Loading by hin number.

NotFun

Started my first day on preload, have some questions.

I was running out of room on my shelves for packages. I was told to put smaller boxes behind bigger ones. Seems to me the driver would be doing a lot of searching this way. Also when loading shelves with packages that have the same hin numbers but different address, do they need to be put in order by the address?

There was no training where I work and was told to hurry up move faster.

I ended up having to resort almost the whole truck because I loaded boxes behind boxes with a lower hin number.

Whats the best way to have a smooth load without having to shift everything around do to running out of space.

I cant really guess how many boxes I will have per shelf, and ended up running out of space.

djkre8r

I was told to put smaller boxes behind bigger ones. Seems to me the driver would be doing a lot of searching this way.
Yup, drivers do a lot of searching when it is loaded that way.

Sounds like your training crew is the same we have.

Also when loading shelves with packages that have the same hin numbers but different address, do they need to be put in order by the address?
Load by order of address - Low to High UNLESS there is a "X" by the number which means load High to Low.

Whats the best way to have a smooth load without having to shift everything around do to running out of space.
Space things out from the beginning of your sort. Don't load BIG boxes on the shelf - drop to the floor almost directly under where it goes on the shelf. This will give you more room on the shelf.

Bulk Stops - get a tote box to put the smalls in. Example: I load a college. They get lots of boxes and envelopes and books. I put the small stuff in the tote box. Make better for the loader and the driver.

Good Luck!

S

selfcancelsignal

I was running out of room on my shelves for packages. I was told to put smaller boxes behind bigger ones. Seems to me the driver would be doing a lot of searching this way. Also when loading shelves with packages that have the same hin numbers but different address, do they need to be put in order by the address?

I ended up having to resort almost the whole truck because I loaded boxes behind boxes with a lower hin number.

I cant really guess how many boxes I will have per shelf, and ended up running out of space.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

S

selfcancelsignal

If you have a dispatcher who gives a rip at all, he'll print out a page showing you approximately how many pkgs. you'll have on shelves 1000-8000, FL1-4, & RDL, RDR, & RDC. Our dispatcher when I worked the preload didn't do this. The 1 we have now does. Doesn't much matter to me now as I've been driving about a year. Another thing that's nice to do is if you have 4 for 1 stop & 1 is big, put all 4 on the floor, not 3 on the shelf & 1 on the floor. That can be quite pissful when searching.

Sent from the 64GB US Cellular iPhone 5S of selfcancelsignal

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

You can put higher numbers behind lower numbers neatly on the shelf. Example you have two lip loaded 6500 boxes on the shelf and you.put a 6600 behind it. If the shelf is full, and you have say three small boxes to load on the already full shelf...pick the biggest box on the shelf...drop it to the floor, and put the 3 smaller one on the shelf in HIN order. Don't put small packages on the floor unless they're PAL'd there (RDL, RDR, RDC,or FL1-4) and no boxes over 50 lbs on a shelf...put them on the floor.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
You can put higher numbers behind lower numbers neatly on the shelf. Example you have two lip loaded 6500 boxes on the shelf and you.put a 6600 behind it. If the shelf is full, and you have say three small boxes to load on the already full shelf...pick the biggest box on the shelf...drop it to the floor, and put the 3 smaller one on the shelf in HIN order.

I'd suggest putting 65xx packages behind the 6500, 66xx behind 6600 and so on..

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yes, put the small boxes behind the big ones please.
And no, they don't have to be in exact order, just get them in the right general area. We'll do the rest.

We recently had our DM "redo" the preload and had loaders put the small packages on the lip and big packages against the wall. The problem with this is that when we are driving and make a turn, if the weight shifts in one of those big packages it leans forward and pushes everything in front of it off of the shelf and onto the floor.

When you lip load the big packages, load them up and down on end and not flat. And label facing forward if possible.

NotFun

Thanks everyone.

Heres the deal, I have a good job as a concrete truck driver.
Its also union Teamsters, all paid benefits, and all the overtime
you want, so its good money.

I have wanted to work at UPS for a long time and finally
got my foot in the door.

Im about to be 31 years old, and I can afford to work
part time because my wife makes good money.

The thing is being a Pre Loader at UPS doesn't have
that good feeling that I thought working there would have.

I know I can get past all the crap and work my up, but who
really knows how long it might take.

I figured if it takes 4 years I could retire from UPS with 30 years
full time at 65.

What do you think?

Cementups

Box Monkey

That's because preload sucks until you get settled in and get a routine down.

Personally I could never pick off a belt. I always so much better out of a boxline. Not sure which you are working off of. With a boxline it was nice to be able to sort out the packages in the bin as they went around and then next time they came around, grab a stack and take them to their respected package cars.

NotFun

That's because preload sucks until you get settled in and get a routine down.

Personally I could never pick off a belt. I always so much better out of a boxline. Not sure which you are working off of. With a boxline it was nice to be able to sort out the packages in the bin as they went around and then next time they came around, grab a stack and take them to their respected package cars.

Its a belt.

Thing is, im a driver, I have had a few different types of delivery jobs its what I do.

I just don't know about putting in years waiting to move up.
If UPS would have hired me as a driver, no doubt id work there
till retirement.

jaker

trolling
Big boxes on the floor , I wish my loader understood that , he will put 3 big boxes on the shelf and then put everything else on the floor

1 stop on the shelf , 6 on the floor all for the 2000 shelf

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
imagesCALHXI31.jpg
Thanks everyone.

Heres the deal, I have a good job as a concrete truck driver.
Its also union Teamsters, all paid benefits, and all the overtime
you want, so its good money.

I have wanted to work at UPS for a long time and finally
got my foot in the door.

Im about to be 31 years old, and I can afford to work
part time because my wife makes good money.

I know I can get past all the crap and work my up, but who
really knows how long it might take.

I figured if it takes 4 years I could retire from UPS with 30 years
full time at 65.

What do you think?
First of all your not going to be able to drive 30 years physically, or you can but youll be like this gentleman

Future

Victory Ride
try to communicate with your driver when you are unable to load in precise order(which yes I know is everyday).....use the crayon on boxes or leave him a headsup note where pkgs out of order are loaded....or just plain out tell him verbally...My loader does this and it will save me time searching...Its a good thing that you do have a concern about this!

Z

ZQXC

Rolls of fabric, and tubes on the floor.
Definitely not top shelf, against the wall, with 37 heavy boxes in front of them.
C'mon man.....