Loader and Driver helper?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It has nothing to do with the number of employees and everything to do with how they treat their employees. No one should be working 18 hour days-----that is just insane. Our inside workers who double as helpers are capped at 12 hours. Yes, this can make it difficult on the driver, who has to figure out how to use them in the most efficient manner, but anything beyond 12 hours would quickly lead to burn out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It has nothing to do with the number of employees and everything to do with how they treat their employees. No one should be working 18 hour days-----that is just insane. Our inside workers who double as helpers are capped at 12 hours. Yes, this can make it difficult on the driver, who has to figure out how to use them in the most efficient manner, but anything beyond 12 hours would quickly lead to burn out.
I wasn't forced to work 16-18hr days....I volunteered. It was either drive out 30-40 miles to meet the driver at noon (off the clock with my gas) and they'd work me 5 hours and send me home. Or leave the building after preload on the PC and have to work the whole shift. For $30+/hr OT....yes please!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
3240806.jpg

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He didn't work in a hub right? I don't think I'll be out that long with a driver.
No, he didn't work in the hub, but I wouldn't have worked him if he wasn't available the hours I needed him. I made an exception with one helper and let him start late twice for college final exams because he was a hard worker, but normally I would have swapped out the helper if they weren't available when I need them.

Some drivers/routes don't need a helper all day, but on the route I ran last peak I needed one about an hour into the day.

laffter

There is no way in the world you would have ever worked an 18 hour day in my center, let alone 14-16 hours. My helper is a preloader and my center manager would make sure he was off-road before hitting 12 hours combined.

What's the hourly pay rate for helpers over there?

I'd be royally pissed if my hours were capped. If they want to treat me better by capping hours, they can pay me more per hour. I count on this time of the year to earn as much money as I can.

Just to clarify, the 18-hour thing was actually just one single day. I haven't been able to get that many hours in one day since then. If I recall correctly, it was an unusual situation where I helped maybe 3 different drivers starting immediately after preload.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What's the hourly pay rate for helpers over there?

I'd be royally pissed if my hours were capped. If they want to treat me better by capping hours, they can pay me more per hour. I count on this time of the year to earn as much money as I can.

Just to clarify, the 18-hour thing was actually just one single day. I haven't been able to get that many hours in one day since then. If I recall correctly, it was an unusual situation where I helped maybe 3 different drivers starting immediately after preload.
In my local....Seasonal helper rate is $8/hr....seniority preload helper rate is 12.75.but there is no cap on hours.

laffter

In my local....Seasonal helper rate is $8/hr....seniority preload helper rate is 12.75.but there is no cap on hours.

We get 8.50 here. Doesn't matter if you're an outside helper, or inside with any amount of seniority.

I can understand a cap on hours if you get something like 12.75. But, 8.50 might as well be slave labor.

PT Car Washer

Just heard our helpers are going to be paid $15.00/hr. Heard rumors seasonal package handlers will be paid $14.00/hr. OMS who does recruiting did tell me new hires will receive an $80.00 a week bonus each week they reported to work each day. Asked him about seasonal and he told me still tying to hire enough permanent PT for all the sorts.

BUCN85

Do it for sure it's great money. Ive done it for several years. Driver helper is the easiest money you will see with your time at this company