Loader and Helper

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Jeremaih156, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Jeremaih156

Jeremaih156 Member

I'm just curious has anyone else been a loader while being a driver's helper ? Or used to be ?
  2. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Really that's the question ? Yes
  3. Box Ox

Box Ox Would rather be driving an E-frame

See sups asks preloaders if they want to go out as helpers all the time.
  4. GillEagan

GillEagan I always look 10 years younger than I am.

I asked the driver if any of the loaders go out as helpers in this area. He said some do. Apparently most don't as they start at midnight.
  5. Number24

Number24 #24

At my hub you are not eligible to work both. It's either one or the other.
  6. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

That's stupid lol
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Our center used to prefer using insiders; however, they now prefer to limit the hours insiders work to make sure they are available for the duration of Peak.
  8. fres431

fres431 Active Member

NorCal 50% of the helpers must come within the union the other come from off the street
  9. HardknocksUPSer

Our management doesn't care as long as I work no more than 12hrs a day. I'd work 13-14 if I could but they say it's agianst DOT regulations.
  10. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

No it's not. 14 hours, with a one hour break in there. So ACTUALLY working 13 hours is not a DOT violation.
  11. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

You're not driving so DOT HOS rules don't apply to you.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. HardknocksUPSer

Just tellin what center manager told me guys...
  13. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

As long as you're not driving there is no law or regulation that prevents you from working as much as you want, the limits are being set by the company.
  14. Dub

Dub New Member

I worked preload and driver helped my first few years. There were weeks Id get 60 hours between the two.
  15. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

They lied. I've gone out helping during summer peak...worked 6 hrs preload....left the.building at drivers' start time on the PC and got back around 8-9pm. With a lunch, it was a 16-17 hour day. We are not bound by DOT rules.
  16. fres431

fres431 Active Member

She is right my building had a part timer work 16hrs this peak they had over 70hrs for the week no restrictions as long as you don't drive
  17. wetleg

wetleg New Member

2 drivers I was with told me that the loaders who came on and helped them out were just worn out after a few hours and they had to let them go and get someone else.
  18. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

My loader was also a helper for the intown route driver. He was a cover once. But, wanted to load. Ups lost a good driver here. Awesome loader. No misplaced in over a yr now
  19. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Seems that you have the typical center manager idiot who doesn't know his butt from :censored2: in the ground
    Lasted edited by : Dec 27, 2014
  20. HardknocksUPSer

Lol it's a woman if that makes it even worse? Haha