lifts in shop

rod

Retired 22 years
You've got to be kidding!----our mechanic was on cloud nine when they actually put up a canvas curtain to block off his stall from the rest of the building so he could retain a "small' amount of heat on a 20 below zero night while the night shift had all the doors of the building open to shuffle cars around. :peaceful:

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
They have 4 bay doors and 4+ bays for the mechanics to work in my facility.I don't remember seeing any inground lifts,just a wheel around air/hydraulic lift that goes under the vehicle.

drewed

Shankman
from the post it sounds like hes looking for like a scissor lift for a person

in that case yes.

in the case of an in floor lift no, we do have the lifts that vehicle drives into to get lifted

J

JonFrum

You've got to be kidding!----our mechanic was on cloud nine when they actually put up a canvas curtain to block off his stall from the rest of the building so he could retain a "small' amount of heat on a 20 below zero night while the night shift had all the doors of the building open to shuffle cars around. :peaceful:

Believe it or not folks, the Contract actually says:
ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS
Section 6.1
. . . Shop areas shall be designated as separate walled-in areas.
I filed a grievance years ago to enforce this language, but nothing came of it.

Our shop once had the kind of lifts that raise the entire vehicle up six feet so they can work under it standing up. But these were removed. Now our mechanics put the vehicles up on jack stands with a powered jack, and slide under the cars on their "creepers." In the winter it's cold down there at ground level.

over9five

Staff member
No lifts in Chema.

Jon, that seems pretty cut and dried. What was the reason given for disallowing the grievance?

rod

Retired 22 years

Our shop once had the kind of lifts that raise the entire vehicle up six feet so they can work under it standing up. But these were removed. Now our mechanics put the vehicles up on jack stands with a powered jack, and slide under the cars on their "creepers." In the winter it's cold down there at ground level.

Apparently a thin canvas curtain that don't even go all the way to the ceiling counts as a "wall" . He has a real wall on one side- a canvas curtain on the otherside- a garage door on one end and nothing on the end facing the sort belt. Really nice in the winter.

Big Babooba

No lifts in Chema.

Jon, that seems pretty cut and dried. What was the reason given for disallowing the grievance?

Apparently a thin canvas curtain that don't even go all the way to the ceiling counts as a "wall" . He has a real wall on one side- a canvas curtain on the otherside- a garage door on one end and nothing on the end facing the sort belt. Really nice in the winter.

Oh yes, one for the good old gray area. What is the definition of a wall? We had a building that UPS leased. The only vehicle access to the shop was from inside the building. At first there was no wall separating the shop from the rest of the area. UPS wanted to put up a curtain. The Fire Martial demanded a fire proof wall and a metal overhead door to to be installed. I guess he settled that one.

J

JonFrum

No lifts in Chema.

The response I got from the steward was the same one I've gotten with several other situations: "They're not gonna do it."

Currently, I'm trying to get heat in the building during our Local Sort shift. I know it's Summer, but I'm starting early so we just might get the heater fixed by the start of Winter. We've been without heat on my shift for two years. One heater is broken, the other is deliberately turned off so the people in the area can hear their scanners' beep. I've been complaining for two years.