Life Can Change in a Heartbeat

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I hope he'll be ok.

We were discussing this sleeper team position just today. We all pretty much agreed we would never take that position due to the fact there are so few other drivers we'd have that kind of trust in.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
One of my best friends asked me to go on a sleeper team with him, but I had to say no. I'm not sure I could trust anyone like that. I would probably never fall asleep in that sleeper

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's terrible. I'll say a prayer for him, it's bad enough if you don't get enough sleep and put yourself at risk, but to injure someone else because of it is reckless, pure and simple

over9five

Staff member
Might sound stupid but does the sleeper sleep with any kind of restraint?

That's an excellent question that I asked too. It is like a cargo net with three seatbelts. There are two (at least) different kinds. Older kind goes directly over your body, making it very hard to move/turn whatever while sleeping. Newer kind goes from the edge of the bunk up to the top corner. Better idea, I'm told - not directly against you.
I do not know if it was being used here, but I talked with several former sleeper drivers who said they never used them. Too uncomfortable, can't sleep with them on, etc.
Bet they all will now. I hope....

over9five

Staff member
I hope he'll be ok.

We were discussing this sleeper team position just today. We all pretty much agreed we would never take that position due to the fact there are so few other drivers we'd have that kind of trust in.

One of my best friends asked me to go on a sleeper team with him, but I had to say no. I'm not sure I could trust anyone like that. I would probably never fall asleep in that sleeper

Me too.

over9five

Staff member
That's terrible. I'll say a prayer for him, it's bad enough if you don't get enough sleep and put yourself at risk, but to injure someone else because of it is reckless, pure and simple

I agree. It's nothing to pull over for 15 minutes for a quick nap.

ButTTTttttttTtttttTt........... who said anything about falling asleep at the wheel? He says a deer ran out and front of him, so he swerved to avoid it...........

Yeah, swerved doubles to avoid a deer...... I believe that.... Yeah, that makes sense...
The first thing they tell you in Feeders is NEVER swerve to avoid deer. Hit them dead on, it's your only safe option.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

ButTTTttttttTtttttTt........... who said anything about falling asleep at the wheel? He says a deer ran out and front of him, so he swerved to avoid it...........

Yeah, swerved doubles to avoid a deer...... I believe that.... Yeah, that makes sense...
The first thing they tell you in Feeders is NEVER swerve to avoid deer. Hit them dead on, it's your only safe option.

You see a rig leave the roadway, and the first thing that pops into your head is fell asleep and ran off the road. I wasn't trying to spread any bad info.

If I'm driving a rig, I'm not stopping for any animal, sorry. Bye Bye, Bambi

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Wonder when package will adopt this idea. Getting an at fault accident charge for hitting a dog in street is crazy. What if you swerve to avoid dog and something like this happens.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I never made an assumption that this driver fell asleep at the wheel. When I said I'd have a hard time trusting someone else with my life, I was also taking into consideration his driving abilities, how he or she would react in particular situations, etc. I never had a deer run in front of me, but the guy in front of me in a convoy hit one once. I guarantee, If a deer ran in front of me, we would be having backstrap on the barbie. lol.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I am very good friends with these two men,,I drove package car with the driver for years and we hung out a lot in the 90's,,,great guy who would give you the shirt off his back... I know the other guy as well, we worked together for a year or so, another stand up guy,,,I was sickened when I heard this, the driver has been over the road for a long time and has plenty of stick time, very good driver !!!! I know how bad off Mark is and I'm praying for him ! I am also praying for Bob who has an unbelievable amount of weight on his shoulders right now !!
I hope we use our positive energy and pray for these guys here ,,instead of bashing the driver and second guessing what should of been done!!
what's done is done, no negative post here, you don't know if it will get back their wives and hurt them, lets keep the topic civil !!

BrownRoosterBrownBull

I bleed brown
Wonder when package will adopt this idea. Getting an at fault accident charge for hitting a dog in street is crazy. What if you swerve to avoid dog and something like this happens.

Maybe different for the highway. If anything darts in front of the truck on the street, impact should be avoided. Wouldn't want drivers becoming complacent, could be a kid, yikes! Just my thoughts...

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I don't take these things lightly. Several years ago, one of our drivers, who was also a neighbor of mine and we fished together, left on his run and didn't come back. He left the road and rolled over, and was trapped in his tractor. He passed before they could cut him out. It was very sobering to go out to the employee parking for a week and a half later and see his pickup still sitting there. It will probably never be known what happened to him. Doesn't matter. My prayers are with these 2 drivers.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Sleeper team out of Chelmsford was involved in a single vehicle accident while onroad in Mississippi. The driver only had minor injuries, but the man sleeping in the back (friend of mine) was in critical condition.
Horrible thing to happen, this is a life changing event. Please be careful out there.

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingne...vers-from-chelmsford-ups-office-injured-crash
At a previous employer, we had a longtime sleeper team member thrown out of the back unrestrained when the rookie at the wheel failed to make a bend with a load of fruit. Next thing he knew, he was being pushed along the ground by his own truck on it's side. Talk about a rude awakening!