Loading PC's

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I loaded PC's 20 years ago. There were no PAL labels, you actually had to know sequence numbers and had charts to help you.
We have a few preloaders left from the 80s and the drivers fight over them. The loads are pristine. They're amazing.
It's funny that if you pull a PAL off and take it to a PT sup, they don't have a clue who it goes to. Sometimes that's understandable with the Add/cut splits that happening all the time.
With our dispatcher I sometimes wonder if the package should even be in our center. (joking obviously)

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
We have a few preloaders left from the 80s and the drivers fight over them. The loads are pristine. They're amazing.

Those guys are looking at the main label first, then the pal.
They know how to make the best use of the space.
And they know what to do when some of the stops blow out.

HardknocksUPSer

Those guys are looking at the main label first, then the pal.
They know how to make the best use of the space.
And they know what to do when some of the stops blow out.
Guy down the belt from me goes by the address instead of PAL, probably one of the best loaders in my center.

Drink Craft Beer

i did a 20 year fulltime bit on preload. most of the time i had a 6 car assignment about 1400 -1500 pieces. this was with charts and 4 digit chart numbers that had to be memorized. many streets had multiple chart numbers depending on address. plus the cage i pulled was always half packed with missorts from the slide. i went down to 5 cars after the PAS system was implemented and it was like night and day as far as loading.
Having 6 cars with 1400-1500 pieces would be easier due to more available space than compared to being asked to fit the same amount of pieces in 4 cars like today.

HardknocksUPSer

Having 6 cars with 1400-1500 pieces would be easier due to more available space than compared to being asked to fit the same amount of pieces in 4 cars like today.
Very debatable, many variables go into the situation, with more cars your doing more walking, also depends greatly on how even the flow comes towards you, some days the flows back to back and some days it's splotchy.

Drink Craft Beer

Very debatable, many variables go into the situation, with more cars your doing more walking, also depends greatly on how even the flow comes towards you, some days the flows back to back and some days it's splotchy.
But 1400-1500 pieces is an easier fit into 6 cars than 4. With only 4 cars, you have a much better chance of being stacked out for most of the shift with less room to work.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My loader has been loading my route for nearly a decade. He is above average and makes my day pretty easy. I had a loader in my last center who was able to load every package in perfect sequence in a bricked out 700 just loading the big bulk stops on the floor/aisle. I would give a $500 tip to be able to have him load my truck everyday.

iDontWorkAtUps

Dont let getting overwhelmed make you mad, once you stop getting pissed off about it you'll be fine. Make your trucks neat as possible and stack out if you have to, everyone does it eventually.