likliehood of UPS approving 8 days

jAyVehgas

I was hired as a temp Sept 2014 and hired on in Feb 2015. I've had to take 3 weeks off since March and I have requested an additional 8 days to take at the beginning of August for my husbands pre deployment leave. I have a feeling that I will have to quit before I can take anymore time off. I've contacted the FMLA hotline who informed me that I cannot use FMLA until I have been with UPS for 36 months seeing as I'm part time. I was under the impression that it went by hours worked also? They gave me another HR Reps number to contact and I have yet to hear back from him. How likely is it that I'll get to take those 8 days as requested?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
do you have to fly somewhere? 20 years from now are you going to regret not taking time off to be with family ? ( family first in this household ) or are you just going to say screw it , im taking time off to be with my warrior husband and you people can go to hades for I care.

over the last 25 years I have taken a lot of time off for family reasons. sometimes I had to sick days and vacations and sometimes I didn't. were they happy about it? no, but some things are more important than stupid packages.

Whargoul

You're barely half a year in and you've already taken 3 weeks off and want more? And you're just a part timer? Yeah, you better just quit now this isn't the job for you.

browner89

We had someones wife give birth and he wanted more than 7 days off and was denied, stayed out, was told not to clock in when he returned and haven't seen him since.

As far as how likely is it, file it under not going to happen. As someone else said, you're not even at 6 months seniority yet and this will be the 4th week you've requested off. You must have the kindest management and an overstaffed center to even still have your job after already missing 3 weeks. 10 days off in a year is a big no-no to UPS and you're double that in half the time.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You're barely half a year in and you've already taken 3 weeks off and want more? And you're just a part timer? Yeah, you better just quit now this isn't the job for you.

you don't know the whole story , do you? hopefully you never have a death in your family or have to care for family with cancer, or your son or daughter goes missing.

jesus, some of you people are unbelievable.

quick to judge usually doesn't work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We had someones wife give birth and he wanted more than 7 days off and was denied, stayed out, was told not to clock in when he returned and haven't seen him since.
I call BS on this. Unless the guy was still in his training period. Fmla allows you to take this time off no matter what ups thinks.

SCV good to go sir.

you don't know the whole story , do you? hopefully you never have a death in your family or have to care for family with cancer, or your son or daughter goes missing.

What's to know? If she gets these 8 days off, then from the time she became an actual employee she will have been off over 17% of the time she was scheduled to work. Unacceptable, if it were up to me she'd be back on monster.com or whatever looking for another temp job. The aforementioned statistic does not count her time as a temp as I'm sure she had noooo trouble at all going to work then since she had maintain the facade of being a model employee. I'd also bet money that this won't be her last request for time off for this year. Anyone with common sense can recognize the trend forming here and hypothesize just what kind of employee this lady is going to be.

8 days off for her husband leaving? Really? What, she needs 6 days to do her hair and nails, 1 for the actual parting, and the day after to figure out how to make adjustments to changing conditions (as opposed to doing this in advance)? Damn OP, how many hours does it take for you to screw in a light bulb? Good lord, I don't even want to know how long it takes you to unload/load a package car. What's sad is that there are a lot of people out there who are willing to work and this lady that doesn't want to work is the one with the job. Pathetic.

browner89

I call BS on this. Unless the guy was still in his training period. Fmla allows you to take this time off no matter what ups thinks.

It may allow someone to take the time off but if UPS says no and they don't fight it then they will lose. UPS will say no to everything and fire you for anything, legally they may be incorrect, but if you don't challenge them, you can't win.

It still doesn't make it BS, it DID happen, he was NOT temp.

jAyVehgas

lets clarify. 1 week off for a death in the family and 2 weeks forced off because of a back injury. My husband is a grunt in the Marine Corps. Not sure if any of you have ever served or if you keep up to date with the news, but the likelihood of him coming home on time and His deployment NOT getting extended is slim. They were told there is a 90% chance that they will be sent into a red zone. Oh and as far as FMLA Ups doesn't afford any pters the opportunity unless they've worked there for 36 months. I've called the hotline.

Thank you for the "kind" words, but I've already made my decision. Family comes first and if they don't allow it I'll walk out. Sick and tired of busting my ass for this company only to see myself get :censored2: on. Should've listened to one of the drivers when I started. He said "you're a hard worker, especially for a woman, too bad this company won't recognize that."

Oh and for those of you who sit in here and bash other people for asking honest questions....eat a dick and get something better to do with your spare time. You remind me of my manager. He's not happy unless everyone else is miserable.

Indecisi0n

It may allow someone to take the time off but if UPS says no and they don't fight it then they will lose. UPS will say no to everything and fire you for anything, legally they may be incorrect, but if you don't challenge them, you can't win.

It still doesn't make it BS, it DID happen, he was NOT temp.
UPS cannot say no to FMLA but you do need to qualify by working a certain amount of hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She is a part-timer who wants to take time off to be with her husband before he goes overseas.

Did I miss anything?

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
never have been afforded a whole week off due to death in family. 2 brothers, 1 sister, all grandparents, all over the country but no week off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

never have been afforded a whole week off due to death in family. 2 brothers, 1 sister, all grandparents, all over the country but no week off

The contract states up to 4 days off depending upon relationship and distance traveled. Most center manager's will give you the whole week if you have to travel.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
our suppliment says 1 for local, 3 days with travel but tacked on with weekend 5 days 3 payed

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

our suppliment says 1 for local, 3 days with travel but tacked on with weekend 5 days 3 payed

My father passed away shortly before Peak. We were not very close and the services were to be held at the convenience of the family. We had him cremated and waited until after Christmas so that I could attend. My center manager appreciated my commitment and gave me the last week of December off fully paid.