Local accident

Hangingon

This happened this morning. Glad no one was hurt seriously, but I had alot of questions from customers all day since the traffic station kept emphasizing it was a UPS tandem trailer that snarled traffic this morning.

tieguy

Banned
Yep. I might. :happy-very:

sixty year old man ran a red light at the intersection hit our tractor between the passenger side fuel tank and tractor drive wheel going at a pretty good speed. Knocked the fuel tank loose thus the diesel spill.

The picture you see is our equipment laying on its side after it did a 180.
tractor ended up approximately 25 feet short of the fuel pumps at that gas station.

Our driver is fine. Kicked the windshield out and climbed out of the tractor.

Other driver had some cuts. Treated and released at the hospital. The other driver is lucky. Anytime you run into a tractor trailer like he did you run the risk of getting sucked under the drive wheels and having not only the drive wheels but a set of doubles run over top of you. There is a nice 8 foot long gouge in the pavement at the impact point. Think about the force required to make an 8 foot gouge in concrete.

Information on Hazardous materials was an over reaction by the local police. Our driver was not carrying any Haz mats. No haz mats detected at the scene with the exception of the disel fuel that spilled. State police did a DOT inspection at the site and gave us a clean report.

This accident could have been a lot more serious then it was. thank god no one was seriously hurt or killed. Total losses and claims, specialized towing , hazmat clean up of the diesel and fuel, totaled tractors and trailers. Damaged dolly and trailer and loss of business claims from those businesses shut down will probably total close to 200 grand.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Wow, it adds up when something like this happens.

Lots of people dont think about the tractor and trailers being totaled once they are on their side, but they do get a lot of damage that does not show.

Glad no one was hurt bad, It could have been worse. Had the tractor hit the gas pumps..........

d

TheDick

Yep. I might. :happy-very:

sixty year old man ran a red light at the intersection hit our tractor between the passenger side fuel tank and tractor drive wheel going at a pretty good speed. Knocked the fuel tank loose thus the diesel spill.

The picture you see is our equipment laying on its side after it did a 180.
tractor ended up approximately 25 feet short of the fuel pumps at that gas station.

Our driver is fine. Kicked the windshield out and climbed out of the tractor.

Other driver had some cuts. Treated and released at the hospital. The other driver is lucky. Anytime you run into a tractor trailer like he did you run the risk of getting sucked under the drive wheels and having not only the drive wheels but a set of doubles run over top of you. There is a nice 8 foot long gouge in the pavement at the impact point. Think about the force required to make an 8 foot gouge in concrete.

Information on Hazardous materials was an over reaction by the local police. Our driver was not carrying any Haz mats. No haz mats detected at the scene with the exception of the disel fuel that spilled. State police did a DOT inspection at the site and gave us a clean report.

This accident could have been a lot more serious then it was. thank god no one was seriously hurt or killed. Total losses and claims, specialized towing , hazmat clean up of the diesel and fuel, totaled tractors and trailers. Damaged dolly and trailer and loss of business claims from those businesses shut down will probably total close to 200 grand.

So i'm thinkin UPS is gonna send pretty fat bill to this guys insurance assuming he has any?

bigbrownhen

I was wondering the same thing. How sad is that. I know its all part of the business, name of the game and all that, but seriously it gets old. Have to wonder if the powers that be were in the drivers shoes, would they still think it was avoidable.
Most important, both drivers are ok, thank goodness. The rest will be what it is.

iowa boy

He`ll be tagged for not clearing the intersection,especially since he was hit so close to the front.

Which in my mind is just asinine, he could have been in the process of clearing, (looked left, right and looking left again to clear visually) and got hit on the passenger side but yet its still his fault. Plain ass stupid if you aske me

M

Mike23

I think it's likely to be 'avoidable accident' tagged with 'not drivers fault'. I had one of those, not being in my vehicle, infront of a dock (don't back unless you have to!) WITH four ways on and I was backed into.

It was considered 'avoidable' because I wasn't properly docked and but not my fault. I'm curious about which rules over ride which rules because obviously 'Don't back' seems to be down on the charts when the blame game is passed around.

Not sure yet. this one sounds iffy.

I`m not saying I`m not on the guys side or thats how I would see it if I were mgmt. But we have had similar accidents,not as severe,with drivers hit by cars running red lights and every one of them was tagged avoidable saying that the driver did not clear the intersection. One driver was hit at the very back edge of his back box by a drunk who jumped a parking lot sidewalk into the intersection. The decision,should have used his horn to alert the drunk and looked L,R,L to clear the intersection. It`s the only way they think now.
The only way to guarantee you won`t be charged with an accident is if the person who hits you dies. Then the company doesn`t want to open itself to the possibility of liability and says it was unavoidable.

tieguy

Banned
I`m not saying I`m not on the guys side or thats how I would see it if I were mgmt. But we have had similar accidents,not as severe,with drivers hit by cars running red lights and every one of them was tagged avoidable saying that the driver did not clear the intersection. One driver was hit at the very back edge of his back box by a drunk who jumped a parking lot sidewalk into the intersection. The decision,should have used his horn to alert the drunk and looked L,R,L to clear the intersection. It`s the only way they think now.
The only way to guarantee you won`t be charged with an accident is if the person who hits you dies. Then the company doesn`t want to open itself to the possibility of liability and says it was unavoidable.

there is a lot involved in the avoidability issue. Accidents automatically get recorded as avoidable. Your boss then has to make a convincing case that it is unavoidable to get it changed. If you are hit in the side and you never saw the car coming and never blew the horn then chances are you will be charged with an avoidable. If you saw the car and and sounded your horn and you were still hit in the side or rear while crossing the intersection then you have a good chance of getting the accident recorded as unavoidable.

With intersection accidents you can often make a credible argument that there is no way you could stop a set of hundred percent doubles in time to avoid the accident. But if you did not do everything reasonable to avoid the accident by clearing the intersection and sounding the horn then you will be charged.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
IT also depends on what else was in the intersection at the same time.

Had one a few years ago where the driver had the light turn green, looked LRL to clear what was coming and what had stopped. To his right were two big rigs with doubles, they had stopped.

He went into the intersection, and a car that had been hidden by the other traffic hit our car in the side.

There was no way that our driver could have seen the other car, the other car was traveling so fast, that our driver had no time to react.

While it was recorded as avoidable, it was later changed to unavoidable.

I still think that the safety committee, especially the Union Cochair needs to be involved in that process. I believe that it might be a bit more even handed in deciding.

d