lol I will never be fast enough at preload.

NI3

Only been doing it for a week and I'm already getting told:

The load has to be in exact order, mis-loading is absolutely not allowed, label needs to face the proper way and you're too slow.

By the way, we're short staffed and we don't want to give you the entire sunrise shift. You've 3 hours and you're way too slow. You don't get things done standing around. We expect new hires to produce not less than 175 pph and ramp up to 200+ pph in a short order.

looking around, all other preloaders have HUGE stacks of items.

The PT supe and I are basically splitting the work.. and even though we have almost no piles, he's crying we're critically behind.

This is gonna be great work out.

Neat, no misload and fast. Ain't satisfactory unless all three met.

It looks to me I will never be fast enough no matter what I do :o
Even if I'm as fast as the guys that's been there for 3 years on day one, it seems that I'll never be fast enough.

While I understand sitting around and texting, chatting and doin' nothin are unacceptable.

I suppose they'll just keep telling me how I'm not making enough production going forward :\

I also got sent around all over the place to "help out" and I got chewed out by the driver for someone else's messy load. He was literally like "y 'da phkk is 5000 HIN in 8000, blah blah blah blah blah blah"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
you'll never be fast enough, you will always have too many misloads, but most importantly stacking is the worst thing you can do to yourself as a preloader. boxes either go in the truck or go back around the cages or top of belt (unless they're irregulars, or rdr/l bulk stops that cant be contained, etc) just a few tips, preloaded 6 of 11 years.

Indecisi0n

Load the truck faster than everyone else and you will be rewarded with more work, congrats!! Work fast but at a safe pace.

diadman

I'm a 26 year driver the best thing you can do is follow safe work methods and keep your drivers happy with your loads .

Drivers have great respect for good pre loader's and will defend them.

Keep the faith brother

rod

Retired 22 years

The load has to be in exact order, mis-loading is absolutely not allowed, label needs to face the proper way and you're too slow.

By the way, we're short staffed and we don't want to give you the entire sunrise shift. You've 3 hours and you're way too slow. You don't get things done standing around. We expect new hires to produce not less than 175 pph and ramp up to 200+ pph in a short order.

The PT supe and I are basically splitting the work.. and even though we have almost no piles, he's crying we're critically behind.

Even if I'm as fast as the guys that's been there for 3 years on day one, it seems that I'll never be fast enough.

While I understand sitting around and texting, chatting and doin' nothin are unacceptable.

I suppose they'll just keep telling me how I'm not making enough production going forward :\

I also got sent around all over the place to "help out" and I got chewed out by the driver for someone else's messy load. He was literally like "y 'da phkk is 5000 HIN in 8000, blah blah blah blah blah blah"

You are wise beond your years Grasshopper. Work safe

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
they're going to give you **** no matter what you do

focus on load quality, then speed, misloads are not a factor you can directly influence, so at least make your drivers happy and do what's right for the long-term strength of the company

klolx

I said that to myself too when I started. Now, I am the God of preload.

Btw, don't mind about the drivers. My drivers are always like that to me every single day and I just got used to it. One of my drivers is a female and everyday she comes to see her car, she's always like "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYY GOSSHSSSSHSHSH!!!!!"

hahaha me and the other preloaders just make fun of it LOL

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I said that to myself too when I started. Now, I am the God of preload.

Being god at work, would seem like a plus. But it only harbors bad tides. As I say, "its not easy being a god".

To the OP, listen, if they cant keep people around, then.. you're doing a hell of a job just being there. Try to perfect what you are doing, it will take time, but dont try to show up anyone. Try to do the job at an average pace you can manage. Work safe, as some of the old timers say here, and try to be worth some value. That is all, dont push it up and above all others, or else you risk becoming a god, which is more of a burden and risk to your employment then all else. UPS loses more hard workers then anything else.

fethrs

I preloaded for 7 years, I sucked pace-wise but my loads were good and my drivers LOVED me. Was so glad to get out of preload tho.
Just go with the flow as best you can and don't take anything personal. The pt sups are under fire from upper mgt and it's all about the numbers.
Most sups are ok but there are some sadistic ones out there, those are the guys that make work a drag. I've had a couple and they usually don't last long, they get moved around a lot because of complaints from co-workers.

UPSGUY72

Don't worry about it they tell everyone they need to go faster. I let it go in one ear and out the other....

NI3

Am I the only one not really seeing much training value in getting instructed by PT Spvsr to just have them do the work and just watch?

I don't know why they can't just have one of the better loaders or supervisors volunteer to be filmed, add captioning and show that video to trainees and address as much questions as possible during that time.

The training manual methods went ok when there is space where things are supposed to go, but in real experience, I got flooded with RDL and bulk stop 7s and 8s that get in my way which in turn prevents me from being able to get to anything near the cab. I just had to stand around for a bit and think WTF..? So load has to be perfect. I can't just toss them in mindlessly yet I haven't been told what to do. Supe was busy loading another car somewhere else.

As the sun starts to rise, them PT supes get so pissed off.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but seemingly management isn't around when I have questions.
Then, when I'm in the truck fighting my way to get to and back out of 1/2/3/4 sections through piles of RDLs, the PT supes there to tell me how I've let teh box cages go by lol.

The expectations seem to change with load too. By the book and during training when its slow, its all about methods, label facing the right way and exact order, meaning if its 1023, 1055, 1040 and 1080, go back and swap out 1055 and 1040.

Later in the day.. the instructions change to... 1,2,3 and 4s go to the front half and rest rear half.. and car # is supposed to be right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Training videos do have value but nothing beats hands-on training. The one thing the preloaders in my center do not do is compare the PAL to the physical address---this is where a lot of our misloads come from (out of syncs).

hey I am applying for the preload shift and I just took the tour and interview. All of the stuff they told us made my head spin. Also, they brought us around showing us a guy unloading trucks and other stuff. They also had people putting packages into trucks on the shelves ( that particular job sounds like it is pain in the *****)? I just want to know what to really expect on this 3am to 8am shift.

klolx

hey I am applying for the preload shift and I just took the tour and interview. All of the stuff they told us made my head spin. Also, they brought us around showing us a guy unloading trucks and other stuff. They also had people putting packages into trucks on the shelves ( that particular job sounds like it is pain in the *****)? I just want to know what to really expect on this 3am to 8am shift.

Expect the wrath of Zeus. Seriously...

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I preloaded for 7 years, I sucked pace-wise but my loads were good and my drivers LOVED me. Was so glad to get out of preload tho.
Just go with the flow as best you can and don't take anything personal. The pt sups are under fire from upper mgt and it's all about the numbers.
Most sups are ok but there are some sadistic ones out there, those are the guys that make work a drag. I've had a couple and they usually don't last long, they get moved around a lot because of complaints from co-workers.

Oh yea, I cant wait to shake off pre load. I've always said its a death sentence around here. I've been to the point where I could go really fast, the problem is making it each and every week, endurance. That and they would always come looking for me to help others and whatnot. After getting that week in and out I started to pace it then race it.

You know it, theres a few I can recall, part time soups that tried to make me run a race all night long. One comes to mind, and yes he got moved pretty fast after the complaints started to roll in. I was rather pissed at this guy, not just a few times a week, more like everyday and each second. He would try to pull me everyday. Say things like " you want to charge or do erges" I'd choose charging. Go and do that, come back get caught up again then throw me to do erges anyways. I was so pissed I told another soup if I caught this guy in the parking... well you get the picture.

Yes, they really dont last long. I think I see more part time soups quit then insiders. All that getting yelled at and pressure from full is a drag. I'm glad never to have been sucked into signing up for it. Their job is rather easy, getting yelled at all the time is the big downer of it all.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Oh they'll do that, and its meant to try and scare you away from showing up again. I love it when they bring people by my set, I often dont like this since they get in the way, only for a sort time though. Last year, near peak, there was a huge lot of them being paraded by my cars, I clapped my hands and said "welcome to hell".

When I took the tour, the full time soup ( which is mine now ), took off down a lane like in a million miles an hour away from us. She left us in the dirt, I really tried to keep up, I was the only one that did. I didnt expect that at all. Just another tactic to scare us off from coming back again.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I remember my 1st day of preload. We watched videos, did a tour and watched guys load package cars. Next day, I was the only one of us 3 new hires to show up. I myself, think loading package cars is easy. Maybe its because I have 3 easy to load routes. Where else can you step up and down 300 to 400 times day (then go out and drive and do it again 150 more times)? Were still not on PAS (hearing it will be here this month), so maybe that will change for the better, or worse. I would concentrate on load quality/mis-loads first. Speed will come. Make your drivers happy, especially on Fridays. Just do your best and work safe!