Local grievance hearings

It's an attempt to solve the issue(grievance) at the local level. If it can't be solved here then off too the panel. Whatever happens at panel is anyone's guess. Panel is a crap shoot. At least it is in my neck of the woods.

C

chuchu

Are these local hearings just an attempt for the company to talk you out of your greivance?
You filed the grievance. Do you think they're coming to your party willingly? You "reduced it to writing" because they wanted to fight you on the issue in the first place. If you're filing a grievance against a management person/team for a contract violation hopefully you've done your homework. They'll lie about and twist the details to keep from a settlement in your favor. When they're wrong it's a black mark on their record when they fail to settle the issue before any hearing. The Labor Dept will NOT be amused to have to come over there to sit through an obvious mistake that should not have gone on paper to begin with. Take heart and stand strong because we are all in this together.

dillweed

Awhile back we had an issue where no local panel happened. The union steward and center manager got together and decided who got what. No hourlie was invited to this. Some people with highest seniority were paid only half; the steward and center manager decided to split the money between all those who filed on the same issue.

Some folks not too happy with this. It was done behind closed doors and the contract was not followed. Wonder what can be done about this. Contract isn't up and it seems these two renegotiated the thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think that in lieu of a local panel convening the BA should have been involved in this meeting. It is hard to offer an opinion without all of the facts but it sounds as though the steward and center manager did what they thought was the most fair to all involved.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Write a letter to your local with the particulars. If no results, then up the food chain to state council. Then, to IBT. Only then, can you call the NLRB, if you have to.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The contract does allow for Stewards to settle grievances with management. In our local I settle probably 90% of the grievances. It is usually far better for the grievant for the Steward to take care of these before they get to a panel and have a group of people that have no idea of the situation or the people involved decide there fate.

The Steward should however take the wishes of the grievant into account, and if the grievant wants to be present should be allowed.

packageguy

It's an attempt to solve the issue(grievance) at the local level. If it can't be solved here then off too the panel. Whatever happens at panel is anyone's guess. Panel is a crap shoot. At least it is in my neck of the woods.

What's funny, I keep hearing it's a gray area, Well than next contract put it in black and white.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's funny, I keep hearing it's a gray area, Well than next contract put it in black and white.

The mechanism for the panel itself is in the contract. What happens at the panel cannot be reduced to black and white as each case presented to the panel has its own circumstances--the nature of the grievance/offense, the work history of the employee in question and any supporting material presented which the panel members use when reaching their decision.

dillweed

I don't see any gray area in the supplement regarding supervisors doing hourlie work. High seniority person in the work area gets the money. Is it fair? It's a union shop and seniority prevails. Someday the rest of us will have the right to claim the money.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would write a letter to the local prez as this practice can lead to problems. At our center, we go down the list so everyone gets a piece of the action. Leads to team building and morale boosting.

nate4027

My grievance was a supergiants working in order to supplement production numbers. How many black marks does it take before something is done about it?

C

chuchu

My grievance was a supergiants working in order to supplement production numbers. How many black marks does it take before something is done about it?
We filed on sups doing hourly work and settled for time and one-half instead of going to the panel for double time. Two drivers got paid $1080.00 each for two sups driving routes and other filings paid $300 for an occurrance, on and on. They got the message on visable abuses but you've got to go to decap and under the sort isle 30 min prior to driver start time to catch more fish. Easy money? Sure, but watch your back and dispatch after that. They are sore losers. They never learn the first time so dig in and whistle all the way to the bank! (If they lose the "fear factor" it rattles them.)

LagunaBrown

Awhile back we had an issue where no local panel happened. The union steward and center manager got together and decided who got what. No hourlie was invited to this. Some people with highest seniority were paid only half; the steward and center manager decided to split the money between all those who filed on the same issue.

Some folks not too happy with this. It was done behind closed doors and the contract was not followed. Wonder what can be done about this. Contract isn't up and it seems these two renegotiated the thing.

Just as grgcr88 said in an earlier post but I wanted to add that you can write what you want for a resolution at the bottom of the grievance when you file it as well.