Listen up rookie package car drivers!!!!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
If you are taking 30 seconds to get a signature from someone already standing there than I can see why you don't get them. It is well known that signatures will boost your allowance and at times with a lot of them it can and will lower your stop count. I see it daily by some who will in fact abuse this.

I'm honest with the customer when they ask if I would have left it (where applicable on my route; only a very small area is DR) if they weren't home. I always answer "yes, but if you sign it looks like I'm working harder and I get free money for staying out longer."

Customer gets their package and a laugh, I get richer, and management gets a favorable number on their made up metric reports. Everybody wins!

sportsjock

I was told you get more allowance obtaining signatures. In my center I noticed when I was releasing everything I was blown out every day. When I started getting signatures the stop count went down. I do both DR when I can and its safe and I get signatures. But at the end of the day I don't trip on the over allowance. I'm always over because I help every day.

giggity

Getting a signature while the consignee is standing there for a residential stop that has not been designated as a non-release stop in the DIAD is stealing time.

Sheeting the air and ground for the same stop delivered at the same time as two separate stops is padding stops.

it's actually not padding. if your diad says 1+ it is considered 2 sep stops. and in orion early air, mid afternoon air and ground are all listed as sep stops as well and sometimes you're told to run that way .... no one is going to run them sep, but it's not padding.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it's actually not padding. if your diad says 1+ it is considered 2 sep stops. and in orion early air, mid afternoon air and ground are all listed as sep stops as well and sometimes you're told to run that way .... no one is going to run them sep, but it's not padding.

My first stop is normally Walmart. Are you suggesting that it is OK for me to sheet/prerecord the air and sheet/prerecord the ground and count the one stop as two? That would be textbook stop padding.

BTW, if you do this, be careful that you are not close to the commit time as doing so may cause you to have late air.

Pkgcar1988

My first stop is normally Walmart. Are you suggesting that it is OK for me to sheet/prerecord the air and sheet/prerecord the ground and count the one stop as two? That would be textbook stop padding.

BTW, if you do this, be careful that you are not close to the commit time as doing so may cause you to have late air.
Once again Upstate, you must not be on Orion yet because it will have you deliver next day first, come back and deliver nd savers 10 stops later and then have you go back and deliver ground. All separate stops.

Pkgcar1988

So you would go to walmart 3 times? Dishonesty
It is the new way, trust me Orion will want you to deliver all three separately, now you can either follow Orion and do it that way or you can deliver all three at the same time. There is nothing they can do because you are following the magnificent Orion..

Pkgcar1988

I asked they said do either way, you won't get docked % points for delivering air and ground together but you don't have to do it that way either. Everything is separate in Orion, Nda, Nda savers, and ground. Sometimes they will be one stop after the other, in which case you deliver all together, but most of the time they are split up by 10-15 stops in between them.

They probably wouldn't open the door 3 times everyday. Eventually a corp complaint that every walmart got 3 deliveries everyday.
Plus possibly 3 deliveries to vision and pharmacy. Plus smart style, (McDonald's, subway) which ever restaurant they might have.

Pkgcar1988

It's not about the customer anymore, it's about cutting miles,lol. As the person who trained me on Orion said " if they want all of their stuff early then have it all sent Nda"

Pkgcar1988

It will all be on your daily manifest as separate stops, which actually means less stops. Before Orion I would go out with 160-170 stops now 135-145 is a 9.5 day.

T

TheBrownGuy

All ORION is programmed to do is cut down miles, not time. And it really does a terrible job at even this relatively simple task. I have to believe that whoever wrote the programs had no personal knowledge of the criteria we as drivers use hundreds of times a day to do our routes efficiently.

If the ORION program projects that you can save 1/10 of a mile by squeezing one more resi stop from section 8 into your NDA run (by delivering your ground later for a business that also has NDA) it will do so. It is similar to delivering NDA and ground separately in order to make the 10:30 cut off. In that case the 10:30 commitment takes priority over maximizing efficiency. The ORION algorithms prioritize minimizing projected miles over efficiency.

Until the ORION programs can be rewritten to properly prioritize objectives using experienced drivers input AND program in the ability to recalculate and update throughout the day the most efficient stop order based on what you have off, what you have left, current time of the day, your current GPS location, traffic patterns, time commitments ect. ect. ect., it will continue to add miles and time to many routes.

giggity

I'm not saying that you do anything different than what you are doing. all I'm saying is that 1+? stops in your diad are actually counted as two separate stops. prior to orion our center was actually told to sheet the air separate from the ground even if both deliveries were made at the same time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not saying that you do anything different than what you are doing. all I'm saying is that 1+? stops in your diad are actually counted as two separate stops. prior to orion our center was actually told to sheet the air separate from the ground even if both deliveries were made at the same time.

Your mgt team was basically telling you to pad your stop counts.

OPTION3

Take your warning letter on that one…get it in writing then do it EXACTLY how they want it done…something tells me they will never issue you a warning letter(for not sheeting separately)