Loader to PT Supervisor? Should I do it?

UPSGUY72

Quick question, if I decided to go after a PT Sup position, if I wasn't happy there, could I just drop back into my loading/un-loading position? Or would my only option be to quit?

Once you jump off the cliff it's a one way trip right to the bottom.

Last edited:

gobug1

the coordinator asked me to submit a letter of intent to become a pt supervisor.

As of now, i am a pt loader. Should i make the switch?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of becoming a supervisor? Would you recommend the switch..?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

no don't do it!! It is the worse mistake a person can make. No advantages what so ever. No perks only hassle, stress, etc.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
If you go it being a soup and your a pre loader/ loader? Then they will make you into a pre load / load soup, which you will probably have to load anyways if someone is sick or calls out. Plus you will have to train overs to do those jobs. If you miss load a lot during it you will be fired no questions asked.

Going soup, you gain no respect from either side of the plain. Management hates you, and we PTers hate you even more. We see you as a nonproductive part of UPS, thus expendable. Your choices do nothing but cause us problems.

If you like the people you work with, I suggest not to. If you want it easier, want to make a difference here and / or need to pay for college by all means then. But once you do go into it, you will never given a chance to drive or go fulltime.. unless your here for decades. Good luck, choose wisely!

Edit: oh yea I forgot, you will be screamed at all the time. They love blaming you for just about anything. Stay PT means you have a lot more protection and gain respect over time.

UPSSOCKS

If you go it being a soup and your a pre loader/ loader? Then they will make you into a pre load / load soup, which you will probably have to load anyways if someone is sick or calls out. Plus you will have to train overs to do those jobs. If you miss load a lot during it you will be fired no questions asked.

Going soup, you gain no respect from either side of the plain. Management hates you, and we PTers hate you even more. We see you as a nonproductive part of UPS, thus expendable. Your choices do nothing but cause us problems.

If you like the people you work with, I suggest not to. If you want it easier, want to make a difference here and / or need to pay for college by all means then. But once you do go into it, you will never given a chance to drive or go fulltime.. unless your here for decades. Good luck, choose wisely!

Edit: oh yea I forgot, you will be screamed at all the time. They love blaming you for just about anything. Stay PT means you have a lot more protection and gain respect over time.

Nice advice stay part time and you will gain respect?

fethrs

Look around at the other pt sups and see how they are treated. Ask them how they like the job. Look at what they deal with on a daily basis, and the hours and the payrate too.
Sups do not have the union if they need it, and upper management can move you around to different positions whether you like it or not...
Do it if you really want to, not because some coordinator wants you too.
Some people can handle it and some regret it.

TheKid

Before I went driving I was a PT sup. for 3 yrs. . . . It was the worst 8 yrs. of my life. They own you and like fethrs said you have know one to back you up. The union takes a bad rap on this site alot and some times deserves it. . . but when push comes to shove they have your back. As a sup. your boss can walk in one day and say "you are fired" and guess what ? Thanks for playing, there are some lovely parting gifts on your way out.

Just one guy's opinion who has been there

Upser08

Please don't listen to the bs! I don't know any pt sups who ever work more than their salaried hours.
I get paid my hourly rate for 27.5 hours per week and usually work 22 or 23 hours per week. It is great.
Peak season you will exceed your hours but I got time and half for anything over 27.5.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think you should do it. To much stress. I wish I never heard of ups

When you go to work tomorrow and walk through the employee entrance, take a second to glance at the sign over the door--it should say "Exit". Feel free to use it any time. You will be replaced in a day and forgotten sooner than that.

Upser08

Re: Loader to PT Supervisor? Should I do it?

If I had to be a soup I think it would be tomato:) sup

Upser08

The hardest part about being a pt sup is the lack of accountability of your employees.
At my hub you have to flow 1200 pph you have to use a loadstand you have to put smalls in a tote box and you have to know your dok (safety questions) that's it. Very few hourly employees can even come close to doing these things. This is the bare minimum! If my unload crew could do the bare minimum we would be the best in the business.

Being a sup is only stressful because of your employees. If you can convince them to be on your team, you will be good to go.

Almost three times the pay. I have never worked past my guaranteed 27.5 except peak season which I got overtime after I exceeded 27.5

If you want to lift heavy :censored2: for ever then do nothing. If you want a career, take the next step.

Good luck.