Local 767 Mesquite Hub

JM_UPS2005

This hub is horrible. We're all over worked! Working 7 or more hours a day with a 10 minute break. We need changes!

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
You are getting over time every day, why are you complaining? You could just be working 3 and a half every day like most people at my hub. If you don't want to work check your hand book, in my area, if part timers don't want to work over five they can just leave. I've done it on a few occasions when I needed to be somewhere and they wanted me to stay past 5 hours, I just punched out and went home. They were mad but nothing they could do about it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You are getting over time every day, why are you complaining? You could just be working 3 and a half every day like most people at my hub. If you don't want to work check your hand book, in my area, if part timers don't want to work over five they can just leave. I've done it on a few occasions when I needed to be somewhere and they wanted me to stay past 5 hours, I just punched out and went home. They were mad but nothing they could do about it.

If you have part-timers banging out after 5 and refusing OT, they're definitely "getting away with one." You don't have a contractual right (unless there's something specific you can cite under your supplement) to refuse OT.

At least you guys are getting breaks. My 9-10 hour days lately (albeit the second half is voluntary and usually only 2-3 days a week) have been including no break at all because my state doesn't give a damn about working people and doesn't mandate one.

PT Car Washer

I always thought PT could refuse the OT. Cannot cite anything in the contract but past practice. Too many PTers have school or another job or children to watch for the company to force a PTer to work FT hours on a regular basis. How would they still be considered PT then?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I always thought PT could refuse the OT. Cannot cite anything in the contract but past practice. Too many PTers have school or another job or children to watch for the company to force a PTer to work FT hours on a regular basis. How would they still be considered PT then?

Not officially, unless there's an established past practice in the building/local. When I say "past practice", it would need to essentially be sort-wide and have been ongoing for at least a year. "Side deals" being made for one or two employees probably wouldn't cut it.

It's sort of an unwritten rule that if a PT'er has a second job/other obligation that management should make some effort to accommodate it with a staggered start time or letting them leave earlier. It really becomes a problem (in my experience) when people take off when there's 30-45 minutes left of work/wrap-up to do and the company uses it as an excuse to work supervisors instead.

Last edited:

JM_UPS2005

I don't mind the hours but here in Mesquite TX we're under Staffed and we're pushing around 250,000 packages just on day sort.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Island

Fellow 767 employee, know this, that Mesquite is one of the worst hubs in the country and there is good news. There are plans to build some new satellites and a new hub in our area to take some of the heat off you. Unfortunately due to the shift structure at UPS if your shift is assigned that volume, you really have no choice but to work it unless you have a second job that gets in the way. UPS does not break up part-time shifts into more part-time shifts just because the work hours double, as other companies would. A smart company would say, "ok, if this shift is working twice as long and it's killing the employees and the equipment, let's break it into two shifts with a break in between." UPS is not smart like that.
There is no set date on when the new buildings will begin running. And since the summer retail season is beginning, I don't think your work is going to slow down very soon. Hopefully the big volume transfer will happen before peak. Until then, stock up on power bars and powerade.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A smart company would say, "ok, if this shift is working twice as long and it's killing the employees and the equipment, let's break it into two shifts with a break in between." UPS is not smart like that.
Thanks, I got a good chuckle of of this statement.
If MESTX already has a day sort, then UPS has already split the volume over two shifts.
The network at UPS is very tight with each sort having different service areas for next day delivery.
Volume availability is also a reason that so much volume is processed on a sort.
Just because you do not understand the UPS network does not mean it is not smart.
As you get older, you'll understand this concept better.

Island

Mesquite is a regional feeder hub that also runs a huge delivery operation. If Day sort works enough to employ two shifts of part-timers, and the hub were a small private shipping company, they'd probably break that up into two-part time shifts but allow people to go officially full-time over both or temporarily doubleshift if the situation is going to change (which it will, when the new buildings in the area are complete). I didn't intend this to be any kind of send-up for the union or the company, just an anecdote.

I'm not sure that you, Photog, understand how badly Mesquite is run. A manager over there killed himself and had intended to take out his DM with him. Mesquite was on national news during peak for being the worst shipping failure in recent memory. The fact is that our region has grown so much, with all the suburban sprawl around our metroplex, that Mesquite can't handle the volume anymore. Too much meat is being shoved into the grinder, it's getting jammed and no one's able to eat their hamburgers. The volume is going to be offset by new buildings but they aren't ready yet. The sad thing is that the company knew this was going to happen probably a year ago and waited for this colossal failure before they finally started construction.
In my experience, regional air and feeder hubs that sort volume for half the country all use sunrise, day, twilight and midnight shifts, due to the itinerant nature of airplane and long-distance feeder arrivals. It is easier to have someone unload it when it arrives than to park and wait for a shift that doesn't happen until later that day. Continual operation means efficiency. In 767 to my knowledge the examples would be DFW, the major regional air hub, and Mesquite, the major regional feeder hub. Both use shifts that happen pretty much all day long, and always have, even when volume numbers didn't really require it.

PT Car Washer

If the hubs are running a continues operation 24 hours why are these not FT jobs? I n my building the only 2 sorts that run back to back are midnight/preload. That is where the bulk of the Art 22.3 jobs are.

Island

If the hubs are running a continues operation 24 hours why are these not FT jobs? I n my building the only 2 sorts that run back to back are midnight/preload. That is where the bulk of the Art 22.3 jobs are.
Because the company is no longer creating combo jobs in our area and the local is letting that decision stand. No more combos, only new FT jobs are driving

Island

the company has no trouble hiring hundreds of part time employees. however there's a quite high turnover in our area probably because everyone is part time