Long hair package handler at UPS (Male) ?

Hey BrownCafe I just recently applied for a job at UPS and I got scheduled for an appointment on Friday (Package Handler) is the appointment a tour of the place and then they schedule you for a job interview or is it actually a job interview? I have long hair and of course I plan on pulling it back...but I was wondering if they'll make a big deal about me having long hair. It's pretty long...goes down to the bottom of my back :P. The reason I'm applying is because I'm in a band and the 4am - 9am shift is ideal for the band's schedule...never would interfere with a show. The workout should be a bonus too :) really hoping I get the job.

Thanks for reading/replying :happy-very:

-JEGuitarist

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hey BrownCafe I just recently applied for a job at UPS and I got scheduled for an appointment on Friday (Package Handler) is the appointment a tour of the place and then they schedule you for a job interview or is it actually a job interview? I have long hair and of course I plan on pulling it back...but I was wondering if they'll make a big deal about me having long hair. It's pretty long...goes down to the bottom of my back :P. The reason I'm applying is because I'm in a band and the 4am - 9am shift is ideal for the band's schedule...never would interfere with a show. The workout should be a bonus too :) really hoping I get the job.

-JEGuitarist

You should be fine, especially if you're able to tuck it into a ponytail and under a hat. The only concern would be your hair getting caught in equipment.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

-JEGuitarist

Since you will not meet the public, dress codes and personal appearance standards will not apply.

Leave your hair down and you will have a higher chance of getting assigned to easier areas such as the small sort. :funny:

Nimnim

The Nim
I have long hair and a long beard. Your concerns should be the heat and getting caught in equipment. Customers are not an issue and grooming standards don't apply to the background facility workers.

Good luck and you'll learn to keep your hair tied back. Tape is a pain.

I have long hair and a long beard. Your concerns should be the heat and getting caught in equipment. Customers are not an issue and grooming standards don't apply to the background facility workers.

Good luck and you'll learn to keep your hair tied back. Tape is a pain.

As a fellow long hair, how'd you put your hair for the interview?

browned out

Many have worked part time with long hair. It has no impact on how hard you can work. Should be no judging. Go in there and kick ass. You can even have long hair as a driver as long as you tuck it up under your hat. Rock On "and the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply, so i tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why"

UPSmeoff

[QUOTE Rock On "and the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply, so i tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why"[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it.

rod

Retired 22 years
It should be a great job for you. After you get done playing your kick :censored2: music you can go to work and UPS gets a chance to kick your :censored2:. :happy-very: Good luck.

I've always had long hair, but I actually did grow it out for charity...then I got attached to it haha. Next time I go for a trim I plan on finally donating it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Since you will not meet the public, dress codes and personal appearance standards will not apply.

Leave your hair down and you will have a higher chance of getting assigned to easier areas such as the small sort. :funny:

Just be careful because if you have a nice ***** and are turned around some of the guys might mistake you for a girl...then once they realize your a guy their mind will haught them for ever thinking that...also don't wear leather pants to work...not good

-JEGuitarist
You won't get the job if you only have long hair. You need to have at least three tattoos and any piercings will also help your cause also. Be yourself

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Once you're hired they wouldn't say anything about your hair unless it looked like it was going to get stuck in the rollers, etc. One thing to keep in mind is there is no AC in the buildings and it gets really hot in the summer inside so long hair sticking to you might not be great. By the preload it has cooled down a few degrees compared to the night shift though...

Also you're looking to get on the preload shift. In most parts of the country it's easiest to get in on the night shift as there are less people who want to work the crappy hours, but it sounds like that would conflict with your nocturnal activities.

To answer your question about the tour--It varies. In some areas the tour becomes a group interview, then if you are still interested after they tell you about the crappy pay and the initiation fees they sometimes will set up a 1 on 1 interview with a full time sup. In other areas the tour is just that, then you come back for a group interview/session.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We have a Preloader nickednamed Jesus for his appearance.

If UPS were to implement appearance standards for PTers... heck, after terminating those who fail to shower every day, those who wear the SAME STINKY, SWEATY clothes everyday (even in 100 degree heat), we'd have a skeleton crew remaining.

And while I'm ranting... why are we so strict on shoes when nearly half the dudes I work with under 30 (and, unfortunately, many over 30) wear their pants around their ankles?