Linksys Router

over9five

Staff member
Anyone have one? I've had mine for a long time, and now that I'm moving to a........ yuck......neighborhood... I want it to require a password so nobody can steal my internet.

I seem to be able to set a password to use administrator functions of the router, but I can't figure out how to set up a password to use the router.

Help.....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have the same router, but I can't remember how I set it up. I'm bad about throwing out directions and remembering passwords. Its got to where I write down the passwords and install dates on my devices and then I tape those on the bottom or back of the same. You might be able to go to the manufacturer's website and get that info.

over9five

Staff member
I have the same router, but I can't remember how I set it up. I'm bad about throwing out directions and remembering passwords. Its got to where I write down the passwords and install dates on my devices and then I tape those on the bottom or back of the same. You might be able to go to the manufacturer's website and get that info.

I have the disc with the whole damn manual on it. I'm still too stupid to figure out how to do it!

You have yours set up so anyone with a laptop would have to have a password to use your router, correct?
That's what I want to do. Someone will explain it to poor dumb Ovah.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over, what you are describing is a secured network. It is very easy to set up but it may actually be easier to simply delete your current network and reinstall it, this time with a security password. I use my cell phone number including area code for my password.

You can find more helpful hints at their website:

www.linksys.com/support

iowa boy

You can also turn on MAC address filter or control within the router. What this will do is only allow the pc's with the mac addresses listed within the router to access your wireless network.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can also turn on MAC address filter or control within the router. What this will do is only allow the pc's with the mac addresses listed within the router to access your wireless network.
That's the best way to do it, lock it down hard.

over9five

Staff member
Over, what you are describing is a secured network. It is very easy to set up but it may actually be easier to simply delete your current network and reinstall it, this time with a security password. I use my cell phone number including area code for my password.

You can find more helpful hints at their website:

www.linksys.com/support

Thanks, that helped. Seems to be secured. I had thought it would be simpler than that, like just typing a password into a box. WPA, WPA2, WEP, I have no idea the difference, I just picked WPA.

over9five

Staff member

I see that option. How does one know the MAC address to add to the router?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see that option. How does one know the MAC address to add to the router?
Once you set up your network, leave MAC address control off and connect all your wireless devices (laptops, kindle, etc). There should be an option to "view all connected devices" in the router admin menu which will list all your wireless devices along with their MAC's. There should also be an option to add those devices to your MAC address control list. Once you've done that, turn MAC address control on and you're all set. The other way to do it is to find the MAC on each device (it should be on a little sticker, generally on the back) and type it into the control list manually.

My router is a Netgear, so my menus, etc. are different but hopefully you will have the same/similar options.

over9five

Staff member
Ahh, that also worked. My son is here, so it showed my laptop, his laptop, and his IPod. I'll turn on the kindles later and add them.

Thanks!

P

pickup

Thanks, that helped. Seems to be secured. I had thought it would be simpler than that, like just typing a password into a box. WPA, WPA2, WEP, I have no idea the difference, I just picked WPA.

Picked wisely you have, young Padawan. Strong is the force in your family.

P

pickup

WPA2 is the most secure, but you should be fine with WPA.

Yeah you're right, I was just relieved he didn't go with WEP. Are there not ways to check , when you want, to see if any unauthorized users have used your wifi at anytime?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah you're right, I was just relieved he didn't go with WEP. Are there not ways to check , when you want, to see if any unauthorized users have used your wifi at anytime?
Most routers don't keep a log of attached wireless devices. If you want to be able to see who/what/when connected to your router over a certain time period (like the last 30 days), you'll probably have to install some additional software to do that. I think Wireshark (it's free!) will do it.

P

pickup

Most routers don't keep a log of attached wireless devices. If you want to be able to see who/what/when connected to your router over a certain time period (like the last 30 days), you'll probably have to install some additional software to do that. I think Wireshark (it's free!) will do it.

Good to know. Thanks, Jonesy.