Loader or Sort

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you are a new employee...and i'm guessing you are...you don't get to pick and choose where you want to work. You are told what to do..and will probably be bounced around a lot. :rolleyes2:

Acc0rd

They are picking sorters right outa the training classes in the hub im at now. Its well worth it, loading sucked. Did that only one Christmas back in the late 90s and said nope and went to a sort aisle for my next 6 years and was so much better! You were also treated better because you had knowledge so you were worth a tad more.

J

jibbs

Sorting's pretty legit right until you get an over-70 that has to be put on a belt that's over shoulder-height for you.

If you can deal with an almost constant 4 hour workout then go with the sort spot if you can. Loading can be a bitch sometimes.

PT Car Washer

Over 70's go to the irreg belt down at your feet. Only time it is a workout is when you get a hotshot unloader. Even then you get a break when you switch trailers.

J

jibbs

Over 70's go to the irreg belt down at your feet. Only time it is a workout is when you get a hotshot unloader. Even then you get a break when you switch trailers.

In my center, there is no irreg belt. What can't go on the belt gets placed (read: rolled or tossed) down the steps to keep them out of the sort aisle's way. The irregs left on the floor get cleaned up periodically by unloaders as they finish trucks so that people can walk through but, again in my center, what doesn't go down the belt gets hand-carted to it's proper belt.

They try to get everything possible down the belts during the shift. Pretty much the only thing that gets left for the end are stupidly large boxes and over-70 sets of tires. Other than that? Seems like the sort aisle where I work is expected to send irregs through whenever possible. That's why part of the every day background noise I hear is the periodic "IRREG!" getting shouted across the building. It's to let people splitting the belts know to get the :censored2: out of the way of the slide, lol.

RandomDrone

They try to get everything possible down the belts during the shift. Pretty much the only thing that gets left for the end are stupidly large boxes and over-70 sets of tires.
In my hub we get lots of "68lbs" boxes coming down the belts that are at least 80lbs. There are also a lot of very bulky but not necessarily heavy packages that are virtually guaranteed to cause a jam or three during their journey.

J

jibbs

In my hub we get lots of "68lbs" boxes coming down the belts that are at least 80lbs. There are also a lot of very bulky but not necessarily heavy packages that are virtually guaranteed to cause a jam or three during their journey.

Yeah, same. Hearing "IRREG!" and "JAM ON BLUE/YELLOW/RED/WHITE!" go hand-in-hand in my building.

The only reason I can see why we do it this way is because we're a smaller center than a typical UPS operation. I don't think the volume would justify an irreg belt, to be honest, but I'm sure it'd make preload go a bit more smoothly every morning if we had one.

Seahawks17

I've been a loader for 3 years and enjoy it way more than sorting. A lot of people in my hub have gotten hurt on the sort aisle, injuring their shoulders putting heavy boxes up on the upper belts constantly. They are hiring and putting new people straight to the sort aisle, which kinda sucks because we get tons of missorts. If you are there long enough and get the extra $1 by being pick-off certified, that's the route to go. I'm pick-off certified and have only picked-off maybe 10 times in 3 years, but I still make the same as sorters.

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

Yeah, same. Hearing "IRREG!" and "JAM ON BLUE/YELLOW/RED/WHITE!" go hand-in-hand in my building.

The only reason I can see why we do it this way is because we're a smaller center than a typical UPS operation. I don't think the volume would justify an irreg belt, to be honest, but I'm sure it'd make preload go a bit more smoothly every morning if we had one.
The building I work out of is a small hub with 2 delivery centers. Run a day sort, twi sort and midnight sort along with a preload operation.

J

jibbs

That might be the difference. I'm just at a stand-alone center. The main hub we get our work from isn't even in-state, lol.

But hey, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass because I've only been on the sort aisle maybe 10 times, I dunno. I just know that irregs get pushed through the center ASAP, not sent down a special belt-- why it's done like that is beyond me, because we've definitely got a belt for smalls and post office bags. Might be a good question for me to ask someone on Tuesday...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That might be the difference. I'm just at a stand-alone center. The main hub we get our work from isn't even in-state, lol.

But hey, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass because I've only been on the sort aisle maybe 10 times, I dunno. I just know that irregs get pushed through the center ASAP, not sent down a special belt-- why it's done like that is beyond me, because we've definitely got a belt for smalls and post office bags. Might be a good question for me to ask someone on Tuesday...
you don't have separate belts for irregs and overweights?

J

jibbs

Nope. Red, Blue and Yellow are the belts preloaders load off of, White is the small sort.

There are absolutely no belts in my building other than those four. Plenty of rollers to play around with, though.

RandomDrone

That might be part of it. We have a ton of irregs that get brought around the hub for loading, but a lot of packages that should be on those carts end up on the belts. I don't know for sure but I suspect it's a sup on the unload/inside sort trying to keep their numbers good. I'm in a hub with over 100 outbound bays and 25+ unloading bays so maybe this issue effects the medium to large size facilities more.