Let's have some real talk about UPS' attendance policy

Island

Last week a coworker of mine was fired over attendance. To be fair, it was pretty bad attendance. On the flip side of this he had begun getting with the union to get help with management harassment, etc.
My assumption would be that a BA would jump at the chance to bring a person like that into the fold. "Show up to work more often so you can tell me all about the stuff they do to you - let's make you some money," a real BA would say.
Instead they threw him under the bus.
Meanwhile there's probably a dozen employees who no-call at minimum one day per week year-round and they've never lost their jobs because they kiss asses on both sides of the property line. I find our attendance policy lacking. On one occasion when discussing this with my BA he told me that he isn't going to change the way he protects people because he knows the company will start telling people that the union wants them to fire everyone. I said, why would you be worried about this when you can just send a memo to all the members that counters what the company says with the truth?
He had nothing to say to that.

Patg0058

I went from being seasonal to permanent and I want to stay out for my daughters birthday do I call out or tell my sup I won't be able to come in that day me just changing over i don't want to lose my job

km3

I went from being seasonal to permanent and I want to stay out for my daughters birthday do I call out or tell my sup I won't be able to come in that day me just changing over i don't want to lose my job

Just call in. They don't need to know the reason.

"I won't be in today." -- that's all you need.

upschuck

If you miss work during your probationary period, you probably won't make it, unless they really, really love you. Suck it up for that period of time, change when you have your daughter's get-together.