Local 79 - Told I have to wait to join union.

Enjoi0523

Hey guys, the facility I work at is part of the Teamsters Local 79 Union. I started as a permanent preloader back in August 2015 before peak season. On my 30th day my belt supervisor told me I could join the Union if I wanted. I went up to our union steward and asked him for the paperwork. He said he had them in his car and that he would get back with me on it. Well, a week later not a single mention about the paperwork so I went to another union steward. She gave me the paperwork and I filled it out and gave it back to her. Well, the paperwork went back to the steward I originally asked and just found out last week that he never submitted it. I asked him about it and he told me I had to wait until I was at the six month mark. Everyone on my belt who is part of the union said it was bull crap and that I needed to seek assistance.... anyone know what I should do next?

Enjoi0523

Ok, thanks. And as a just in case, what should I do if the other union steward doesn't submit it again? Also, how do I find out if it does get submitted?

Inthegame

Hey guys, the facility I work at is part of the Teamsters Local 79 Union. I started as a permanent preloader back in August 2015 before peak season. On my 30th day my belt supervisor told me I could join the Union if I wanted. I went up to our union steward and asked him for the paperwork. He said he had them in his car and that he would get back with me on it. Well, a week later not a single mention about the paperwork so I went to another union steward. She gave me the paperwork and I filled it out and gave it back to her. Well, the paperwork went back to the steward I originally asked and just found out last week that he never submitted it. I asked him about it and he told me I had to wait until I was at the six month mark. Everyone on my belt who is part of the union said it was bull crap and that I needed to seek assistance.... anyone know what I should do next?
Call Local 79 at (813) 621-1391, and ask to speak to a UPS Business Representative. I'm guessing he or she would be very interested in knowing that stewards name.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Wash, rinse, repeat, and mail yourself a copy?

Call the union hall and talk to a business agent is the right answer.

I should have also told the OP to include a letter to the union stating why he is sending in his own copy and the issues that he was having with the first steward.

Why bother the union hall with something this trivial?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I should have also told the OP to include a letter to the union stating why he is sending in his own copy and the issues that he was having with the first steward.

Why bother the union hall with something this trivial?
It's not trivial.
The union hall and it's staff are there to serve us, with any valid concern, and this most certainly qualifies.

Where will this local be if potential members have to chase down entry?

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Local 79 has an excellent reputation in Florida. Call them. Ask for a business agent. They will get it taken care of. Ken Wood has a good reputation of being a good local president.

tennisdoctor

In my opinion the union has lost it's credibility over the last 5+ years. Know who has your back. There are a lot of members that won't stand up for what is right for fear of their jobs. United should be the word. Just saying....Beware

Inthegame

In my opinion the union has lost it's credibility over the last 5+ years. Know who has your back. There are a lot of members that won't stand up for what is right for fear of their jobs. United should be the word. Just saying....Beware
In my opinion, tennis players and doctors have lost credibility over the last 5+ years. There are a lot of players that won't play hard for fear of getting tennis elbow. Then the doctor won't call them back. Just saying...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my opinion, tennis players and doctors have lost credibility over the last 5+ years. There are a lot of players that won't play hard for fear of getting tennis elbow. Then the doctor won't call them back. Just saying...
I have recently read some stories where professional tennis has had a mafia presence and have had several matches that were fixed.
Perhaps this is a pretty fair analogy?

Last edited: