Life before brown

DS

Fenderbender
Theres a lot of ways to make a living,I'm curious what job everyone had before enlisting .
I spent 10 years working at a record(cd) distributor working for $12.50 an hour,and one day I got talkin to the ups guy and asked him how he was able to come back when we weren't ready one day, and he said, we get credit for what we do.I said HUH or EH? anyways I went in and asked for $15 an hour and they said no,So I applied at ups at 35 years old and I'm now an 18 year vet.Before I worked selling cd's I drove a 350 chevy van delivering coffee to macdonalds.
I single handedly ripped out the old brine tubing at the hockey rink in Banff Alberta when it was being redone.
This is still the weirdest job I ever had.
What did YOU do before you turned brown?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Theres a lot of ways to make a living,I'm curious what job everyone had before enlisting .
I spent 10 years working at a record(cd) distributor working for $12.50 an hour,and one day I got talkin to the ups guy and asked him how he was able to come back when we weren't ready one day, and he said, we get credit for what we do.I said HUH or EH? anyways I went in and asked for $15 an hour and they said no,So I applied at ups at 35 years old and I'm now an 18 year vet.Before I worked selling cd's I drove a 350 chevy van delivering coffee to macdonalds.
I single handedly ripped out the old brine tubing at the hockey rink in Banff Alberta when it was being redone.
This is still the weirdest job I ever had.
What did YOU do before you turned brown?

wow ds, how many years have you drove for. Starting at 35 can be rough, but not as bad as 45..lol. how many years do you think you will keep on going...or a better question is when would you be able to retire if you could?

helenofcalifornia

I had a job in Ketchum Idaho (read Sun Valley) making ski goggles. I got fired for singing Beach Boy songs. Swear to God. Still like the Beach Boys, won't wear their stupid goggles. Another job coding birth certificates for the State of California. Talk about boring. Then got a PT job w/UPS when the part timers were still earning the same hourly wage as the full timers. (How many people remember that?) So I didn't really have to work another job unless I wanted to. Nice.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have driven professionally in some capacity or another for almost 16 yrs. Long haul and local trucking, garbage trucks, courier, and 6 yrs for 2 different school districts. Tractor/trailers (trailers- flatbeds, drop decks, possum belly's, live bottoms, rib-beds, dry boxes 45' 48' 53', refers, resi garbage trucks, school busses, right down to my own personal vehicle as a courier. I have even delivered flowers. I guess driving is in my blood. I doubt that I will ever get out of it.

DS

Fenderbender
I had a job in Ketchum Idaho (read Sun Valley) making ski goggles. I got fired for singing Beach Boy songs. Swear to God. Still like the Beach Boys, won't wear their stupid goggles. Another job coding birth certificates for the State of California. Talk about boring. Then got a PT job w/UPS when the part timers were still earning the same hourly wage as the full timers. (How many people remember that?) So I didn't really have to work another job unless I wanted to. Nice.
? what beach boys song pissed them off?

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Last job I had was working for a bolt/nut supply.....I regret getting fired as it was a decent paying friend/t job but Ive put in almost 8 yrs at ups so im not giving that up for nothing :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
Last job I had was working for a bolt/nut supply.....I regret getting fired as it was a decent paying friend/t job but Ive put in almost 8 yrs at ups so im not giving that up for nothing :happy-very:

What did you get fired for------------------screwing around?:happy2:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I worked at a local Honda/Kawasaki motorcycle/ATV shop for 13 years. In those years I did delivery, mechanic and was the Service Manager.Worked three jobs while working preload. I also mowed yards after I got off from the MC dealership.

Pre-Load = 5:30 AM - 9:00-9:30 AM
Motorcyle Dealership = 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Mowed yards = 5:30 PM - Whenever it got dark!

Plus, I have a family to take care of and I was not gonna be able to do it @ $10.00 per hour for 4 hours a day!

Now only working at UPS, I now get to sleep :)

Fnix

Started at UPS fresh out of highschool 2 years ago. The only job I had before it was at a fast food place after schoo.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Started at UPS fresh out of highschool 2 years ago. The only job I had before it was at a fast food place after schoo.

UH OH.....LMAO!!..... what is schoo ???
:rofl:

(I know what it is but...after reading the entire post...I couln't help myself...LOL)

sealbasher

i started driving an 18 ton roller when i was 16,dad got me the job Miller Paving,then roofer,then hole digger,then roofer again,then started at ups 17 years ago,been drinking since then,now taw going on 2 months.

Lobofan5

1. Contract Security Account Representative.
2. Social worker
3. Homeless hotline operator (I swear)
4. Stay at home mom
5. Aquatic Director YMCA
6. Part time UPS for the last 3 years.

1-6 covers from 1991 to now.

rod

Retired 22 years
paperboy - 4th grade.
paperboy and work at mink ranch shoveling mink poo - 5th & 6th grade.
work with Dad at his typewriter shop (way before computers) - next 6 yrs.
work at machine shop in Rockford, Ill. -18 months.
drafted into Army Mar 68 - Feb 70.
college -smoke a little wacky weed-drinking excesively ---1 year---I had a little catching up on my youth to do. Fun while it lasted:wink2:
UPS Feb. 71 to June 2001.
Screw off - rest of life:peaceful: ----

IDoLessWorkThanMost

97-01 worked in a warehouse night shift, supervised for last 6 months. 13.50./hr

01-02 worked doing PC repair/housecalls, made 24/hr + driving expenses

Jan 02 started UPS P/T, and worked doing PC repair in '02.

03-06 landscaped (12/hr), started teaching drums for a few students (30/hr) and UPS

06' UPS friend/T, and 3 regular students right now.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
1) First job gas jockey at Chevron-this was the time when you pulled up and we checked everything and cleaned everything even if you put a couple of dollars gas. Gas was .35 cents a gal.

2) Warehouse forklift operator for a retail store.

3) Started UPS part-time 1981 progressed to full time and package driver since...

In between have been going to comm. college, too hard going to school and working full time...I was burnt out so I chose to work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Worked in a bowling center during high school, peeled the bark off trees for a logging operation in northern WI during a couple of summers, worked in a couple of print shops as a press operator and then manager, moved to Houston and worked in a couple of grocery distributors managing the in-house printshops for both, moved back to WI and started at UPS as a seasonal driver in May, 1988 gained senoirity in 1989.