Little (or Big) Thank You's...

bad company

semi-pro
My loader is the best, and is definately a major part of me running scratch or under more often than not. I try to bring him breakfast occasionally, cold gatorade in the mornings, and of course took care of him at xmas. I also occasionally write comments with POSITIVE notes. Driver are quick to complain, but rarely compliment a good job. The supervisors do read those comments, and I have had quite a few come up to me and tell me how much they appreciated the fact that I took a minute out of my day to write something positive to let the loader and his supervisor know how much I appreciated his hard effort.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Good post, Bad Company, I wish my Preloader was as good as yours! I used to have a great one before we went on PAS/EDD. She could load stop for stop without using a Load Chart. I tipped her well at Christmas, she was able to take her husband out to dinner at a steak house.

I have a different one now. She used to have a sorry attitude and screwed up a lot. But like you said, making a POSITIVE COMMENT at the end of the day in the DIAD when they do well makes a world of difference. Now she will smile at me and try to go through the shelves and check to see how well her load is. People need to be complimented when they do well, everyone wants to be appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a feeling that the comments that I left in the DIAD for my loader were not being passed on to him so I left the following comment on night:

Josh--I will give you $20 if the first word you to say to me this morning is ... (I forget the actual word).

Well, the $20 stayed right in my wallet as he had no idea what I was talking about. So, I pass along any comments in person from now on.

What'dyabringmetoday???

They should let the 20 year drivers go back to preload and the loaders go on the road. Pay the drivers their 8 because the loads will be excellent and the loaders will have no problem on the road. Kind of joking, but it does help if a loader has been on the road before instead of listening to a part-time supervisor who has never even loaded, let alone see how it really goes out on the road.

bellesotico

BOXstar
They should let the 20 year drivers go back to preload and the loaders go on the road. Pay the drivers their 8 because the loads will be excellent and the loaders will have no problem on the road. Kind of joking, but it does help if a loader has been on the road before instead of listening to a part-time supervisor who has never even loaded, let alone see how it really goes out on the road.

I don't know about full time driving..lol..Saturdays are enough for me :) But when I was a helper on one of my drivers routes all of peak it sure made a huge difference. Now I can load him without much thought to it. I know where everything is going and when it's gonna come off.
I really recommend helping during peak preferably on one of the routes you load. It can give you a better perspective on your drivers' day, and really help you understand just why it's important to get those loads lookin pretty :)

Rantmuse

Cog for the man
I've been a cover driver during every peak I've worked as a friend/t driver. I always tip my preloader and anyone else who makes my job easier, for that matter. It is always a very short list, so I figure I get out on the cheap.

DS

Fenderbender
Great idea,I said this 15 years ago.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Great idea,I said this 15 years ago.

Of all the routes I know, the College campus route is the one I know best. All due to letting the driver ride with me when he was on T.A.W. I ran it one time before that and it was a freaking NIGHTMARE!!! (One address, 50 places to go :knockedout:).