Local 804 Drivers Walked Out

kingOFchester

Things are bad in my bubble. Bonus is a union killer.

They need to get rid of bonus. Bonus encourages drivers not to follow the methods. Result, good numbers for management. Then those who follow the methods get harassed for not making the numbers. Unfortunately, runners out number methoders by a lot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By "starting early", do you mean that he was on the belt sorting his pkg car or did he actually change his start time and proceed to start his delivery route?

It is hard for me to say whether I support the walkout without knowing the general atmosphere and morale in the building.

I can say that a coordinated walkout like this would never happen in my building.

I watched the you tube and it sounded like they fired the driver for starting before his start time and that was dishonest. To me that means he was performing work before his start time, if I remember what the old timers said R Carey would chase drivers off the line before their start time and chew them out. If it is what it appears this guy pulls a walk out!

If this is true, remember this the next time a sup asks you to punch in early for CBTs, without you being scheduled on Thursday the week before!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
By "starting early", do you mean that he was on the belt sorting his pkg car or did he actually change his start time and proceed to start his delivery route?

It is hard for me to say whether I support the walkout without knowing the general atmosphere and morale in the building.

I can say that a coordinated walkout like this would never happen in my building.

As it wouldn't happen at my building either. A couple hundred drivers is a statement. My 22 drivers not so much. Wish we had this for the vote of the contract.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If this is true, remember this the next time a sup asks you to punch in early for CBTs, without you being scheduled on Thursday the week before!

Isn't it the stewards job to walk the belt and tell drivers to get out of their vehicles. To end such nonsense. UPS should have said something to union reps or mentioned in PCM 's? Not just fire away

Isn't it the stewards job to walk the belt and tell drivers to get out of their vehicles. To end such nonsense. UPS should have said something to union reps or mentioned in PCM 's? Not just fire away
It is the center manager job to enforce the prohibition on employees working off the clock. Violation of Federal Labor law.

upschuck

It is the center manager job to enforce the prohibition on employees working off the clock. Violation of Federal Labor law.
Evidently he did enforce this, a bit over the top, though. I assume that this was not the first time this driver had problems with the center manager, and he was looking for an excuse to walk him out.

QKRSTKR

No. It's the companies responsibility. It's in the master contract.

I agree his reaction was way over the top. Our center manager told the drivers during PCM progressive discipline would be used. Driver still show up early and sort their loads. He said all that to keep the Union happy.