Local 89 fighting back

kingOFchester

3.01% is the average rate of inflation. So I would not call 3% extreme. That is the average. With this new contract, our mean raise rate is roughly 2.30%. This isn't even calculating the split raise the last 2 years. That would lower the rate from 2.3%. Our raises, to keep up with the average inflation rate should be:

Based on a base of 2080 hours yearly this is how our raises would look like if the raises were inline with the historical average rate of inflation:
Year 1 $69,347
Year 2 $71,427
Year 3 $73,569
Year 4 $75,774
Year 5 $78,062
TOTAL $368,179

Based on a base of 2080 hours yearly this is how our raises will look:
Year 1 $68,764
Year 2 $70,220
Year 3 $71,676
Year 4 $36,306 + $36,774 = $73,080
Year 5 $37,242 + $37,710 = $74,952
TOTAL: $358,692

$9,487 a 2.64% difference.

I am not willing to say my buying power should be less in the future for the amount of work I do. Our work load will most likely go up. Allow my salary to at the very least rise at the average rate of inflation. Anything less then the average inflation rate would be the same as saying "we are overpaid". So which is it? Have we been overpaid? Yes, or no?

kingOFchester

I would agree with the above but your not only receiving a wage. You didn't factor in your $5 for H&W and pension.

Will be first to admit that I do not know the details of the H&W and pension breakdown. I also do not know how much they have increased over the years. Do you have any hard numbers, then I could add them into my calculations? Perhaps, once added, it would take our income raise over the 3% I am looking for.

Thanks.

Inthegame

Stink, What I have an issue with is the fact that Hoffa/Hall and the majority of the Teamsters believe that we have been overpaid for the work we do.
Absolutely no basis in fact in this statement. Hall specifically stated at the IBT Convention the mantra refering to the upcoming UPS contract..."the more they make, the more we take".
Will be first to admit that I do not know the details of the H&W and pension breakdown. I also do not know how much they have increased over the years. Do you have any hard numbers, then I could add them into my calculations? Perhaps, once added, it would take our income raise over the 3% I am looking for.

Thanks.
In the '08-'13 agreement we have received on average $40 per week increase to H&W and Pension, which again averages an additional $1.00 per hour. This $40 per year is present in the '13-'18 TA. That needs to be in your calculation. I used the term average as some areas have gotten much more than this number specifically the MOB arrangements out west and L804's pension allocation. One could accurately argue those deals disproportionately cut the pie slimmer for the rest of us.

kingOFchester

Absolutely no basis in fact in this statement. Hall specifically stated at the IBT Convention the mantra refering to the upcoming UPS contract..."the more they make, the more we take".

I stand behind that statement until I have been given solid numbers for any and all other financial contributions for the last few contracts including the new contract.

As far as Hall saying "the more they make, the more we take".....HAHAHAHAH Nothing more then a catchy phrase that we hear from politicians everyday. George H. W. Bush once said "Read my lips......"

Oh wait, Hall was right when he said "the more they make, the more we take"........he did take.....MY HEALTHCARE. But that is not the issue as I have conceded.

Inthegame

I stand behind that statement until I have been given solid numbers for any and all other financial contributions for the last few contracts including the new contract.
What in the wide world of sports are you talking about? You think UPS is secretly funneling money to Hall? He's the last guy they want to face, regardless of the fantasy world too many live in on BC.

kingOFchester

What in the wide world of sports are you talking about? You think UPS is secretly funneling money to Hall? He's the last guy they want to face, regardless of the fantasy world too many live in on BC.

Dude, put down what ever you are drinking or smoking. Try and follow what I am about to say.

What I am saying, AND SAID PREVIOUSLY, that my calculations were purely done using our hourly rate. What I did not use in determining the 2.30% increase is the other $'s UPS pays into H&W and Pension and god know what else. I am asking you, Stink or anyone who has the figures to please supply them so I can add that into my calculations. It very well could prove that we are indeed getting a raise higher then 3% once you calculate those contributions into our wages. Clear? If so, do you have those numbers? How much does UPS pay into out H&W? LAst contract? Next contract? How much does UPS pay into our pension? Last contract? Next contract?

How you got "secretly funneling money to Hall" is beyond me.

Inthegame

Dude, put down what ever you are drinking or smoking. Try and follow what I am about to say.

What I am saying, AND SAID PREVIOUSLY, that my calculations were purely done using our hourly rate. What I did not use in determining the 2.30% increase is the other $'s UPS pays into H&W and Pension and god know what else. I am asking you, Stink or anyone who has the figures to please supply them so I can add that into my calculations. It very well could prove that we are indeed getting a raise higher then 3% once you calculate those contributions into our wages. Clear? If so, do you have those numbers? How much does UPS pay into out H&W? LAst contract? Next contract? How much does UPS pay into our pension? Last contract? Next contract?

How you got "secretly funneling money to Hall" is beyond me.
You're a live one today, stay away from fireworks. I think if you spend a little more time researching and a little less time slamming you might be relevant. Read your contract. The H&W and Pension numbers are generally listed, however they vary so I can't tell you exactly what your rates are. But before you drag out your book of insults I'll try this. The contract I'm under TODAY has H&W and Pension costs of just under $700 per week. Locals out west H&W is higher. The present costs of UPS H&W and Pension is nearly $20 per hour per FT employee. Happy 4th, I'm cutting the grass...

kingOFchester

Have you ever met and talked to Ken H? How can you make such a ridiculous charge when you don't even know the man.

I pay my house keeper $85.00 a week to come in for 4 hours. If after 5 years, I still pay her $85.00 a week, I am sending her a message that she was over paid for the last 5 years. If I feel as tho she is been paid fairly, I would give her raises that are inline with inflation. Pretty simple concept. By giving us raises that is LESS then the rate of inflation, you are giving me less buying power. My paycheck at the end of the week is not going to buy the same it did 5 years ago. If I don't raise the rent on my rentals, then i am sending a message to my tenants that they have been over paying all these years. My rent goes up, as does my cost. My wages should go up as UPS shipping costs go up.

kingOFchester

You're a live one today, stay away from fireworks. I think if you spend a little more time researching and a little less time slamming you might be relevant. Read your contract. The H&W and Pension numbers are generally listed, however they vary so I can't tell you exactly what your rates are. But before you drag out your book of insults I'll try this. The contract I'm under TODAY has H&W and Pension costs of just under $700 per week. Locals out west H&W is higher. The present costs of UPS H&W and Pension is nearly $20 per hour per FT employee. Happy 4th, I'm cutting the grass...

Well thanks for the numbers. So lets add that into my calculations. Lets use your "lower number" of $700 a week. Lets also use your increase of $40.00 a week. That comes to an increase of 5.79%.......over 5 years. That comes to about a mean increase of 1.15% a year over the course of 5 years.

So we have established, based on your numbers, that we are getting an additional 1.15% annual increase towards H&W and pension.
We have also established that our hourly wage will go up 2.30% annually.

That means, using the two percentages calculated, that our TOTAL increase in pay (including H&W) is only going up by ONLY 1.725% annually. Worse then I had first calculated and FAR below the average rate of inflation. Almost half of the average rate of inflation.
I am using your numbers. If I left anything out, or if anyone wants to add other figures, please let me know.

I do not feel as though a 1.725% annual increase in total compensation is what we deserve. This is below inflation. Bottom line, we are being compensated less with this new contract being that it does not keep up with inflation.

Last edited:
I pay my house keeper $85.00 a week to come in for 4 hours. If after 5 years, I still pay her $85.00 a week, I am sending her a message that she was over paid for the last 5 years. If I feel as tho she is been paid fairly, I would give her raises that are inline with inflation. Pretty simple concept. By giving us raises that is LESS then the rate of inflation, you are giving me less buying power. My paycheck at the end of the week is not going to buy the same it did 5 years ago. If I don't raise the rent on my rentals, then i am sending a message to my tenants that they have been over paying all these years. My rent goes up, as does my cost. My wages should go up as UPS shipping costs go up.
We arnt making enough money if we can't afford a butler with that housekeeper.

stink219

As far as Hall saying "the more they make, the more we take".....HAHAHAHAH Nothing more then a catchy phrase that we hear from politicians everyday. George H. W. Bush once said "Read my lips......"

Oh wait, Hall was right when he said "the more they make, the more we take"........he did take.....MY HEALTHCARE. But that is not the issue as I have conceded.
Right now, we are at $17.62 per hour for H&W and pension for the first 40 hours. It will increase $1 per hour per year. So from 17.62 to 22.62.

kingOFchester

Right now, we are at $17.62 per hour for H&W and pension for the first 40 hours. It will increase $1 per hour per year. So from 17.62 to 22.62.

That comes to a total of 3.62% increase in total annual compensation. That I can live with. I do not remember seeing those numbers.

Thanks Stink.

Perhaps the IBT should use math to sell the contract that they negotiated. Be a little more vocal. Enough of the no news.

kingOFchester

Any time. Only the increase was in the TA. The current rate was not.

Yes, I was just re-reading the TA that I printed and saw it, but as you just stated it does not give a dollar amount of current. I will take your word. Still not happy about my healthcare and some small issues within my supplement, that I think will be addressed.