LONG DISTANCE DRIVING

1fedexFAILURE

Anyone else have a long drive in to work? Heard of a guy that drives an hour to get to work when there is a station 20 minutes from his house..

Express Courier

I live a 6 minute drive to work. About 10 minutes to get home. There was a guy years ago that drove over an hour to get to our station when he lived about 10 minutes from another. He eventually transferred to the other one.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
One of our retired drivers used to drive an hour coming to work (on a good day) then get in a tractor and drive 638 miles on his job, get out and drive over an hour to get home.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My commute is 1-2 hours to drive 29 miles. It once took me 8 hours because of a snow storm. I live in a very expensive area and I live where I can afford to have a roof over my head. There is a closer station, but I would have to take a cut in pay if I worked there.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My commute is 1-2 hours to drive 29 miles. It once took me 8 hours because of a snow storm. I live in a very expensive area and I live where I can afford to have a roof over my head. There is a closer station, but I would have to take a cut in pay if I worked there.
Wow. You must have to sit thru 200 hundred traffic lights if it takes that long to drive 29 miles. How come you'd have to take a cut in pay to work at a closer station?

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
I used to live 45 minutes away, drove up to 250 miles on my route. It lasted one, whole month. Rented out that home and moved into the one, closer to the station.

1fedexFAILURE

Bu
But if you took a cut in pay.. You would still make more per hour because you wouldn't have the time invested in your drive..

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
i live between 2 hubs... one is 20 miles and the other 30 miles
only 30-40 commute based on highway traffic.

since i'm allowed to take the stepvan home when i'm done servicing the area, i had only one preference ~ overall treatment by the subcontractor & better pay per stop.

it's really stress-free at HD, so i'm sticking with it for a while.

Purplepackage

i live between 2 hubs... one is 20 miles and the other 30 miles
only 30-40 commute based on highway traffic.

since i'm allowed to take the stepvan home when i'm done servicing the area, i had only one preference ~ overall treatment by the subcontractor & better pay per stop.

it's really stress-free at HD, so i'm sticking with it for a while.

I'm sure it is stress free, if all I had to do was 150 resi stops a day with no pick ups or time comitts that's smooth sailing for anyone

dezguy

We have guys were I work that drive in from the next county. It's not like we're in an expensive area. I can never figure out why you'd live a county away from where you work.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We have guys were I work that drive in from the next county. It's not like we're in an expensive area. I can never figure out why you'd live a county away from where you work.

In my case, it's cheaper. My rent would probably be $500-600 more a month in the county where my station is.

Last edited:

dezguy

In my case, it's cheaper. My rent would probably be $500-600 more a month in the county where my station is.
In that case, it makes sense. In our case, there is little to no difference in prices between the two counties. Guess these guys like driving over an hour to work and an hour back, Monday-Friday?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I'm sure it is stress free, if all I had to do was 150 resi stops a day with no pick ups or time comitts that's smooth sailing for anyone

:) yup sure is! only about 10% are businesses

maybe that's why HD is the least paid opco among the 3 (Express/ Ground/ HD)

i chose the longer hub because the closer hub are run by some incompetent managers who can't plot those "zeroes" correctly into the system & the subcontractors break some DOT rules that i've seen 1st-hand... like a driver using the subcontractor's ID to do another run in the PM after finishing their own route with their regular ID

R

RuralRoute

I drive 45 mins to work although I live 20 mins from another station. There's a logical explanation for me however- the station closer to my house is much larger and is close to a hub, and my seniority isn't high enough to ever get a winning bid there since there are many more applicants. I drive to the further station that is smaller because the competition for the job was a lot lower. I plan to work where I am until I can work up the CEV points to actually get a job at the closer station. Sound reasonable?

1fedexFAILURE

I drive 45 mins to work although I live 20 mins from another station. There's a logical explanation for me however- the station closer to my house is much larger and is close to a hub, and my seniority isn't high enough to ever get a winning bid there since there are many more applicants. I drive to the further station that is smaller because the competition for the job was a lot lower. I plan to work where I am until I can work up the CEV points to actually get a job at the closer station. Sound reasonable?
Absolutely..you have a motive..!!