Letter of record

packagemandan

South fl. shop steward, getting alot of OJS letter of record rides here, trying to hold drivers to fluffed up perfect loads no split days as a stop per hour. Complete with notice of discharges, signed off on a record 9 for one driver. Its become so common discipline like this has become unaffective. Any other centers dealing with this harrasment? No drivers have been terminated but it is quite annoying.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
South fl. shop steward, getting alot of OJS letter of record rides here, trying to hold drivers to fluffed up perfect loads no split days as a stop per hour. Complete with notice of discharges, signed off on a record 9 for one driver. Its become so common discipline like this has become unaffective. Any other centers dealing with this harrasment? No drivers have been terminated but it is quite annoying.
In my area when Production Grievances reach the panel they are automatically dismissed,the panel refuses to even hear them. I'd suggest filing on every one and pushing them to panel

packagemandan

We have to from the beginning to the end, we have a center manager that is hellbent on trying to fire someone for production, getting daily discharge notices for not meeting their embellished numbers. We are sick of the harassment and I feel the union needs to file a labor charge violation. Grievances don't bother management unless its monetary.

upserr1

So New England seems to be company wide Union needs to get a backbone harassment out of control we have had drivers fired only to be reinstated same BS Hoffa useless along with rest need new blood vote Hoffa out anybody else has to be better

Johney

I too am in so Fla and we just had a driver fired for performance in the other center last week. Same thing different SPORH when on an OJS then alone.

tourists24

I too am in so Fla and we just had a driver fired for performance in the other center last week. Same thing different SPORH when on an OJS then alone.
Is this a case that was lost at the panel or was he/she just fired by the center manager?

Johney

I'm not sure on the whole story. I heard he was walked out for performance(and not knowing DOK).Also heard he missed filing a grievance on a letter of discharge for performance and it was also mentioned at some PCM's "Don't think you can't be fired for performance". This all happened last week.He doesn't work in my center but I do know him. Actually I heard two people but I don't know that for sure.

tourists24

I'm not sure on the whole story. I heard he was walked out for performance(and not knowing DOK).Also heard he missed filing a grievance on a letter of discharge for performance and it was also mentioned at some PCM's "Don't think you can't be fired for performance".This all happened last week.
thx for the info... keep us posted on the outcome... I am always interested in hearing these production cases. The DOK stuff will never stick as long as they attempt them whether they know them or not.... the production is a case by case thing

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Is this a case that was lost at the panel or was he/she just fired by the center manager?

Curious about that myself. We just recently had a guy who was given a "lock in" ride, then fired repeatedly by the center manager every time he failed to maintain the established SPORH. By the time he went upstairs I think he had at least 4 article 7 terminations. Every one of them was thrown out.

tourists24

Curious about that myself. We just recently had a guy who was given a "lock in" ride, then fired repeatedly by the center manager every time he failed to maintain the established SPORH. By the time he went upstairs I think he had at least 4 article 7 terminations. Every one of them was thrown out.
exactly why it interests me too Jones. UPS is trying to push the production issue, but very few are actually making it to panel. It is true they can technically win a case, but they have to really show a difference in standards when a supervisor isnt riding. AND it also has to be when the route is the same over a period of time, which most of us know rarely happens; making it hard for them to get a case to stick

Johney

thx for the info... keep us posted on the outcome... I am always interested in hearing these production cases. The DOK stuff will never stick as long as they attempt them whether they know them or not.... the production is a case by case thing
I will keep you posted.

bigblu 2 you

send as many grievances as needed to the panel,do not let the local level drop any unless you get the agreement you want and sign off only on precedent setting.right now k hall and hoffa say they are cracking down on this abuse,,,,let them prove it.production is garbage,fair days work is not.dok is not a punishable offense ,put forth a effort only,if you are terminated for that go get a labor lawyer and send them a message,.good luck and stay strong.

packagemandan

We had a guy here in our center terminated because he failed to file a grievance within the ten day time frame, the discharge letter was for performance, that wasn't the reason he lost his job, he failed to respond, it could have been for any reason, safety dok anything he just didnt file in time...21 years now we are fighting to hopefully get his job back. Managements touting the case as production, this is not true..

Johney

We had a guy here in our center terminated because he failed to file a grievance within the ten day time frame, the discharge letter was for performance, that wasn't the reason he lost his job, he failed to respond, it could have been for any reason, safety dok anything he just didnt file in time...21 years now we are fighting to hopefully get his job back. Managements touting the case as production, this is not true..
Please keep us all informed as to what happens.

packagemandan

this is nothing more than mental warfare, push one guy then the guy next to him gets nervouse, and so on. People start skipping lunches to avoid the harrasment, it's sad to see a 24 year vet skipping lunch just because they tightened his route up, they need to grow a pair and start using the best tool to go slower the company provided them "methods" The company knows exactly what they are doing, we need to call the bluff!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

this is nothing more than mental warfare, push one guy then the guy next to him gets nervouse, and so on. People start skipping lunches to avoid the harrasment, it's sad to see a 24 year vet skipping lunch just because they tightened his route up, they need to grow a pair and start using the best tool to go slower the company provided them "methods" The company knows exactly what they are doing, we need to call the bluff!

This is all well and good but if you are running a 16.5 SPORH with a sup on car and a 12.5 when you are alone something is wrong somewhere.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is all well and good but if you are running a 16.5 SPORH with a sup on car and a 12.5 when you are alone something is wrong somewhere.

Yup, like maybe your route changed by almost 50%, your section of townhouse resis got replaced with a split of dirt road country and your miles went from 105 to 145. This is a routine occurrence on my route and at least half the routes in my center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup, like maybe your route changed by almost 50%, your section of townhouse resis got replaced with a split of dirt road country and your miles went from 105 to 145. This is a routine occurrence on my route and at least half the routes in my center.

If this is the case I would hope that these changes would be taken in to consideration.

No route is 100% the same each and every day. I am on vacation this week but the week before the college kids had moved back in and my route got slammed; however, my SPORH actually went up due to the density of the college housing. It was not uncommon to get 3-4 stops in the same house.

I am talking about, with all else being equal, the guy who does a 16.5 with company and a 12.5 by himself.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If this is the case I would hope that these changes would be taken in to consideration.

No route is 100% the same each and every day. I am on vacation this week but the week before the college kids had moved back in and my route got slammed; however, my SPORH actually went up due to the density of the college housing. It was not uncommon to get 3-4 stops in the same house.

I am talking about, with all else being equal, the guy who does a 16.5 with company and a 12.5 by himself.

I agree that would be a serious problem, but have you ever seen a variation that big on route that hasn't changed at all? Because I haven't. I have seen a driver get an article 7 termination because his sporh went from 18.5 to 17.9 and a center manager who didn't even want to talk about the variations in the drivers day that led to the variation in sporh. That termination was tossed out, but it should never have been given in the first place.