LF friendly Steward to answer a question

Catatonic

Nine Lives
.... what really surprises me is that this thread has remained in the "UPS Discussions Forum" instead of being moved to the "Labor Relations Forum." I would have thought the Moderators would have been tripping over each other in their eagerness to scold Sciatic by saying, "Shame on you Sciatic. The nerve!!!":happy-very:

Pretty borderline IMO. I can see your point though.
We'll try and do better. :wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Second opinions are great........from someone with a name. Someone that can be held responsible should you decide to go with what they recommend.

Cant wait to hear what the response would be that, I quoted Hoax and Over 9.5 in my grievance.:wink2:

d

Quoting someone with the name Hoax is probably not a good idea. :wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
But all things considered, there was a person that could not get a thing done in his situation, and someone named Hoax did have the answers and got results when he got involved.:wink2:

d

tieguy

Banned
Seems we need to change the title of this thread to:
"Looking for [-]friendly[/-] grouchy Steward to answer a question"

The (real) Steward appears to be saying that Sciatic should be paid the Cover Driver rate, even though he is not Cover Driving. The Steward may be correct, but there's nothing wrong with asking for a second opinion.

But what really surprises me is that this thread has remained in the "UPS Discussions Forum" instead of being moved to the "Labor Relations Forum." I would have thought the Moderators would have been tripping over each other in their eagerness to scold Sciatic by saying, "Shame on you Sciatic. The nerve!!!":happy-very:

Could a good second opinion be that you should listen to the steward that knows your local supplement? just a thought.

JonFrum

Could a good second opinion be that you should listen to the steward that knows your local supplement? just a thought.
Tie, despite the confidence you and Dannyboy have in Sciatic's Steward, all we know about him is that Sciatic says he's very young in age and experience.

I maintain that all issues should be researched as throughly as possible, as long as someone has the time and the access to the additional sources.

More knowledge is better than less, even if it ultimately turns out that the first opinion was right all along. If nothing else, additional opinions will prepare you for the give-and-take that may take place while the merits of your grievance is being debated.

Sciatic already had several opinions before he posted. He posted to try to get to the bottom of the matter and clear up the confusion. That's a good thing.

Any grievance he may have to file will cite specific Contract language, not online names of other Browncafe posters.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jon

and in the example I gave, the internet is a good place to pick up a lot of bad information. I deal with it all the time, experts that hide behind a forum name, with a lot of posts to their credit, but no knowledge.

In my experience both at UPS as a steward, and in the pond building and fish health fields, I find that for some reason, internet advice is given more weight that any other type. Very often with disastrous results.

One such comes to mind. One poster with a PhD behind his name recommended adding kitty litter to the pond for water clarity. Yup, it helped clear the water, but as it swelled, it plugged up all the plumbing. Some people had to do tens of thousands of dollars worth of repairs to their pond, all because they listened to an INTERNET poster that didn't have a clue. But yet they posted with authority, and the people listened.

Getting involved and gaining knowledge is a good thing, getting misinformed and basing your future on that misinformation is never a good thing.

He has a shop steward. He has access to a contract book. He should also have access to a Business Agent. Those would be the first places to look for a good opinion.

Posting on a website where at best most work under different supplements, and at worst others would be management giving out bad advice helps how?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
One more thing. Well two.

First, what does the LF stand for in the title of the thread?

I had a sister-in-law die earlier this year of cancer.

They did a lot of internet searching, got a ton of advice. Spent too much time waffling between treatment options, but did nothing consistently but to try to "starve" the cancer. Which did nothing but drain her strength and lowered her resistance. They ended up trying a bunch of the advice, giving equal credence to unknown posters on the net and the doctors they saw throughout the country.

By the time they picked a treatment path, it was too late, and had spread all over her weakened body.

I find that dealing with people like that is like arguing with a fool. A total waste of time. Better to let them have their way and go their way. Maybe afterward there is a chance to fix it.

d

Braveheart

There are no off-season helpers down south. It would undermine the whole idea of adding full time jobs.

File a grievance ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tieguy

Banned
There are no off-season helpers down south. It would undermine the whole idea of adding full time jobs.

File a grievance ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like a fishing expedition. the jobs been there a while as whats probably a locally agreed to combo job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ive worked on the car as a helper at various times of the year. I have worked the preload as a loader/unloader/sorter. I have worked the car wash. All those times I was paid the wage I make as a driver. Regardless of what job I was doing, I made drivers wages. As per our contract, that is what I am to be paid.

Under many contracts, unless it is previously agreed to, you should receive your pay in the classification you do most of your work in. So if you have progressed to making $30 an hour, that is your rate of pay regardless of the job they now ask you to do.

But that is under our contract. Your mileage may vary.

d