Local 89 News Story

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Say this today on local 89 facebook page. Says alot.

WDRB Video - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

And borrowed this off of their facebook page also.

27 Reasons "STINK" says to vote NO on the TA

Part-Time Health Care
• Your Health Care coverage will change
• You will have a new insurance provider (Teamcare)
• You may be required to change doctors
• Your benefits will be reduced
• Your out of pocket costs will increase
• If insurance costs increase your wages will be reallocated to pay for increases
• You will NOT be given ...a complete plan description before you vote on this contract

Part-Time Employees
• You will NOT be allowed to have a cell phone inside the property
• You will not have any opportunities for advancement and will be part time forever
• You will continue to receive poverty wages
• You will be subjected to having your work hours and jobs changed at any time
• You will continue to get only one 10 minutes break for up to 8 hours worked

Full-Time Employees
• The company will only agree to create 50 full time jobs by July 31, 2018 with a potential four-year wage freeze
• You will not receive “catch up” raises to bring you up to top rate
• Current Full-Time employees will be stuck on nights, split shifts and other undesirable jobs.
• You will have your bid schedules changed and lose your seniority rights.
• Full-Time insurance benefits will continue to be less than Part-Time employee insurance benefits

Shuttle
• You will be forced to continue to ride the shuttle without pay.
• No urgency to get you off the property
• You have NO recourse or protection for crowded or unsanitary conditions
• You will have to continue to wait in long lines to get on the shuttle.

“Six Hour” Jobs
• You will not have a 30 hour weekly guarantee
• You will not receive the 5 hour vacation premium which part time or full time employees receive
• You will lose your guaranteed 6 hours overtime pay on your 6th day worked

Subcontracting
• You will continue to lose jobs due to subcontracting
• You will be deprived of overtime because of subcontracting
• You will have less full time job opportunities because of subcontracting

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Out of sheer curiosity, do you know how much healthcare has increased on average the last 10 years? I ask because there are economic realities that you may be unaware of and as a back up steward, I'd rather you make an educated vote based on facts rather than emotion or mob mentality. I don't want to sway you one way or the other. I personally voted no because of the lack of healthcare information. But the economics are not on our side. Healthcare has increased 7% every year. It's just a reality. Things get expensive. You can't blame the company for the cost of milk, gas, and ass. Healthcare goes up as well. Can UPS afford to cover it...yes and no. Yes they can monetarily cover it. But they would pay a huge price in the stock market. Investors would dump the stock like it was going out of style. And that would have people out of a job. I don't like it...but I have to live with this reality.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Out of sheer curiosity, do you know how much healthcare has increased on average the last 10 years? I ask because there are economic realities that you may be unaware of and as a back up steward, I'd rather you make an educated vote based on facts rather than emotion or mob mentality. I don't want to sway you one way or the other. I personally voted no because of the lack of healthcare information. But the economics are not on our side. Healthcare has increased 7% every year. It's just a reality. Things get expensive. You can't blame the company for the cost of milk, gas, and ass. Healthcare goes up as well. Can UPS afford to cover it...yes and no. Yes they can monetarily cover it. But they would pay a huge price in the stock market. Investors would dump the stock like it was going out of style. And that would have people out of a job. I don't like it...but I have to live with this reality.

Why do you guys concern yourself with UPS costs? If they have 25 million to give to Ferrari in March, why do you worry about their cash position? I bet you dont even watch F1 racing, and I doubt 1% of this country does, yet, UPS took 25 million dollars and spent it on FERRARI to put a sticker on the fuel pod.

UPS wastes tons of money on useless aquisitions. It just built a major hub in china. How much did that cost?

UPS Completes Shenzhen, China Worldport Hub - Shipping Sidekick

Millions of dollars spent on dumb investments and you want to concern yourself with rising health care costs?

Please.

TOS

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Your post is has a couple of flaws.
1st-UPS profits have increased over the last 10 years too.
2nd-Did every teamster suffer a health care plan downgrade? Did you?

sortaisle

I can't say whether or not I've suffered a downgrade since we in the West have to look for differing coverage. So I can't honestly say yes or no, but my gut tells me yes, I'll have to pay more out of pocket. As for the other flaw, UPS having their profits go up over the course of 10 years seems like it should make a difference, but it doesn't. In order for UPS to sell that stock, they have to make a profit. The raises in the pension and the fact that UPS has to cover our healthcare with no premiums out of pocket is essentially a 7% raise above and beyond the negotiated raises. I'm not saying UPS isn't greedy, they can be...but in the overall scheme of things, they are not as bad as other companies. There's give and take. I wish there was more transparency with the economics on both sides.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I can't say whether or not I've suffered a downgrade since we in the West have to look for differing coverage. So I can't honestly say yes or no, but my gut tells me yes, I'll have to pay more out of pocket.

This is an interesting sentence. In the begining, you say you cant tell if you have suffered a downgrade, then add, you dont know if yes or no, but then end it with:

"ILL HAVE TO PAY MORE OUT OF POCKET"

So let me understand what your trying to say. First, right now, you pay NOTHING out of pocket. 5 bucks for prescriptions. 100 bucks for the ER . And 10 buck copays.

Now your looking at either 1000 or 2000 a year out of pocket for medical if you go to the hospital, plus 10% or 50 bucks per prescription.

And you want us to believe that you cannot determine if you suffered a DOWNGRADE?

Really?

Brother, if you cant figure that one out, then really, maybe you shouldnt vote at all.

Peace

TOS

rpoz11

Sortaisle

Listen to TOS

Then listen to me :
Go and read what's been presented.
Now,
Go ahead and ask your stewards, then your BA's.
Come back here and RE-READ what TOS is trying to get you to comprehend.

Then....
Start defining the language presented.
It takes work; which most of us have little extra time to devote to all of this.

Sortaisle :
The Vote you make belongs to you.
PLEASE make sure you educate yourself before you make your selections.

RealPerson

Umm, Doesn't matter. We can get better Rates if we were all in the same Plan. and Record Profits.

Oh Obama said things would get CHEAPER///

UPS Preloader

UPS employees to decide on company strike | WHAS11.com Louisville

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Some UPS workers claim they're being bullied and harassed by managers to vote yes for a new union contract. They have 12 days left.

UPS workers are upset and have alarming words for what they say is taking place at UPS Worldport in Louisville, the largest employer in Kentucky.

Stephen Piercey, UPS worker, said: "I've never seen the kind of underhanded, despicable actions they've committed in the last couple weeks."

An anonymous UPS worker said: "Everything that's been going on at work. There's been a whole lot of tension in the area with management talking to everybody."

Piercey and an unnamed UPS worker tell me they're feeling unfair pressure to vote yes on a proposed contract.

There's a looming June 22 deadline by mail that impacts 8,800 part-time and full-time employees.

"It's gotten really ugly," UPS worker, Chasity Tooley said.

WHAS 11 obtained a copy of a letter written by the UPS Vice President of Louisville Air and Freight Operations. It was sent to Metropolitan College parents, urging their children to vote in favor of the ratification.

"We are advocating for the contract. Are we pressuring anyone? No. We are simply informing them of the contract so they can make an informed decision," UPS spokesman, Mike Mangeot said.

According to UPS, wages for part-time workers will jump up to $1.50 per year and full-time employees to $1.00. It also includes a $1,000 Worldport shuttle incentive payable to all workers.

No health insurance premiums have to be paid and out-of-pocket expenses will be capped at $1,000 per person. But Teamsters Local 89 says it's not a good deal.

Fred Z, Teamsters Local 89 President, says not even Louisville employees at Ford felt this type of pressure when the UAW Local 862 passed their ratification by a 53% vote in October 2011.

"It's pretty sleazy tactics is what they're doing. The members are very smart. The treat them like they're stupid," he said.

There has to be a simple majority vote to pass, meaning at least 51%.

Could there be a strike? No official word yet from union leaders but according to their current contract, a picket line can't happen until after July 1, 2013 - if at all.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
L89, the West and 177 which voted yes in 2007, this time around will vote it down. The 11,000 to 12,000 vote difference to tilt the election will come from these three.

Here is some facts. Not emotion. If you are over weight you can't get a knee replacement if you are in teamcare. Do you know what a over weight American is in body fat %.? Not much. Example, if you are a 59 year old man that is 5-10 and 195 pounds. That puts you on a average of 23% body fat. Which puts you over weight. Next if god forbid someone that is under your coverage gets cancer. The going rate for chemo is $20,000 a month. If in teamcare you will have to pay 10%($2000 a month) Of that. There is much more info. If you have any questions about this info just call the 800 # for teamcare enhanced plan.

We are going to regret if this contract passes.

You say everyone pays healthcare . That's just the way it is. Well, not getting coverage on somethings is the new thing. SO THAT'S JUST THE WAY THAT IS. Or we can put a stop to it and vote no.

UPS Preloader

Here is some facts. Not emotion. If you are over weight you can't get a knee replacement if you are in teamcare. Do you know what a over weight American is in body fat %.? Not much. Example, if you are a 59 year old man that is 5-10 and 195 pounds. That puts you on a average of 23% body fat. Which puts you over weight. Next if god forbid someone that is under your coverage gets cancer. The going rate for chemo is $20,000 a month. If in teamcare you will have to pay 10%($2000 a month) Of that. There is much more info. If you have any questions about this info just call the 800 # for teamcare enhanced plan.

We are going to regret if this contract passes.

You say everyone pays healthcare . That's just the way it is. Well, not getting coverage on somethings is the new thing. SO THAT'S JUST THE WAY THAT IS. Or we can put a stop to it and vote no.

I'm all for voting NO, but your comments seem like a lot of BS. Please post the document or the link to the document that backs up your claim. I realize that your out of pocket costs can be higher, but it's my understanding that for most the Out Of Pocket Limit will be $1,000 not including prescriptions. Also, where does it state that an overweight person can't get a knee replacement.

I'm all for voting NO, but your comments seem like a lot of BS. Please post the document or the link to the document that backs up your claim. I realize that your out of pocket costs can be higher, but it's my understanding that for most the Out Of Pocket Limit will be $1,000 not including prescriptions. Also, where does it state that an overweight person can't get a knee replacement.
Do you have that in writing. CALL THE # they will answer what IBT or UPS will not.

I can't give you the answers because I don't have them in front of me. The knee issue is what I got on the phone. The chemo was what someone that BA talked to that is on this plan. He also told me about the knee. So i called. You say you want documents. I'm looking, but they are so hard to find because they don't want us to know until its to late.

sortaisle

This is an interesting sentence. In the begining, you say you cant tell if you have suffered a downgrade, then add, you dont know if yes or no, but then end it with:

"ILL HAVE TO PAY MORE OUT OF POCKET"

So let me understand what your trying to say. First, right now, you pay NOTHING out of pocket. 5 bucks for prescriptions. 100 bucks for the ER . And 10 buck copays.

Now your looking at either 1000 or 2000 a year out of pocket for medical if you go to the hospital, plus 10% or 50 bucks per prescription.

And you want us to believe that you cannot determine if you suffered a DOWNGRADE?

Really?

Brother, if you cant figure that one out, then really, maybe you shouldnt vote at all.

Peace

TOS
Unless you can provide information on what kind of coverage the West is getting which I can't seem to find since they have until November 1st to find it, how can you honestly throw numbers out that don't exist? You seem to think the way to sway me to your way of thinking is by first pointing out my "flawed" thinking and second throwing out numbers that don't matter to you or I since we don't even know what coverage we're actually getting. You're obviously very intelligent and I have no issue whatsoever with your position but please use facts to sway me since my thinking is perfectly sound. I live in a world where my company has decided to live and die by the stock market. UPS can spend money on " stupid" purchases all they want. It seems UPS is doing fine with their purchases. I can't honestly say if my coverage is going to be better or worse since we don't know what the actual coverage is yet so I can't say yay or nay honestly on changes. And my gut feeling tells me I'll have to pay more out of pocket because healthcare costs have increased 2 to 3 times more than inflation on average the last 10 years. Where is the logic flawed? Like I've said...I voted no because there's not enough information for me to vote yes on this as far as insurance goes. If we wind up with the minimum coverage offered by the Central States Enhanced C6 plan (which still doesn't exist yet, so where people are pulling the info from baffles me,) then I'll read up on it and make a decision then. Until I know what I'm getting, it's a no vote. I'm not rah rahing UPS...although they do well business wise...there's just economic realities that exist that needs to be taken into consideration. To not consider it seems to be greedy to me.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
UPS ONLY gives 10% of stock to the public. So, 90% is owned by the employees. Hardly enough to sway the stock price in any direction if the public decides they want to dump their shares.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I've spoken with a few of my friends from Local 177. Everyone I've talked to says they voted no. They also say the feeling around the hub is a big fat NO. It WILL get voted down from Local 177!