Local 804 only question

Karma is a bitch

Be careful what you say
I have a co worker that was hurt right after he left the ups building. I was told that we are covered for 1 hour to and from work. Anyone know of this in local 804 ?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm in 804 and Dave is correct. Once you punch out and leave ups property.....you are not covered under comp. So, unless your friend was injured in the parking lot or something.....ups isn't liable.

bluehdmc

I have a question for 804, what was the criteria used to get paper towels back in the hubs. I used to go to Island City about 6yrs ago and they had no paper towels, just "dryers" in the bathrooms. Now they have paper towels, I remarked about it to someone and they said they won a grievance. I'd like to know what the grounds of the grievance were. If you would prefer to pm me that would be fine, Thanks.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a question for 804, what was the criteria used to get paper towels back in the hubs. I used to go to Island City about 6yrs ago and they had no paper towels, just "dryers" in the bathrooms. Now they have paper towels, I remarked about it to someone and they said they won a grievance. I'd like to know what the grounds of the grievance were. If you would prefer to pm me that would be fine, Thanks.
That sounds like something 804 would do....lol.
Honestly, I have no idea....I don't work in Island City. We've had paper towels in my building since I've been here. But now I'm curious, I will ask around.....lol

Dry hands.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

​Do you now want the "dryers" back?

bluehdmc

Dry hands.

DUH!!!

​Do you now want the "dryers" back?

NO, That's the problem, they used the excuse of "going green", in reality green$$$ (I'm in NJ in local 177). They put more of those high speed, can't talk to the person next to you dryers in and took the paper towel dispensers out. Although they still have them in the "management" men's room. (We use that one when your getting drug tested.) It's kinda tough to wipe off your face with an electric dryer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
DUH!!!

NO, That's the problem, they used the excuse of "going green", in reality green$$$ (I'm in NJ in local 177). They put more of those high speed, can't talk to the person next to you dryers in and took the paper towel dispensers out. Although they still have them in the "management" men's room. (We use that one when your getting drug tested.) It's kinda tough to wipe off your face with an electric dryer.
I'm all for "going green", but that's ridiculous. The sheer amount of paper management wastes everyday..preload report cards (yes we're 2nd graders), safety tip of the day, send again sheets, add/cuts, dok and hazmat saftey, warning letters, load diagrams....there are better ways to save a tree than taking away paper towels.

Last edited:

804brown

Maybe someone filed under "past practice".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you think the above grievance seems trivial what do you think of the steward from 705 who filed a grievance over vending machine prices.

The grievance process was put in place for labor issues and contract violations, not "paper towels" or "hot air" and certainly not for over-priced Ding Dongs.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you think the above grievance seems trivial what do you think of the steward from 705 who filed a grievance over vending machine prices.

The grievance process was put in place for labor issues and contract violations, not "paper towels" or "hot air" and certainly not for over-priced Ding Dongs.
Vending machine prices? lol wow. Our vending machines are broken more often than not....perhaps I should file? lol

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
They took out our paper towels too! I just bring a towel keep it in my locker. Hand dryers are ok for your hands but we all know this is a dirty job!!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

The "paper towels" was an issue in many buildings. I'm among the most green persons participating within these forums, but given the condition of the air dryers -- often smeared with traces of feces, and definitely not intentionally but rather a derivative of poor hygiene among my co-workers -- I prefer an option in which I may remain healthy so I am able to give my best effort to the company and be compensated accordingly. It's certainly a grievance with the company, thus the grievance process is seemingly appropriate, given the lack of other avenues at UPS. Abuse? I disagree, but in fairness, UPS also abuses/stretches the process as well.

Vending contracts are local -- in fact, many buildings in nearby locations may have different vendors, and many larger buildings operate their own vending machines. For many years, we had an activities committee that would plan & organize activities -- cook-outs, picnics, Holiday parties, etc. (both on & offsite) and the profits from the vending machines were our primary income source. Eventually, UPS disbanded the committee and moved the vending to an outside contractor, who guaranteed X dollars to the United Way. Unfortunately, people balked at higher prices and prices ballooned -- for example, a soda went from $1 (activities committee) to $3.50 (started at 1.50, but ballooned after no takes). We grieved to end the United Way contribution, which seemed appropriate.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The "paper towels" was an issue in many buildings. I'm among the most green persons participating within these forums, but given the condition of the air dryers -- often smeared with traces of feces, and definitely not intentionally but rather a derivative of poor hygiene among my co-workers -- I prefer an option in which I may remain healthy so I am able to give my best effort to the company and be compensated accordingly. It's certainly a grievance with the company, thus the grievance process is seemingly appropriate, given the lack of other avenues at UPS. Abuse? I disagree, but in fairness, UPS also abuses/stretches the process as well.

Vending contracts are local -- in fact, many buildings in nearby locations may have different vendors, and many larger buildings operate their own vending machines. For many years, we had an activities committee that would plan & organize activities -- cook-outs, picnics, Holiday parties, etc. (both on & offsite) and the profits from the vending machines were our primary income source. Eventually, UPS disbanded the committee and moved the vending to an outside contractor, who guaranteed X dollars to the United Way. Unfortunately, people balked at higher prices and prices ballooned -- for example, a soda went from $1 (activities committee) to $3.50 (started at 1.50, but ballooned after no takes). We grieved to end the United Way contribution, which seemed appropriate.
What's next....UPS bidets to eliminate toilet paper?? Brown's going green!!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
In L705 it was filed under 'Maintenance of Standards', within the time limits; & won at Panel. So 1 barn in their jurisdiction has paper towels and dryers. Ahh, how luxurious!