Liberal / Conservative

texan

12718368_1487902444572537_4399011541610394680_n.png
Greeting wkmac. All is well with you?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The smug style in American liberalism - Vox

There is a smug style in American liberalism. It has been growing these past decades. It is a way of conducting politics, predicated on the belief that American life is not divided by moral difference or policy divergence — not really — but by the failure of half the country to know what's good for them.

In 2016, the smug style has found expression in media and in policy, in the attitudes of liberals both visible and private, providing a foundational set of assumptions above which a great number of liberals comport their understanding of the world.

It has led an American ideology hitherto responsible for a great share of the good accomplished over the past century of our political life to a posture of reaction and disrespect: a condescending, defensive sneer toward any person or movement outside of its consensus, dressed up as a monopoly on reason.

Browntown2014

There is a smug style in American liberalism. It has been growing these past decades. It is a way of conducting politics, predicated on the belief that American life is not divided by moral difference or policy divergence — not really — but by the failure of half the country to know what's good for them.

In 2016, the smug style has found expression in media and in policy, in the attitudes of liberals both visible and private, providing a foundational set of assumptions above which a great number of liberals comport their understanding of the world.

It has led an American ideology hitherto responsible for a great share of the good accomplished over the past century of our political life to a posture of reaction and disrespect: a condescending, defensive sneer toward any person or movement outside of its consensus, dressed up as a monopoly on reason.

No there isn't you just think that because you have low self esteem.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

I'd say both parties pretend to have a monopoly on reason. The polarization of politics is probably to blame. There's plenty of people in the middle, but both parties seem to only play into the extremes at election time.

Maybe it's just the primary blues, I'm sure we'll all meet again in the middle once the general election comes around.

Sportello

I'd say both parties pretend to have a monopoly on reason. The polarization of politics is probably to blame. There's plenty of people in the middle, but both parties seem to only play into the extremes at election time.

Maybe it's just the primary blues, I'm sure we'll all meet again in the middle once the general election comes around.
You must be living in a different country, because I see no middle ground reached in the last 20 years or so, just more divisiveness and further movement towards the extremes.