Life before brown

finaddict

Seen those Chippendales calenders? Dec 89, Feb 90...The list goes on, yep that's me. Then I got into pole dancing at gay bars which led to drug use and eventually I was a worn out man-whore at truck stops. Then one day I saw this UPS Feeder driver pull in waving $20 at me. Well a little later while cuddling he told me of the benefits at UPS. I got onto the pre-load, then delivery and next I was in that big brown tractor trailer saving truck stop man-whores up and down the east coast. The rest is history....

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Seen those Chippendales calenders? Dec 89, Feb 90...The list goes on, yep that's me. Then I got into pole dancing at gay bars which led to drug use and eventually I was a worn out man-whore at truck stops. Then one day I saw this UPS Feeder driver pull in waving $20 at me. Well a little later while cuddling he told me of the benefits at UPS. I got onto the pre-load, then delivery and next I was in that big brown tractor trailer saving truck stop man-whores up and down the east coast. The rest is history....

:surprised::whiteflag:

JustTired

free at last.......
Did everything you can do in a grocery store through high school

Forklift operator in warehouse

3 years in the Army

factory worker

Plant manager of plastics plant (probably shouldn't have left that one)

laborer in different plastics plant

UPS

Now I do anything I want

barnyard

KTM rider
I went to college for production agriculture, graduated and milked cows for 5 years. Moved off the farm and sold cameras for 7 years, started a photo studio and was a stay at home dad. I enjoyed being a stay-at-home so much, that the studio started to slide and about the time I was really burned out, I applied for the preload at UPS.

While I was a preloader, I also did some catalog photography and photoshop work, sold boats and worked sportshows for a couple of years and was editor of a muskie fishing magazine.

Signed my friend/t bid after 5 years and now that is all I do. I started driving at 38.

TB

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
Delivered pizzas for Dominos Pizza for about 5 years. Then X-mas driver straight to full time. My Sup jokes that the Pizza business could act as a "farm system", and then UPS could call us up to the "Big Leagues".

browniehound

Delivered pizzas for Dominos Pizza for about 5 years. Then X-mas driver straight to full time. My Sup jokes that the Pizza business could act as a "farm system", and then UPS could call us up to the "Big Leagues".

Ok, I might laugh at that if my sup told it to my face, LOL.

I know he's just kidding around, but its a bad analogy.:happy2:

It would be more like going from tee-ball to starting pitcher at the all-star game.

As a pizza guy, your SPOHR goal is probably around 2 (30 minutes or less! :wink2:) as opposed to 20 on a residential route at UPS, LOL. I could go on, but we all know the facts.

I have to tell you though, the pizza guy is spared the one comment we get from customers at UPS on a daily basis that irritates that heck out of me and is shortening my life just thinking about it.

Anyone have a guess??

The pizza guy is never asked "What is it?" or "What did I get?". LOL.

Oh, man does that really get to me! It bothers me because I get asked it every day and I still don't know how to answer it!

What are they really asking? What are they expecting for an answer? Why don't THEY know what they are recieving?

There are two great mysteries in the world that I wonder about everyday. One, can quantum mechanics and general relativity be combined to form one unifying theory of physics. Secondly, what is in the simple minds of certain UPS customers who ask: "what is it?", "is it ticking?", or "is it a bomb?".

I'm sorry for the rant, but its this mind-set that proves the average American's "thinking process" or "mental depth" for lack of better words, are based on cliche' and to me this is very disturbing.

When was the last news report you read or heard stating "Man at office cubicle dies after signing for a UPS package that explodes"?

Where do people get this stuff? What they thinking when they ask such stupid questions?

How does everyone else here answer to the question "What is it?" When I'm in a normal mood I just read the return address and tell them where its from. If I'm in a ticked-off mood and I don't like the person's attitude I'll flat out asked them "Now, how an I supposed to know? Its YOUR package!"

browniehound

That's funny, I tell the FedEx Ground guys the same thing.

FedEx Ground (or Express for that matter) have no clue. It can't even be called the same job. They start at 7 am and are done by 3 or 4 in the afternoon everyday. Their shelves might be full, but thats it. Never is the FedEx ground truck stuffed with packages like most UPS trucks are.

Its pure jealousy on my part,

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is a "pizza dude" and some of the stories that he has told me would make a great study in human nature. He has driven 15 miles to deliver a "bulk stop" (multiple pizzas) and been handed a check for the exact amount. Every once in a while he will deliver to our center and they usually take care of him. In fact, one of the deliveries to our center was to our feeder supervisor who asked that the pizza be delivered to "the white Cherokee in the parking lot." My son called me and I laughed and told him to look for an older guy with a big cigar in his mouth and a yellow light on top of his jeep. He called me after and told me that he got a big tip on that delivery.

There was one particular delivery that he told me about that got me pretty upset. It seems the pizza was cold by the time it got to the house so the customer called in to complain to the manager. Well, the manager gave the customer my son's cell phone number and the customer called him and chewed him a new one. Let's just say that the manager and I had a little discussion the following day and this has not (nor ever will) happened since. Can you imagine how upset most of us would be if the OMS gave our personal cell phone numbers out to a customer, whether irate or not, without our consent?

retired2000

worked at a&p grocery store part-time for $1.55hr went to work for ups in 1970 for $5.00hr. 30 years later started sitting on my butt collecting my pension check every month.

browniehound

Great thread by the way DS!

I Once worked at Mcdonalds for $4.15 an hour when I was in 10th grade. There was much free food to be had. If I wasn't a young, growing boy, I would have gained 50 pounds that year. Instead, not an ounce of fat was added to my body. Its amazing what youth will do for your body.

If I ate like that today I would be grossly out of shape even if I jogged every day and worked for UPS!

DS

Fenderbender
brownie,this idea came up in the chat once about what we all used to do.
I could start another one called the worst job you ever had,but that could well fit in this theme as well

Anyways,mine was when I worked for a paving company.
My job was to dump 100 lb bags of asbestos onto a moving conveyer
into a huge mixer ,and it was windy and really hot.After a half hour lunch,
and I was not hungey after eating asbestos all morning,
they had me loading more of those 100 lb bags into a railcar ...I thought I
was gonna die.Funny thing was though,they must have thought I was a hard worker .the same company had a commercial garbage truck contract,and I was a garbageman for 3 weeks,which may have been the best job I ever had .

Rantmuse

Cog for the man
Before working at UPS I was a state employee, working for a Wildlife Enforcement Agency answering questions on hunting and fishing laws and taking phone violations. I nearly went bat:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: doing that for two years. After quitting that, UPS was my part-time gig to work me through college.

Eighteen years later I still marvel at how I NEVER, in my wildest dreams, envisioned myself doing this. Ever. Oddly, I dig it. And it suits me.

Go figure.

mittam

ran printing press
wrote for newspaper
did some college
apartment maintenance
officiated high school football basketball and baseball fast pitch softball
officiated and coached high school wrestling
ran shipping in 3 different tool and die shops
delivered newspapers on driving route
worked in electronics for aviation company
first ever jobs were cleaning stalls and working on farms
and of all of them this old farm seems like a long lost friend

overallowed

Worked at a mobile home plant. My ex-wife found this job for me because she worked as a legel secretary and they handled work comp settlements for drivers. She even got me an interview with the personnel director. Still have job, dumped wife for sleeping around (not with personnel guy). Will retire in 6 years. It's been a pretty good ride so far.