Little Black Book

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Thats so nice. But when you deliver areas that dont even have phone service, much less cell service...........Pen and paper have never failed to be comunicated.

Of course when you get back, you can enter the data where ever you like. But that dirty peice of paper does make an impression that a freshly printed page wont.

d

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I've been keeping detailed records since 1978. I use a palm pilot now. It has saved me a lot of trouble over the years. If I speak to a supervisor about a problem I document it. Later when it isn't resolved and I'm in the office I pull out my pda and say I spoke to Joe on Nov 3rd and 7th. Changes the tone immediately.

Last January when I cleaned out my locker I found some of my yearly books from the 70's & 80's. Boy did the stops & miles change between then & 2006 before PAS. We didn't get a preload till 1984 so that was some of the change. The Center lost 4 trips in 1988 when the zip codes were cleaned up too.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Although I like the Palm Pilot idea, judging by the condition of my cell phone with all the dings and scratches, pen and paper will do just fine for me. I fact I just peeled the price tag off the 2009 edition today.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The title of this thread threw me off at first. The only Little Black Book I ever carried was back when I was single, it just had names and phone numbers in it.

Pen and paper can't take photographs and aren't easily searchable. I use Evernote (great program and website) for everything. This is the 21st century and we need to use the tools available.

There's a fine line between jotting something down for future reference and paranoia. I think that you've crossed over the paranoia line.

trickpony1

There's a fine line between jotting something down for future reference and paranoia. I think that you've crossed over the paranoia line.

A little paranoia has high survival value.
Police officers tend to score high on the paranoia scale of the MMPI but look at the criminals they have to work with.

.....and then look at the criminals we have to work for.

A little paranoia has high survival value.
Police officers tend to score high on the paranoia scale of the MMPI but look at the criminals they have to work with.

.....and then look at the criminals we have to work for.

Don't forget the criminals they supervise and you have to work next to.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I keep at little note pad and record trailer numbers, where I am taking them, what time I left, turn around, meal, central sort, etc. If my IVIS goes down or if I am ever questioned about what I am doing I figure it is best to keep a personal record.

backinbrown

respect my authority
This is funny to me because these people are probably not the same people who might just talk to a dock worker just a little longer than they should. Maybe drive around the block once or twice. Finally stand in the truck organizing bulk stops. I know theft from ups happens from supervisors. I know of a manager that was busted but come on, keeping a log every day. What do you tell them, monday I had such and such stops and ran 40 late and on wednesday I had five more stops and ran a 100 late. Do you think that they care???? Until over-allowed becomes an issue, I would never worry about that. My only worry would be to be safe and follow the methods..

I keep my "black book" because if something happens that im somewere longer than i shoul be such as road closed, construction, run off misload, anything that adds time to my day i note it so if sup says why was stop count down i can go to my black book and tell them it just makes it easier than trying to remeber evrything that happens in our day.

SpeedBoat

Retired Feeder Driver
At Burtonsville we had a driver that shifted for 8 or 9 hours. He wrote down every move,every trailer number, and what bay it was on , what bay he moved it to and the time. Also he made note if there was any damage to the trailer. I guess thats one way of staying busy.:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
From the day that you are hired, UPS begins documenting a case for your eventual termination. It only makes sense for you to document your own defense against that termination.

It may seem unecessary and paranoid, but the reality of being a UPS emplyee is this; you are only as good as your previous days production, and the moment that you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper you become a liability rather than an asset and you WILL be treated accordingly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the day that you are hired, UPS begins documenting a case for your eventual termination. It only makes sense for you to document your own defense against that termination.

It may seem unnecessary and paranoid ...

You are only paranoid if you are wrong.

rod

Retired 22 years
You are only paranoid if you are wrong.

But you don't have to be wrong to get fired at UPS---I saw it happen dozens of times over the the most trivial things. If everyone that got fired did something "wrong" how come 99% of them got their job back.