is taken over by preload 6 hours into the day. Automotive management is predominantly comprised of former mechanics. They understand this and accept it. I could see your mind was made up on this issue already by the tag line. Anyone else care to join me in talking to a brick wall?
1BROWNWRENCH,

I understand the bad, conflicted position your managements failure to make safety the priority may put you in, however this does not absolve you of the responsiblility to follow UPS Safe Work Practices.

Is safety your utmost concern when you perform your job? This is a yes or no answer.

Do you believe that an unclean work area is an unsafe work area? This is a yes or no answer.

Have you been trained on UPS SWM?

Sincerely,
I

Leftinbuilding

1BROWNWRENCH,

I understand the bad, conflicted position your managements failure to make safety the priority may put you in, however this does not absolve you of the responsiblility to follow UPS Safe Work Practices.

Is safety your utmost concern when you perform your job? This is a yes or no answer.

Do you believe that an unclean work area is an unsafe work area? This is a yes or no answer.

Sincerely,
I

For crying out loud I, are you for real? Brown already explained to you the conditions at his shop. No one is looking for absolution. Your questions are moot because he has no control over his work area. Sheesh! And you forgot to ad, "Have you been trained on UPS SWM?" requires a yes or no answer also. Just helping your interrogation be thorough.

texan

For crying out loud I, are you for real? Brown already explained to you the conditions at his shop. No one is looking for absolution. Your questions are moot because he has no control over his work area. Sheesh! And you forgot to ad, "Have you been trained on UPS SWM?" requires a yes or no answer also. Just helping your interrogation be thorough.
I also will not answer this posters interrogations.....

Bless him or her, but they want want your height, weight, year of birth, and many other
items to narrow you down.

Wonder sometimes if their I.P. comes from Atlanta, no matter who vouches for them.

I have nothing to hide, as I do not bash UPS. They pay me, and I appreciate it.

But I do wonder about the probing questions that keep going on and on....

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

Bless him or her, but they want want your height, weight, year of birth, and many other

Wonder sometimes if their I.P. comes from Atlanta, no matter who vouches for them.

I've thought about blocking my IP address. Lots of odd, probing questions from some posters.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
1BROWNWRENCH,

Sincerely,
I
I do work safely because in the nature of my work there is a real and persistent threat of death and disfigurement. I don't need any corporate training to have self preservation skills and be able to recognize hazardous situations. I like having all my fingers.(and so does my Wife) I have NEVER had an injury due to poor housekeeping and it has never been allowed to get where it could. So the unsafeness is debateable from that standpoint.So yes safety has always been a priority. I have been trained in SWM but that does not change the laws of time and space. I do the best that I can with what resources I have at my disposal.
Excuse me now......I am done here. I need to go and unsafely/unprofessionally service and repair package cars at an inadequate facility with inadequate time for my 11th year with an excellent cardays-per-roadcall and 11 years safe work. Such a shame I did it all wrong!

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Leftinbuilding,

I appreciate your desire to speak on behalf of 1BROWNWRENCH, that is an admirable quality.

I respectfully disagree with you statement about control.

Every adult person is responsible for their actions.

Employees can't blame faulty management for violations of safe work methods.

I am interrogating no one. I am engaging in a discussion on an online forum.

FYI Sometimes questions are part of the give and take that happens in a discussion.

Thank for your assistance with my post but I intentionally left that part out.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster

texan,

I have never asked for anyone's, height, weight, year of birth or any thing else to narrow anyone down.

If you can prove otherwise please do and I will gladly repent.

I realize you are a learned person of the faith and I respect that.

Honest appraisal of one's shortcomings or the shortcomings of the organization that your work for can lead to growth.

This honest appraisal is often the beginning requirement of the process of positive change.

Individuals who are in denial or are uncomfortable with this type of honest self appraisal often will view this type of personal inventory as bashing.

My experience has shown me that they are often always looking for the positive in situations, for they dare not look at the negative.

They are not yet emotionally or spiritually at a place where they can stomach the sight of their flaws.

I am not suggesting that this applies to you I am just responding to your post in discussion.

I want nothing but the best for UPS. I long for positive change in UPS.

This can only happen to the extent that each employee makes integrity the core of everything they do as they conduct themselves as employees of this great company.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I do work safely because in the nature of my work there is a real and persistent threat of death and disfigurement. I don't need any corporate training to have self preservation skills and be able to recognize hazardous situations. I like having all my fingers.(and so does my Wife) I have NEVER had an injury due to poor housekeeping and it has never been allowed to get where it could. So the unsafeness is debateable from that standpoint.So yes safety has always been a priority. I have been trained in SWM but that does not change the laws of time and space. I do the best that I can with what resources I have at my disposal.
Excuse me now......I am done here. I need to go and unsafely/unprofessionally service and repair package cars at an inadequate facility with inadequate time for my 11th year with an excellent cardays-per-roadcall and 11 years safe work. Such a shame I did it all wrong!
1BROWNWRENCH,

You should feel good about your stated accomplishments.

I in no way intend on trying to make you feel otherwise.

I thank you so much for your willingness to discuss this situation with me.

Some others come to this site and are more or less sarcastic fools who lend very little to productive interaction in discussion threads.

You have been much different. You have been very engaging in your posting.

Your management fails you and fails UPS as a whole by not allowing you the time and space necessary to keep your work area clean throughout the day.

In regards to floors, oil spills should be avoided but when they happen, to prevent slips and falls hazards, they should be cleaned up as they happen.

Your management should see that you have the time necessary to do this.

Sincerely,
I

texan

texan,

I have never asked for anyone's, height, weight, year of birth or any thing else to narrow anyone down.

If you can prove otherwise please do and I will gladly repent.

I realize you are a learned person of the faith and I respect that.

Honest appraisal of one's shortcomings or the shortcomings of the organization that your work for can lead to growth.

This honest appraisal is often the beginning requirement of the process of positive change.

Individuals who are in denial or are uncomfortable with this type of honest self appraisal often will view this type of personal inventory as bashing.

My experience has shown me that they are often always looking for the positive in situations, for they dare not look at the negative.

They are not yet emotionally or spiritually at a place where they can stomach the sight of their flaws.

I am not suggesting that this applies to you I am just responding to your post in discussion.

I want nothing but the best for UPS. I long for positive change in UPS.

This can only happen to the extent that each employee makes integrity the core of everything they do as they conduct themselves as employees of this great company.

Sincerely,
I
Bless you, I mean no harm. But you do ask very probing questions.
Forgive me, bad moment and day.
I just do not understand why you keep drilling down and drilling down.
Some of your questions are too exposing for us who desire to remain hidden as to our true identity.
I also desire the best for UPS. I never post negatives about our company on this forum.
I have had moments where I might have shared a little frustration, but it is very rare.
I still wonder about your position. If you are not a Corporate inquirer, they should consider
moving you to that position. No disrepect, but what do you gleen from the info you obtain?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
1BROWNWRENCH,

You should feel good about your stated accomplishments.

I in no way intend on trying to make you feel otherwise.

I thank you so much for your willingness to discuss this situation with me.

Some others come to this site and are more or less sarcastic fools who lend very little to productive interaction in discussion threads.

You have been much different. You have been very engaging in your posting.

Your management fails you and fails UPS as a whole by not allowing you the time and space necessary to keep your work area clean throughout the day.

In regards to floors, oil spills should be avoided but when they happen, to prevent slips and falls hazards, they should be cleaned up as they happen.

Your management should see that you have the time necessary to do this.

Sincerely,
I

Thanks. I always do my best. Lubricants on the floor are a threat and I deal with them immedidately for my own safety as well as the safety of others passing through.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Bless you, I mean no harm. But you do ask very probing questions.
Forgive me, bad moment and day.
I just do not understand why you keep drilling down and drilling down.
Some of your questions are too exposing for us who desire to remain hidden as to our true identity.
I also desire the best for UPS. I never post negatives about our company on this forum.
I have had moments where I might have shared a little frustration, but it is very rare.
I still wonder about your position. If you are not a Corporate inquirer, they should consider
moving you to that position. No disrepect, but what do you gleen from the info you obtain?
texan,

I have never felt that you were against me or insulting in any way.

I have no desire to get personal on this forum, I have limited and have only become a bit more personal in private interactions.

The questions I ask are to stimulate the discussion and to attempt to keep the discussion on point and topic.

I'm sure you have noticed that it seems that some individuals purpose for coming here is to derail, control, manipulate discussions.

It seems some come here just to insult others. It reminds me of some of the discussion sessions that I used to have in the bar rooms that I frequented.

I judge them not. If that is what they think they need to fill themsleves then so be it, I just try to steer clear and minister to them if I feel it is appropriate.

I think there is benefit in professionally, politely sharing and discussing negatives that we may encounter as we seek to make UPS better day by day.

I think there is benefit in discussing these types of issues anonymously on this forum.

I am not a corporate inquirer.

Some of the interactions and information in the past has led me to report some concerns that I have discussed here.

For the most part I come to the Brown Cafe because it is by far the best available forum for me to enter in serious discussions and ask serious questions.

Sincerely,
I