Lets say....

Ghost in the Darkness

Say you put in 30 years as a FT driver and had 7 years as a PT prior to going FT. Would you get both pensions or does it cut off at 30 and you would just get the FT pension... (not that there will be any pension left to get anyway).

upschuck

I believe I got a buddy who gets 3 checks, PT, union FT, and UPS FT. Don't remember who it was, maybe I read it on here.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Is this the reason why the pension is in the green and funded by almost 92%...all of those part-timers leaving after a year???
I don't think it's that simple. It certainly helps; but, the 2 other Teamster MEPFs that I know has part-timers, did not fare so well (New England & Upstate NY).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is this the reason why the pension is in the green and funded by almost 92%...all of those part-timers leaving after a year???
I don't think it's that simple. It certainly helps; but, the 2 other Teamster MEPFs that I know has part-timers, did not fare so well (New England & Upstate NY).

While the pension contributions of those PTers who do not stay until they are vested (5 years) remain in the fund, they make a negligible difference.

Our pension fund is about 46% funded and we are anticipating cuts of about 20% for actives, 35% for UPS retirees and up to 50% for orphan retirees.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
While the pension contributions of those PTers who do not stay until they are vested (5 years) remain in the fund, they make a negligible difference.

Our pension fund is about 46% funded and we are anticipating cuts of about 20% for actives, 35% for UPS retirees and up to 50% for orphan retirees.
And you guys continue to receive a full year towards your pension after only 1000 hours worked ??

How Now Brown Cow

Why wasn't that changed years ago... Western conference is 2080 hours....are there other pensions that you know of that have 1000 hours for a full year pension credit??
Does that mean western can't get full year pension credit if they take even just one dead day? Since ups doesn't contribute to the pension on overtime hours.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Does that mean western can't get full year pension credit if they take even just one dead day? Since ups doesn't contribute to the pension on overtime hours.
I don't think so...usually if you are working a minimum of 45 hours a week you should be well above 2080... You can still take dead days..

How Now Brown Cow

I don't think so...usually if you are working a minimum of 45 hours a week you should be well above 2080... You can still take dead days..

You're right about working well above 2080 hours, but there would max of 2080 paid into the pension on your behalf since they don't pay into the pension on overtime. Any straight time hours you don't work, wouldn't be paid into the pension and put you below that 2080. I'm not sure if I am saying that in a way that it even makes sense.

onestoptogo

You're right about working well above 2080 hours, but there would max of 2080 paid into the pension on your behalf since they don't pay into the pension on overtime. Any straight time hours you don't work, wouldn't be paid into the pension and put you below that 2080. I'm not sure if I am saying that in a way that it even makes sense.
The regular hours and overtime hours all count until you get to 2080. This basically means your yearly pension contributions are done by October. The advantage to this if you are off for awhile you can make up for the lost hours with overtime hours later. They pay around $11 hour into the fund so over$20,000 is contributed if you work 2080 hours. With the dismal accrual rate of 1.2% it amounts to slightly over $200 dollars a month for life for each year worked.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
You max out each year at 2080 hours, (in the Western Conference) meaning the contributions stop there annually, however your 2 yearly points are based on your birthday and your annual eligibility date.
Your accrued points, of which you need at least 80, are what determines your retirement date, while your accrued contributions determine your monthly retirement check size.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The regular hours and overtime hours all count until you get to 2080. This basically means your yearly pension contributions are done by October. The advantage to this if you are off for awhile you can make up for the lost hours with overtime hours later. They pay around $11 hour into the fund so over$20,000 is contributed if you work 2080 hours. With the dismal accrual rate of 1.2% it amounts to slightly over $200 dollars a month for life for each year worked.
That would be 6 grand at 30 years. Dismal to the tune of almost double my pension.

onestoptogo

That would be 6 grand at 30 years. Dismal to the tune of almost double my pension.
If I had all the money UPS has contributed to my pension plan and just invested myself I would be a muti millionaire. $20,000 a year is a lot. The fund is getting stronger and stronger because they are taking in a boatload of money and paying out a very small percent.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why wasn't that changed years ago... Western conference is 2080 hours....are there other pensions that you know of that have 1000 hours for a full year pension credit??
We only have to work 1 day a month....only local in the country like that though.