LGBTQ

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Sometimes while in the middle of peeing in a public restroom, a brief sense of panic comes over me and I question if walked into the right restroom or not, as I came in quick and didn't really look at the doors. Then I realize, oh, I'm standing at urinal. I'm good.

Soon though, this indication might not work.

tourists24

what I got out of it was that trump asking why NC even messed with the laws and created this controversy. This issue probably has a reasonable explanation or solution but its become too political now.
You are correct Newfie.... the whole thing started when Charlotte changed their ordinance/law. The state responded. Charlotte expanded protection of groups not to be discriminated against (ie... trans/ gender identity). In and of itself NC would not have reacted. The problem is that they removed the exemption that is given to use of bathrooms, showers, and locker rooms that was already law. This changed the entire meaning of the legislation. Now no business, private or public, could designate single sex facilities anywhere. Not to mention their is no legal test defining what is transgender. The state responded with HB2.

tourists24

Seems to me if the issue was really about bathrooms, HB2 would have been worded quite differently.
the issue is absolutely about bathrooms. The whole thing started because Charlotte removed the exemption of protected classes from those specific places. It wasnt because transgender was added to the protected classes. Have you read HB2? It actually has a lot of leeway as to what private businesses can do. Less so for public places, but even then, reasonable accomodations are allowed

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
the issue is absolutely about bathrooms. The whole thing started because Charlotte removed the exemption of protected classes from those specific places. It wasnt because transgender was added to the protected classes. Have you read HB2? It actually has a lot of leeway as to what private businesses can do. Less so for public places, but even then, reasonable accomodations are allowed
Local governments aren't allowed to set their own minimum wage laws under HB2. They also can't pass local laws expanding employment or public accommodation or anti discrimination laws. Under this law, big government in the capital decides everything.

It's so funny to me. These anti big government republicans are so worried about the federal government. And here they are legislating from the capital, saying they know what's best for cities hundreds of miles away, taking away their power to govern themselves. It's political hypocrisy at its worst.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
th

tourists24

Local governments aren't allowed to set their own minimum wage laws under HB2. They also can't pass local laws expanding employment or public accommodation or anti discrimination laws. Under this law, big government in the capital decides everything.

It's so funny to me. These anti big government republicans are so worried about the federal government. And here they are legislating from the capital, saying they know how what's best for cities hundreds of miles away, taking away their power to govern themselves. It's political hypocrisy at its worst.
Im talking specifically about the bathroom bill part, which is what all this crap is over anyway. Had Charlotte not changed the exemption, we would not have this controversey now. Here is the Charlotte change.... not Section 3.... Sec 12-58 and 12-59. This is why HB2 came about

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/Documents/NDOrdinance.pdf

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Im talking specifically about the bathroom bill part, which is what all this crap is over anyway. Had Charlotte not changed the exemption, we would not have this controversey now. Here is the Charlotte change.... not Section 3.... Sec 12-58 and 12-59. This is why HB2 came about

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/Documents/NDOrdinance.pdf
Seems you're trying to deflect away from HB2 by talking about the reasons they told people they were passing it, and not about what they actually passed int this bill.

tourists24

Seems you're trying to deflect away from HB2 by talking about the reasons they told people they were passing it, and not about what they actually passed int this bill.
Actually I was never talking about HB2 itself... only why it came about in the first place. But if you wish... I have no problem discussing the LGBT parts of it since its what all the hubbub is about anyway. Anything else can be a side bar... what is your issue with the bathroom/shower part?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Actually I was never talking about HB2 itself... only why it came about in the first place. But if you wish... I have no problem discussing the LGBT parts of it since its what all the hubbub is about anyway. Anything else can be a side bar... what is your issue with the bathroom/shower part?
I don't have any issues in the bathroom.