LIFE! After Brown

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

July 2nd is a great wedding date!!
I know this because it is my wedding date, July 2, 2003!!

It was also her maternal grandparent's wedding date; in fact, she called her Grandmother and asked her if she would mind sharing her wedding date.

Funny thing was when Megan told me the wedding date she then asked if I knew the significance of that date and I didn't have a clue. My ex was always the one to take care of those things.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Spoken like a true N.E Yankee. I should explain myself better . My daughter went into the service @ 18 worked hard got her college education that way and never cost my wife or me a dime for higher education. The least we could do for the joy she brought us was pay for a lot of her nice wedding. She and her husband at the time of the wedding were both tenured police officers and participated in some of the costs. My wife the" wedding planner " really was the one I could not say no to.

To Over:Thought about this since I posted it .1000 apologies I should have said; spoken like a common sense thrifty New Englander and never used the y word.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
To Over:Thought about this since I posted it .1000 apologies I should have said; spoken like a common sense thrifty New Englander and never used the y word.

LOL, that was quite the insult!

I was actually expecting a bunch of people to reply saying how naive I am, and how my wife and daughter would set me straight!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Isn't handing your young bride-to-be daughter a blank check akin to what is happening to our country right now? Zero responsibility? Don't worry about that deficit, spend anything you want! Just like Congress.

I'm sure my daughter would scoff at a $3000 dress that only gets worn once, she's a Conservative!
3000 for a dress you wear once for maybe 5 hrs. Duh.
3000 dollars............................., buy one at a local Goodwill for 100, get it cleaned and altered, if needed for 100, 2800 left for a nice honeymoon. Just dont tell Dad coz hes giving you another 5k for that, LOL. I shop thrift all the time.
I have seen and bought and sold elegant wedding dresses most never worn for between 50 and 100. I never got the whole wedding thing, all that hoopla for nothing. Tell her to go to Vegas, and have one heck of a party for her when they get home.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tooner,

I'm with you! Not being cheap either!! The $$ will still get spent, just not on a dress.
Also, many times the bride wants a ball- type gown for the ceremony and a less restrictive dress for the reception so she can dance.

I'm telling you, check out David's Bridal !!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Tooner,

I'm with you! Not being cheap either!! The $$ will still get spent, just not on a dress.
Also, many times the bride wants a ball- type gown for the ceremony and a less restrictive dress for the reception so she can dance.

I'm telling you, check out David's Bridal !!

All fathers of the brides should watch a couple episodes of "Say Yes To The Dress". It's a show about girls shopping for their wedding dresses. The assistants always ask the budget....most are under $3000 ... some are under $5,000. Lots of bucks for a dress that's worn for only a few hours. I think you should talk your girls into David's Bridal $99 dollar sales. They have beautiful gowns and the most up to date styles. All anyone remembers is that the dress was white and either long or short. Something to think about !! More money to go to the Honeymoon !

David's Bridal is a great place. But lets face it what say does the FOB have with the buying of the gown.

Absolutley .And not matter what they are Daddy's little girl and beautiful. But when it comes to getting and purchasing the gown our vote is a distant third.

I got married for the first and only time in 2003.
The first dress I looked at was at David's Bridal.
I went to other shops...I looked at some very expensive dresses.
I had a nice budget for this item.
We went back and purchased the first dress...
I still had a nice chunk of change left....

David's is a great suggestion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter and I have spoken at length about this. Her mother and I are giving them $5K each (the ex hinted that she is willing to go to $6K as am I). That is their budget and Megan and James understand that and know that they have to either work within that or the balance comes out of their pocket. They are also hoping to buy a house shortly thereafter so I have told her (after checking with the ex) that we will still give them the $10K ($12K?) and that perhaps they should cut back on some of the extras. They have everything that they need to set up their house as they have been living together for several years so they are hoping that the wedding guests will give them cash. My ex is spreading the word around on her side of the family and James' sister is doing the same on his side of the family that the kids want cash.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to have a WalMart wedding, but I can assure you that Vera Wang will not be getting an invite either.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
After you get the wedding gown you need to get Franck
[video=youtube;VKFtRedJxTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFtRedJxTw[/video]

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
My daughter and I have spoken at length about this. Her mother and I are giving them $5K each (the ex hinted that she is willing to go to $6K as am I). That is their budget and Megan and James understand that and know that they have to either work within that or the balance comes out of their pocket. They are also hoping to buy a house shortly thereafter so I have told her (after checking with the ex) that we will still give them the $10K ($12K?) and that perhaps they should cut back on some of the extras. They have everything that they need to set up their house as they have been living together for several years so they are hoping that the wedding guests will give them cash. My ex is spreading the word around on her side of the family and James' sister is doing the same on his side of the family that the kids want cash.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to have a WalMart wedding, but I can assure you that Vera Wang will not be getting an invite either.

You know as I have posted earlier my daughters wedding was last May. I have never done a complete accounting . I am not sure I want to.It was a wonderful affair that went buy to fast. The day was a blur and although my wife and I enjoyed ourselves being attentive to our guests took a lot of work. I had just as much fun at the barbecue we had at the beach the day after. My freinds and sons took care of me. They did all the cooking and serving and made sure we were never out of beverages. The FOB just kicked back and smiled with a beer in his hand.The wedding bill was paid and a good time was had by all. The next day I caught a 35" striper ( stripe bass) in the surf and my wife and I rode bikes on the boardwalk. It doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You know as I have posted earlier my daughters wedding was last May. I have never done a complete accounting . I am not sure I want to.It was a wonderful affair that went buy to fast. The day was a blur and although my wife and I enjoyed ourselves being attentive to our guests took a lot of work. I had just as much fun at the barbecue we had at the beach the day after. My freinds and sons took care of me. They did all the cooking and serving and made sure we were never out of beverages. The FOB just kicked back and smiled with a beer in his hand.The wedding bill was paid and a good time was had by all. The next day I caught a 35" striper ( stripe bass) in the surf and my wife and I rode bikes on the boardwalk. It doesn't get any better than that.
It's all in the attitude, stewie, and you, my friend, have a great attitude. I'm glad you had so much fun and have great memories of this event.