Local 251 Rats and new slate formation

street walking cheetah

Ups is an international co..why would a local from RI need to use it?
Alright. ......I'll go a little slower. The International Brotherhood of Teamsters picked Peak Delancey in Maryland to have UPS contract books printed there. Local 251, as described to me, ordered contract books through the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
???

You know me...
I didn't miss the point all... explain why we need to get our stuff from local 251 printed outside of RI ?we have union print shops here..
Just throwing this out there but...to save the local some money? If the quote from a Union printer in Detroit was exponentially cheaper than a local union printer, can we agree that going with the out of state guys makes sense? Also, I'm pretty sure the print job was shipped to the hall via UPS...

Inthegame

The UPS contracts were printed by the IBT, not locals. Argue with the IBT over why Peake Delancey was chosen, but they've been printing National UPS/IBT CBA's for some time.
Locals should use local (union) vendors whenever possible, however going for cost savings is acceptable.
The validity of spending $25K on TDU "education" is a legitimate question and should be answered for by the leadership.

You know me...
The UPS contracts were printed by the IBT, not locals. Argue with the IBT over why Peake Delancey was chosen, but they've been printing National UPS/IBT CBA's for some time.
Locals should use local (union) vendors whenever possible, however going for cost savings is acceptable.
The validity of spending $25K on TDU "education" is a legitimate question and should be answered for by the leadership.

Why does the source of the education matter? If 100k was spent on airfare hotels, meals and registration to send members across the country for a non-TDU educational labor seminar, would that be acceptable to you?

wreckingball251

Why are you having such a problem with being questioned on financials?Membership has a right to know. If you have nothing to hide then there shouldn't be a problem with answering the question.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Why are you having such a problem with being questioned on financials?Membership has a right to know. If you have nothing to hide then there shouldn't be a problem with answering the question.
He doesn't have to answer any of your questions.

You should feel fortunate that he has answered your questions so far.

You know you could just go to the membership ting and have all your questions answered.

If I was a member I would definitely have some questions about a 25k education vacation. I would bring the boys with me down to the hall and get to the bottom of it.

Inthegame

Why does the source of the education matter? If 100k was spent on airfare hotels, meals and registration to send members across the country for a non-TDU educational labor seminar, would that be acceptable to you?
I didn't say the source mattered, I said the spending mattered. Any spending outside of essential services should be questioned by the membership and answered for by the leadership. 25K is a fair amount of education and a substantial amount of the members money. Your local most likely has (or should have) policies with spending limits that should require membership approval for that amount. If it's legit, a motion to allow it should be no problem. 100K on your fantasy trip should get people in the back pages.

You are in office now. You work for the members and they have a right to ask you these questions. You need to buck up and get ready to explain them.

I didn't say the source mattered, I said the spending mattered. Any spending outside of essential services should be questioned by the membership and answered for by the leadership. 25K is a fair amount of education and a substantial amount of the members money. Your local most likely has (or should have) policies with spending limits that should require membership approval for that amount. If it's legit, a motion to allow it should be no problem. 100K on your fantasy trip should get people in the back pages.
If not banned for five years.

You know me...
I'll answer any question I am asked brother, as long as I know the answer and am qualified to speak on it. As you well know, i am not on the Eboard, so every financial I speak to will be from my understanding of what had transpired in the board room. If you want a more definite answer to a fiscal question, I'm sorry. I am not qualified to answer it, and I refuse to bullsh1t you.

But I honestly do not understand your question. You are asking why 30k was spent on member education. I'm going to give you the obvious answer...to educate our members. Not sure what you are fishing for.

You know me...
25k is a large amount of money,was this education opened to all members or just chosen ones? What was the education?

I don't know. I would ask the Eboard that question. Write them a letter, and they will take it up in their next meeting.

wreckingball251

You have been pretty sure of yourself up to this point...strange a very simple question can't be answered but you can recite word for word what someone in the old administration spent 5yrs ago...

You know me...
I call BS your hiding something!!!!

Sorry you feel that way brother. You are looking for facts that I do not have. If you want me to give you my opinion, thats a different story. I have no shortage of those. But you asked for facts, not my opinion. I told you the proper way to obtain the information you're seeking. It's the best I can do for you brother.

You know me...
I'll respect that...and I'll ask your opinion! !!
My opinion is that it probably went to much needed Steward training. I know that in some of the barns I took over, stewards were not allowed to file grievances. I don't operate like that. I insist that my stewards know how to fill out a grievance form, know what to mention in them and more importantly, what NOT to mention in them. I had asked for some steward training, and TRF was by far the cheapest to offer that service. They received a basic understanding of the importance of the grievance procedure, and even some tips on preparing for arbitration. I took that basic knowledge, and have been cultivating it into a more refined understanding of how I operate when it comes to the grievance procedure, and arbitration prep. I know a few other BA's have asked for Steward training, but you're going to have to ask them what it entailed. I don't have those details.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Are those union educaters they are using or scabs?