Loaders, Help us out...

S

splozi

If the argument is that there are bad preloaders because management lets them be bad and doesn't even try to correct the problem, then I agree one hundred percent. If the argument is that there are bad preloaders because the training, or lack of it, sucks monkey ass, then I also agree.

Even if a preloader continues to be bad over an extended period of time, while it is the preloaders fault that he doesn't care... it is managements responsibility to rectify the issue. They KNOW who sucks and who doesn't. The fact is simply that they do not care. Overall, load quality means nothing to them.

- Management is to blame for their initial suckiness.
- Management is to blame for nothing being done about their continued suckiness.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sexual frustration describes the condition in which a human or animal is in a state of agitation, depression, stress, loneliness or anxiety due to prolonged virginity, sexual inactivity and/or sexual dissatisfaction that leads him or her to want more sex or better sex(which can lead to them opening up to the opposite gender), or a state in which he or she is perpetually sexually aroused but with no means to truly satiate the desires. Most often it implies simply an uncomfortably low level of sexual activity, such as typifies sexual dysfunction or involuntary celibacy. The term can also mean some arousing stimulation without orgasm that is causing frustration over lack of orgasm

Sexual frustration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...just saying.
:rofl: :rofl: I admit to being frustrated. You have no clue. :rofl: HAHAHAHAHAHA

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had an awesome loader last year, and I gave him $100 for Christmas. When I came back to work after peak, they moved him down the line. Now I have the worst loader in the building...
Why he is allowed to continued to be employed is the managers decision, wouldn't you say?

curiousbrain

If the argument is that there are bad preloaders because management lets them be bad and doesn't even try to correct the problem, then I agree one hundred percent. If the argument is that there are bad preloaders because the training, or lack of it, sucks monkey ass, then I also agree.

Even if a preloader continues to be bad over an extended period of time, while it is the preloaders fault that he doesn't care... it is managements responsibility to rectify the issue. They KNOW who sucks and who doesn't. The fact is simply that they do not care. Overall, load quality means nothing to them.

- Management is to blame for their initial suckiness.
- Management is to blame for nothing being done about their continued suckiness.

I can only speak from my own experience, but it (as usual) is not as cut and dry, or as black and white, as that.

The reality is that a good preloader is hard to judge from the beginning; for many reasons - let me enumerate some of them.

1) Some employees are only in it for the union protection/benefits. In this case, they are the best employee until they make seniority; once that happens, their performance/attendance/etc drops like a rock. So, the obvious question is why not move them somewhere else? The answer, sadly, is because if you move them, who will you replace them with? Someone who sucks even harder, to be plain about it. If you think your current loader sucks, wait and see what the guy from unload does when you direct him to load. I suggest you bring a shovel and a wheelbarrow to work that day.

2) Most new hires are young; not all, but most. What this means, from a supervisory/people perspective, is that they, as an individual, don't necessarily know how to deal with intense pressure/stress, similar to what is heaped upon them during UPS preload (or other aspects of operations, obviously). So, maybe they do well for the first few months, but then they realize that the pressure is never going to stop, the cardboard will keep flowing, and all that lovely stuff. At a certain point, some people just crack and stop caring - but, they've already made seniority, can't really be fired, and the alternative (as suggested above) is even worse.

3) Some people who, initially, had a plan to deal with the stress mentioned in the previous point, eventually (sometimes after years of service) give up. Who can blame them, we are all simply human and even the best of us will throw up our hands eventually. Yep, that means you get a crappy load as a driver; eventually, you will probably throw up your hands as well and just laugh because the company pays your OT. That is the mentality of some preloaders, as well.

4) Replace people with new hires. That, sadly, is not an option as far as I can tell; reason being, a building is already staffed to its quota - if you can't fire anyone, you are stuck with what you have. The problem then falls on the shift managers/part-time supervisors as to why "you didn't train them right", which is as stupid a question to ask as anything. Because, as intimated earlier, there is no way (good training or not) to predict how a person will act when pushed into the fire that is UPS; even after years, if you have a "good judgement of character", you still can't replace that crappy loader with ten years in because ... generally speaking, you can't fire people.

It is so easy to say "Well, the managers/supervisors are bad; that's why the preloaders are bad". This is ignoring the inherent problem of people: no one can predict what a person will do when put under tremendous pressure. I am not excusing the awful behavior that goes on elsewhere, because a lot of soups/mgr's don't give a crap, but for those of us who do - understand that until human nature can be quantified in a specific way, so that we know exactly how a person will behave under the conditions that exist when your package car is being loaded (extrapolated out for months and years on end), we simply do the best we can.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I disagree. Within 30 days, I can tell whether or not the job is a good fit. Most of my co-workers knew if a newbie was going to make it. It is quite obvious on the preload I worked. Two unloaders, one spa, one spa/surepost, one DA/splitter/surepost and 7 loaders. Pretty easy to spot. If it's that easy here, I can't see it being that hard anywhere else. It was obvious at the airport, and with the hub workers that would come over. Sorry, but that is my opinion and that fact that Upstate disagrees validates it for me.

S

splozi

I'm pretty sure your opinion and my/others' opinions can coexist. They don't necessarily cancel each other out. There's plenty of blame to spread around.

Although, I do agree that not everybody can tell if a person is going to make it within 30 days. I'm pretty sure nobody thought I was going to. And here I am... I actually enjoy going into work each morning. I don't know if that makes me insane...

EDIT: I actually meant this in response to brownbaggin's post. The formatting didn't show up right.

Last edited by a moderator:

brownhorn

Sometimes I'm entertained by these threads and sometimes my eyes glaze over and my life force just drains. This would be the latter.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
Sometimes I'm entertained by these threads and sometimes my eyes glaze over and my life force just drains. This would be the latter.

What does it for me, is that a noob created an account, to comment on a 2 year old post. The nugget shared with us????

Wow

brownhorn

Actually had an account for a long time just been in the weeds. About to start year 25 for brown, so not a noob there either. Just an observation. Showed up on my TL because I guess the previous poster commented on it? Sorry.

Sent using BrownCafe App

EastBrown N Down

Funny this thread was resurrected today? I've had drivers come find me on the box line and thank me for the loading job I did the previous day.. yesterday I had a driver I loaded for the first time make a formal complaint against me.. my pt sup' s boss came and checked my loads today and had not one thing to say about them.. some guys will never be happy.. even at 33plus/hr?