Local 2727 and UPS to meet in D.C.

705red

Browncafe Steward
i am so pissed at your last post airbus.

you think some of us are in management because we couldnt make it as sorters, loaders, and drivers? how about some of us have career aspirations to make this the best company it can be? who came up with the plan for worldport or to expand service? the teamsters? give me a break.

Its a fact! Jack! Most that go into management do so because they can no longer do what we do, there's no shame in it, just don't deny it!

What kind of aspirations are you talking about? Are you a puppet on a string or do you get the whole hand up your back side? Every management person has another that tells them what to do, free thinking is not allowed, so don't try and bs on this!

you jerk. you think we surf the internet all day? you think you are the only people that work? this company would fold without managment.

Actually i think we have already seen how good of a job you management people did in 97 on running the business! I believe that the company would actually run better with less management and more hourly input, but what do i know? I'm only a truck driver with no aspirations!

gawd some of you need to take off your union colored glasses and realize we ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. I'd love to educate you sometime.

Teach away Mr. Educator..... We the driver find you the sales lead, were you try and screw us out of our share, and than you get a salary/commission from this shipper, because of the driver, yeah were in this together!
and FYI for you, in sales, I took a 30% pay cut because of the volume being down...i think you still got your raise this year. damn you make me so mad.
I just delivered 300 stops for 510 pieces and another 20 pick ups for 200 pcs and when your at home typing this today, I'm busting my rear in an ice storm! Oh ya, a whole 35 cents, isn't even noticeable on our checks!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
it's absoluitly laughable at your perspective on the company. y'all should just go ahead, schedule the routes, implement new technology, find and retain new customers, take care of the balance sheet, engineer billion dollar acquisitions, and whatever else management doesnt do. dont forget to spend all day surfing the internet and playing golf.

you forget, there is no 9.5 days for management....we work till the job is done.

I am in management because fedex delivered 7 million packages a day. they should deliver none. We should also never have a damage or a late package...all good goals, dont you think... wait...that would mean more work for you...so sorry about that. maybe we could hire more people...?

i never implied management could run the whole company, but you think i did, so thanks for proving my point that you dont realize we are all in this together.

you dont like your job, put in a letter of intent. come to management and take **** all day long from the drivers and your managers. have fun.

we DONT GET COMMISSION on a sales lead. THE DRIVER DOES. i can sell a 2 package account ALL DAY and it doesnt make me a dime. I have a number that I have to hit, and if i dont hit it, I dont get paid. there i no such thing as sales commission except for drivers on their amex cards. yet another un-informed comment.

we cant afford to hire management to go find every sales lead....that is because you all get all the money at this company. you jsut said we should have LESS mangement...you going to negotiate contract with new customers?

i'm not trying to pick a fight, but quit your high and mighty or you will end up looking silly.

i'm tired of defending me and other managers jobs as worthwhile to you people. we are all on one team and you seem to want to play on your own team. good luck. just dont wreck my truck.

edit: if you have only earned .35 on sales leads, you obvisouly are terrible at talking to customers and asking them for their business. I have 4 drivers that all made over $500 this year becasue of leads I SOLD FOR THEM. did i get a dime? nope.

and I work until at least 9 pm every day, just setting up my appointments and presentations for the next day...and that includes sunday night while YOU are watching football.

UPSNewbie

it's absoluitly laughable at your perspective on the company. y'all should just go ahead, schedule the routes, implement new technology, find and retain new customers, take care of the balance sheet, engineer billion dollar acquisitions, and whatever else management doesnt do. dont forget to spend all day surfing the internet and playing golf.

you forget, there is no 9.5 days for management....we work till the job is done.

I am in management because fedex delivered 7 million packages a day. they should deliver none. We should also never have a damage or a late package...all good goals, dont you think... wait...that would mean more work for you...so sorry about that. maybe we could hire more people...?

i never implied management could run the whole company, but you think i did, so thanks for proving my point that you dont realize we are all in this together.

you dont like your job, put in a letter of intent. come to management and take **** all day long from the drivers and your managers. have fun.

we DONT GET COMMISSION on a sales lead. THE DRIVER DOES. i can sell a 2 package account ALL DAY and it doesnt make me a dime. I have a number that I have to hit, and if i dont hit it, I dont get paid. there i no such thing as sales commission except for drivers on their amex cards. yet another un-informed comment.

we cant afford to hire management to go find every sales lead....that is because you all get all the money at this company. you jsut said we should have LESS mangement...you going to negotiate contract with new customers?

i'm not trying to pick a fight, but quit your high and mighty or you will end up looking silly.

i'm tired of defending me and other managers jobs as worthwhile to you people. we are all on one team and you seem to want to play on your own team. good luck. just dont wreck my truck.

edit: if you have only earned .35 on sales leads, you obvisouly are terrible at talking to customers and asking them for their business. I have 4 drivers that all made over $500 this year becasue of leads I SOLD FOR THEM. did i get a dime? nope.

and I work until at least 9 pm every day, just setting up my appointments and presentations for the next day...and that includes sunday night while YOU are watching football.

You being in sales, I don't believe you should be on the managerial witch hunt list. You're the exception in management. What you do is worthwhile, not force-feeding force-fed information to hourlies. UPS wastes tons of money on managers who don't manage. I can understand you standing up for some of your colleagues, but not all. I have seen some excellent management and, more often than not, piss-poor management.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
You being in sales, I don't believe you should be on the managerial witch hunt list. You're the exception in management. What you do is worthwhile, not force-feeding force-fed information to hourlies. UPS wastes tons of money on managers who don't manage. I can understand you standing up for some of your colleagues, but not all. I have seen some excellent management and, more often than not, piss-poor management.

fair enough. :happy2: trust me, I have just as much problem with management at this company as the union. I'm trying to fix it from the inside out!

serisouly folks, thank you for all you do. You do what you do best, and I'll find more volume!

beentheredonethat

Been there, you job requires no education or skill. Pilots, mechanics, and drivers all have skills that most management dont. Managers are people that couldnt make it at driving, mechanicing, piloting, sorting, etc etc. We have skills that UPS need to have an efficient operation that provides our customers a valuable service commitment. Sitting behind a desk surfing the internet for tee times and jacking with workers on a chat board is someone the company can cut pay for, not the people that make it happen.

Airbus.. No offense, but you don't even know what my job is. Yet you can make a comment that my job requires no skill. And you base that on...?
I was a bright student and went to college and got an engineering degree. My father was a union worker (mailman), and he wanted all his kids to have a better life and get a degree, and a good job. I went to college, started working at UPS as an hourly, got promoted to PT supv, got my degree, then went out driving for 9 months. I was a methods driver and ran scratch. I liked the job, but I didn't go to college to be a service provider for my entire career. I went back into UPS mgmt and am now a manager with UPS.
It's comments like this, that show that you aren't even willing to put yourself in the other persons shoes. I was in the other person's shoe and was a pkg driver. I know it's a tough job. But I also know it's a job that when I punch out, I don't have to think about my job until I punch in again.

ups79

Airbus.. No offense, but you don't even know what my job is. Yet you can make a comment that my job requires no skill. And you base that on...?
I was a bright student and went to college and got an engineering degree. My father was a union worker (mailman), and he wanted all his kids to have a better life and get a degree, and a good job. I went to college, started working at UPS as an hourly, got promoted to PT supv, got my degree, then went out driving for 9 months. I was a methods driver and ran scratch. I liked the job, but I didn't go to college to be a service provider for my entire career. I went back into UPS mgmt and am now a manager with UPS.
It's comments like this, that show that you aren't even willing to put yourself in the other persons shoes. I was in the other person's shoe and was a pkg driver. I know it's a tough job. But I also know it's a job that when I punch out, I don't have to think about my job until I punch in again.

Don't you understand, there are a lot of college grads with diplomas working as drivers with UPS. You are not special.

worldwide

Just to keep everything in context...

--UPS line mechanics make just over $43/hour (minimum $89,440/year)

--FedEx line mechanics make just over $40/hour (minimum $83,200/year)

--ABX line mechanics make about $32.70/hour (minimum $68,016/year)

--US Airways line mechanics make $29.06/hour (minimum $60,444/year)

--Median annual household income in the US is $48,700 (US Census Bureau)

What are the material differences in what line mechanics do at each of these airlines? I ask this in all seriousness. Are there material differences between what line mechanics do at these airlines? If so, what are they?

My understanding of a line mechanic is that they perform maintenance on the aircraft that keep them flying on a daily basis.
http://www.avjobs.com/careers/detail.asp?RecID=95

beentheredonethat

Don't you understand, there are a lot of college grads with diplomas working as drivers with UPS. You are not special.
Don't you understand I was replying to airbus who said I didn't need an education or any skill. My job does require a degree. I do know there are many people who have a college degree who work. I also know that the majority of drivers don't have a Bachelors degree. People who insult people who are different (weather that difference is gender, skin color, nationality, religion or even type of job) are prejudiced. If you don't like a mgmt person because they are an SOB fine. If you insult them just because there in mgmt makes you no better then some Mgmt folks who insult drivers just because they can and think less of them for being drivers.

ups79

Don't you understand I was replying to airbus who said I didn't need an education or any skill. My job does require a degree. I do know there are many people who have a college degree who work. I also know that the majority of drivers don't have a Bachelors degree. People who insult people who are different (weather that difference is gender, skin color, nationality, religion or even type of job) are prejudiced. If you don't like a mgmt person because they are an SOB fine. If you insult them just because there in mgmt makes you no better then some Mgmt folks who insult drivers just because they can and think less of them for being drivers.

whether not weather, their not there. What college did you attend?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

pwn3d - When one nerd claims superiority over another.

For example
Hawk780: I've never got it on with a girl, I own you.

ups79: oh yeah? Well I've never even spoken to a girl, but have 50GB of tentacle rape pr0n on my C:\ and have every star trek episode on DVD

Hawk780: omg you rule

ups79: omg *** j00 pwn3DD!!!1

Hawk780

No One in Particular
pwn3d - When one nerd claims superiority over another.

For example
Hawk780: I've never got it on with a girl, I own you.

ups79: oh yeah? Well I've never even spoken to a girl, but have 50GB of tentacle rape pr0n on my C: and have every star trek episode on DVD

Hawk780: omg you rule

ups79: omg *** j00 pwn3DD!!!1

Hoak, usually enjoy reading your posts, but you lost me on that one...I guess the unspoken point of my post was to mock ups79's spelling slam, along with his straying from the direction of this thread, which I think is an interesting one...I guess I'll learn to stay out of it (p0rn??? Really?)

airbusfxr

The thread has been taken by management and tangled up in a mess, like ALWAYS. Line mechanics at UPS sit in the ready room watching tv, surfing the internet, sleeping, or just daydreaming in the UPS maintenace trucks. Who cares what a line mechanic at USAir or FDX makes, the bottom line is UPS has a jumbled mess of used aircraft, mixed avionics, different engines, all intermixed with complicated systems. Each UPS Line Maintenace Tech has to be qualified on Engine Run and Taxi, Required Inspection Items, CAT, and ETOPS. In the morning you might have to change a tire on a B757 to quick turn to CAE, then you might have to upgrade an A300 to fly CAT 3b in heavy fog at MSY, then head to a fuel leak on a B747 that is loaded and on delay to ANC. Who cares what UPS Aircraft Mechanics make, we only want fair pay for a fair days work.

airbusfxr

Here's a little more info for the people who think 43 bucks is to much for UPS Airline mechanics. How about working on the #2 engine, at ANC, in Feb, and fuel pouring from the main fuel line? OK what about a Skydrol leak, in the tail section of an A300, in PHX, and in the middle of August? UPS has so many different types of jets that they want us to be proficient on ALL. This is why we are making more than the mechanics at other airlines, their companys have regulations on what they can do, UPS says DO IT ALL, Engine work, ETOPS, CAT, hyd, fuel, sheetmetal, etc etc etc. UPS says you make the most because we ask what NO AIRLINE in the world ask of their mechanics. UPS has used us all to move aircraft around the world to make profits like no other airline has every raked in. It is time to share the wealth with the 1200 men and women that the Company "holds responsible" for the safe operation of all UPS Aircraft.