Let's have some real talk about UPS' attendance policy

EmraldArcher

In my center none of the cover drivers want to work. Its pathetic. They all come in hoping to be scheduled off everyday. And when they are assigned to a route all they do is piss and moan about how bad the route is and what's wrong with it.(sorry buddy, they are ALL bad and ALL of them have many things wrong with them and that is NEVER going to change)

What goes through their heads? I mean they get up, shower, make a lunch, put on their browns, drive to UPS and then what? They are expecting not to work? And they're disappointed when they have to?

During the slow times there is a whole bunch of them standing around with nothing to do. I could offer them $100 to take my route out for the day and they would turn me down.

I'm assuming these cover drivers will get their own route one day and then what? They will have to work everyday. Or more likely they will call out sick all the time and turn into the people we are talking about with the attendance problems.

How do you get up in the morning, prepare for work, go to work, and then get upset when you actually have to work? I don't get it. You wouldn't believe the crying when one of them is assigned to a route they hate (which is most of them). All you hear is them whining to the sup. how bad it is. And all you want to say is "buddy, you're a cover driver. shut up and do it like a man." "Does your wife know you're this big of a sissy?" "Does she know she married a baby with no work ethic?" "what does your father-in-law think about your lazy ass?"

I pan-handled for routes when I was cover.

I believe this is a scenario unique to UPS and doesn't exist in 99% of American workplaces.

So cover drivers just show up at start time without having been told to report to work in your center?

barnyard

KTM rider
I have seen several PTers fired for attendance issues. Another got a 3 day suspension because there were PT people laid off and he was 30 minutes plus late every day for a week.

My 2nd year of PT, another guy and I were both recognized as having had 100% attendance for the previous year.

1 FT guy was fired because he quit showing up. He pretty much quit by not showing up.

Island

I knew a pt employee once who was dealing drugs on the side (outside work). Each time he talked about it I was pretty amazed - we work on federal land. He missed a lot of work and showed up late a lot but he worked really hard so the company never did anything to him. Other people got the full effect of the double standard, naturally.
A little while after he bought his second classic mustang, he suddenly vanished. The company couldn't get in contact with him. For a long time they kept him on all the paperwork in hopes he would show up. I assume that they eventually had to cry over the "show up or you're fired" letter because I noticed he wasn't on the roster after several months. If he got in deep with a mexican cartel or got thrown in prison somewhere, the company never found out about it.
Point being it was disappointing to see how much slack they cut him just because he worked hard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So cover drivers just show up at start time without having been told to report to work in your center?

Our cover drivers, unless already scheduled, are required to call in at least an hour before start time to see if they are needed. Any cover driver worth his salt will show up each and every day dressed and ready to work as there is always someone who is willing to go home. This is what I did way back in 1989----it worked then and it can still work today.

Johney

Our cover drivers, unless already scheduled, are required to call in at least an hour before start time to see if they are needed. Any cover driver worth his salt will show up each and every day dressed and ready to work as there is always someone who is willing to go home. This is what I did way back in 1989----it worked then and it can still work today.
It use to be like this here. Now they just lay off the bottom guys then have barely enough to fill seats when something goes wrong (call out's).

dudebro

I knew a pt employee once who was dealing drugs on the side (outside work). Each time he talked about it I was pretty amazed - we work on federal land. He missed a lot of work and showed up late a lot but he worked really hard so the company never did anything to him. Other people got the full effect of the double standard, naturally.
A little while after he bought his second classic mustang, he suddenly vanished. The company couldn't get in contact with him. For a long time they kept him on all the paperwork in hopes he would show up. I assume that they eventually had to cry over the "show up or you're fired" letter because I noticed he wasn't on the roster after several months. If he got in deep with a mexican cartel or got thrown in prison somewhere, the company never found out about it.
Point being it was disappointing to see how much slack they cut him just because he worked hard.

Some may not like it, but that's just the way it is in the real world. If you were running, say, Island Enterprises, and you had a similar employee, you'd probably try to take care of him / her as much as you could, within reason.

Sent using BrownCafe App

some1else

Banned
That stinks our supplement there are no cover drivers. Everyone is fulltime 8 hour gaurantee. Most junior drivers (and some senior) are "unassigned" which means they run whatever route is open due to sick, personal, disability etc. unnassigned drivers can bid to cover vacation weeks. Same pay, same vacation etc. when we have extra people there is a "request off" list which is senority based. Most senior driver goes home first etc.

I cant believe your supplement allows people to be "on call" with no gurantee and allows junior employees to go home before a senior employee. Do the "casual" make less money also?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I cant believe your supplement allows people to be "on call" with no gurantee and allows junior employees to go home before a senior employee. Do the "casual" make less money also?

Yes, casuals make less money.

Our casuals could work every day if they wanted to. Most don't want to.

It is normally the senior guys who choose to go home if there is a casual standing there who wants to work and has area knowledge.

EmraldArcher

My center tried to pull the "call every morning at 7:30 to see if we need you" crap. My life doesn't allow me to be out of the house for 10-12 hours on no notice and there is nothing in our supplement that requires this.

They even tried to tell me I had to disqualify myself if I couldn't call every day.

On-roads don't like to be laughed at.

There is one driver in my center that calls in sick every week for the last couple of years. If he doesn't call in sick he goes on disability for about 6 months at a time. Nothing is wrong with him. He just doesn't like the job. How he gets away with this nobody knows. If someone else did this he would get disciplined. There definitely is favoritism in my center. Nobody wants to bring this up because everybody is afraid of the driver. He goes on yelling and screaming matches with the supervisors.

Last edited:

Island

There is one driver in my center that calls in sick every week for the last couple of years. If he doesn't call in sick he goes on disability for about 6 months at a time. Nothing is wrong with him. He just doesn't like the job. How he gets away with this nobody knows. If someone else did this he would get disciplined. There definitely is favoritism in my center. Nobody wants to bring this up because everybody is afraid of the driver. He goes on yelling and screaming matches with the supervisors.
what local and what hub? I'm going to transfer there if your local is really that good. I will pack my bags tonight.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
That stinks our supplement there are no cover drivers. Everyone is fulltime 8 hour gaurantee. Most junior drivers (and some senior) are "unassigned" which means they run whatever route is open due to sick, personal, disability etc. unnassigned drivers can bid to cover vacation weeks. Same pay, same vacation etc. when we have extra people there is a "request off" list which is senority based. Most senior driver goes home first etc.

PT Regular Cover Drivers (PT'ers who are given an 8 hour guarantee when called/reporting as a driver) are actually a concession on the part of the union. Permitting the company to use non-FT cover drivers on a limited/seasonal/temporary basis (varies by supplements, some only allow them to be used a certain period in the year or only a limited number of reports) allows the company to further delay hiring more FT drivers.