Let's Get the New Year Started Right "On Topic" Safety is the greatest most extreme issue.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The safety committee in my building was hand picked by management and has spun off 2 new on-car supes in the last 3 years.

Ok.

They use safety as a guise to code out time for operational tasks, often "off the book" falsifications.

Maybe.

It's one thing.... to think it.

These committee members perform many tasks I feel are managerial duties.

Could you be more specific ?

There is rarely any mangers in the building past 5pm.

Would you be willing to "exchange" your compensation.... for theirs ? :biggrin:

The co-chair in my center hasn't run his bid route in years and not one grievance has been filed from any so called safety committee member.

If that is an issue....

Why haven't you filed a grievance ?

If I have my way, and a movement is afoot, there will be no more safety committee in my building in the very near future.

Ok.

I might need some help BUG

I find that hard to believe.

My local officials are "go along to get along" with regards to the company.

That is a topic...you need to address, at your next Local Union monthly meeting.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You really feel that it is "OK" for the safety committe to be hand picked by management, with no input from the local?

Maybe.
It's one thing.... to think it.

It's easily proven, but nobody seems to care.
Each center has what they call a "center DIAD" that is supposed to be for reconciling plib's and damages.
These safety monkeys run around all day delivering with these DIAD's or shuttling while a large portion of their day is coded as "safety".

Could you be more specific ?

The co-chair has his own desk and computer in the on-car office, complete with a bulletin board and framed pictures of his family.
He rosters and processes all safety paperwork and has access to the entire email system.
He routinely participates in the weekly regional conference call.
He has organized safety fairs, visits from firemen, motorcycle cops and even a penguin from the zoo to teach us how to walk on ice.
He drives a UPS truck in the Opening Day Parade every year while on the clock as a "driver".
A couple of months ago, while on the clock and as the only hourly employee included, he helped build a wheel chair ramp for charity with a crew of center managers.
He hasn't run his bid route, or any other route for that matter, for years.
He routinely "works" 12 hours a day (except Fridays) and hasn't made less than $100,000 a year while in this role.
I could write several more paragraphs, but I think you get the picture.

Would you be willing to "exchange" your compensation.... for theirs ?

If it was more, sure.
I know I contribute more to the success of the company than any one of them I have ever met.

If that is an issue....
Why haven't you filed a grievance ?

I have filed plenty and that isn't the point.

I find that hard to believe.

A one man band doesn't make very good "music".

That is a topic...you need to address, at your next Local Union monthly meeting.

There was actually one last night at 7pm and every first Tuesday of the month.
Unfortunately, I clocked out at 8:30.
I go to every one I can, along with about 12 out of 4000 members of my local...sound familiar?

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You really feel that it is "OK" for the safety committe to be hand picked by management, with no input from the local?

They can be replaced. The language is there.

We've done it.

The co-chair has his own desk and computer in the on-car office, complete with a bulletin board and framed pictures of his family.
He rosters and processes all safety paperwork and has access to the entire email system.
He routinely participates in the weekly regional conference call.
He has organized safety fairs, visits from firemen, motorcycle cops and even a penguin from the zoo to teach us how to walk on ice.
He drives a UPS truck in the Opening Day Parade every year while on the clock as a "driver".
A couple of months ago, while on the clock and as the only hourly employee included, he helped build a wheel chair ramp for charity with a crew of center managers.
He hasn't run his bid route, or any other route for that matter, for years.
He routinely "works" 12 hours a day (except Fridays) and hasn't made less than $100,000 a year while in this role.
I could write several more paragraphs, but I think you get the picture.

We have them too.

A one man band doesn't make very good "music".

I understand that.

There was actually one last night at 7pm and every first Tuesday of the month.

That doesn't sound very convenient....

When they "know" the majority of the members are working.

I go to every one I can, along with about 12 out of 4000 members of my local...sound familiar?

You're preaching to the choir.

But, do you think Fred and his "merry band" of (wanna be) career politicians....

Are going to change that ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You're preaching to the choir.

But, do you think Fred and his "merry band" of (wanna be) career politicians....

...are going to change that ?

-Bug-

I see local monthly membership meeting attendance to be a local issue, so no, I wouldn't expect any General President to have much influence on that dynamic.
That will be a mission of mine when I am elected in 2016 to my local's executive board.

I can tell you I was in attendance for a Local 89 contract meeting and the house was packed, unlike the 25 that showed up for your local's meeting.
So perhaps Fred can provide an example as to how to engage the membership?

Either way, I wll be being saying NO TO THE STATUS QUO in 2016.
So your boy Jimmy better find a way to reinvent himself between now and then, if it isn't too late.

upschuck

There is a big difference in attendance between a regular meeting and a contract meeting at every local, I would guess.

first lady hh 3

Smalls n everything else!
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

In the Preamble of Article 18 of the Master states that UPS and the IBT have developed a National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Committee.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Does anyone know how this Committee can be contacted?

Does anyone know who in the IBT is in this Committee?

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Sincerely,
I

first lady hh 3

Smalls n everything else!
As I work at CACH, there is a 'safety committe', (LOL) provided under THIS provision.
THIS group ordered out a lot ( food ), did useless surveys, n accomplished zero. Been there, got the Orange shirt...Overwhelming paperwork... 705 BA asked me to to email paperwork involved..declined.