Living wage for part timers

subdivide

Riddle me this. Is there any logical reason a manager, especially a center manager, wouldn't want a part timer to make a living wage?

oldngray

nowhere special
Part time work is not supposed to pay enough to really live on, its just historically UPS paid its part timers enough they could. Those days are long past now though. And a center manager has nothing to do with wages.

RealPerson

Part time work is not supposed to pay enough to really live on, its just historically UPS paid its part timers enough they could. Those days are long past now though. And a center manager has nothing to do with wages.

Why are they long and gone? UPS is making more than EVER....................................

RealPerson

Well Forget the Hours........... Living wage is what $15 an hour .... that is what Fast Food wants....... Half the work double the pay........

cynic

Riddle me this. Is there any logical reason a manager, especially a center manager, wouldn't want a part timer to make a living wage?

(IMHO) Absolutley!! They're managers, not social workers, and their compensation is likely based upon a salary plus some type of variable compensation plan (VCP) based on metrics like volume, mis-sorts, labor hours, etc that determines how much their VCP is - typically paid out on a quarterly or annual basis. Managers performance review "score" from their managment is going to be based on how their "metrics" measure up to whatever (unrealistic) targets they've been given.

No where in the above (hypothetical) scenario does the hourly worker even come into the picture - other than management's goal (every company) to reduce labor costs, increase quality (no mis-sorts, etc), and the center manager wants to maximize their bonuses. Add in stock options that management at a certain level at every company are given based on meeting annual performance goals - and where does how much an hourly worker even enter a manager's mind. Employee compensation, happiness, well-being don't factor into their getting bonuses and stock options. UPS is profitable very likely those bonuses and stock options are making their wallet thick.

File grievances, line your own wallet - not your center manager's. Picture the money from the grievances you DON'T file or haven't filed going straight into the wallet of your center manager. Paint a target on the center manager's wallet - don't whine and say you're painting a target on your back.

Why are they long and gone? UPS is making more than EVER....................................
Because you need to have another job to go along with your part time job. You are not entitled to work just part time and bitch that you don't have enough money. Think about trying to pass that one off on your grandparents. They probably would have slapped you to try and wake you up.

RealPerson

Because you need to have another job to go along with your part time job. You are not entitled to work just part time and bitch that you don't have enough money. Think about trying to pass that one off on your grandparents. They probably would have slapped you to try and wake you up.

You missed the point...
If UPS paid its employees so good before, and someone to say those days are long gone, BUT WHY?
Ups who made less Profit in the good ole days, is making Record Profit Today can't pay more?

Oh yeah, they are making Record Profit on the LOW Wages and Backs of the new hires....

RealPerson

You should go out and get two of those jobs and you can live like a king then. The entitlement of young people these days.

Right, I didn't say I agree with the fast food people or walmart people, infact I am against them getting paid that much.

It is a kick in the face to me, from these people doing almost no physical labor to want so much when UPS will break you down for $8.50-$10

Right, I didn't say I agree with the fast food people or walmart people, infact I am against them getting paid that much.

It is a kick in the face to me, from these people doing almost no physical labor to want so much when UPS will break you down for $8.50-$10
but those places dont give benefits like UPS does! thats why many of those Walmart and fast food people get a second job at UPS!

klein

Für Meno :)

You have no clue !
Go to the back of any Walmart. Go watch them unload trailers almost constantly, night & day !
On rollers - no belt !
Heavy boxes, filled with clothing or even heavy food items, such as canned goods, jars, cheese & meats.
Go do it and have fun !
Everytime, I have been back there, everyone is sweating, including managers at times.
Mc D's : You are constantly busy - you can't leave your station for a quick pee. You can't leave your station period until someone replaces you.
Don't complain too much, you may be working at 1 of the above in your future.

You have no clue !
Go to the back of any Walmart. Go watch them unload trailers almost constantly, night & day !
On rollers - no belt !
Heavy boxes, filled with clothing or even heavy food items, such as canned goods, jars, cheese & meats.
Go do it and have fun !
Everytime, I have been back there, everyone is sweating, including managers at times.
Mc D's : You are constantly busy - you can't leave your station for a quick pee. You can't leave your station period until someone replaces you.
Don't complain too much, you may be working at 1 of the above in your future.

Impress him with your resume.

RealPerson

I guess our stores are different than yours, I know people working at BOTH places, and even hang out and Talk with them while they Work. It is NOTHING compared to UPS. I worked at an Aldi store, now that might come close, if you were a stoker.

They have Decent Benefits compared to the work done.
My X has been there 3 years is making $12 an hour, Gets 10% discount, works 32 hours, so not 40+, gets Benefits, and Enjoys Profit sharing, which she has had low checks of $300, but some as big as $2500.... (her store is twice a year profit sharing) Oh, she works at Walmart... Hell the 10% alone would save me hundreds.. My 10% at Kroger saves me tons....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You missed the point...
If UPS paid its employees so good before, and someone to say those days are long gone, BUT WHY?
Ups who made less Profit in the good ole days, is making Record Profit Today can't pay more?

Oh yeah, they are making Record Profit on the LOW Wages and Backs of the new hires....

UPS Does NOT Give, I earn Those Benefits/////////////

UPS paid it's employees well because once upon a time, long, long ago, it was 'management owned' and then 'employee owned.' Nowadays, UPS is publicly owned, which means that the stockholders need to be satisfied.

Buy a crapload of voting shares and see if you can change the culture.

​By the way, generations of Union workers earned those benefits for you.

UPS paid it's employees well because once upon a time, long, long ago, it was 'management owned' and then 'employee owned.' Nowadays, UPS is publicly owned, which means that the stockholders need to be satisfied.

Buy a crapload of voting shares and see if you can change the culture.

​By the way, generations of Union workers earned those benefits for you.
This post is spot on. The op can learn from this.

RealPerson

Wrong about the benefits also... Do some USA history on how and why companies started giving benefits...

So my current BA, President, and IBT would be riding the same coat tails of Union Workers...

Also if you believe this, then why are you and others AND the IBT letting them go away?

I chose to work for UPS with those as part of my pay, no :censored2: way would I start working there today, with the current low wages and suggested cut in HC benefits