Looking for a Good Hand Gun Any Suggestions?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Red, this is still the lineup in our house. The 92fs are as reliable as a hammer,so`s the Remington 870. That being said the wife says be extremely specific with the dealer about your intended use when it comes time to make a decision . Makes sure he knows there`s kids in the house. After that for you and your wife-gun class! Your wife might say she`ll never touch it but god forbid in a moment of panic decide to and not know how to use it properly.
Her first words of advice were to get a big dog instead.
Red, when I read your post the first thing I thought of was your wife. What ever you get, make sure your wife can handle it and knows how to handle it. Absolutely take a gun class. Our local dealer does not only CCW classes but private instruction as well. I see you are taking steps to protect the kids. Cache is right, if you have a gun in the house your wife must be able to handle it and practice handling it regularly. Not just once. If she refuses, then get a guard dog. I cannot stress enough the importance of your wife being willing and capable of handling a handgun.

For a fail safe hand gun get a revolver. It will fire everytime. Olbrowneye's suggestion of a 'judge' is good but I will tell you that firing it takes a strong hand. The 410 is great for in home, up close protection. But it does have a kick. My step son has one and he shoots regularly. He says it kicks pretty good.

I have a 9mm and we also have a 45, plus various and sundry other handguns and rifles. The 9 and 45 are my favorites. I shoot both with a fair amount of accuracy. My 9 sits at my computer most of the time. You can get Glaser rounds for a 9 and 45, which act just like shotgun shells. They penetrate up close but will not go through walls. They do a great deal of damage. I have shot a 40 before and from a womans standpoint I didn't like it. It was to big for my hand and it also hurt my hand after firing several rounds.
Our 45 has the same safety feature that 'olbrown talked about. You have to grip the gun to release the safety.

I guess the most important thing would be to get a gun that your wife can handle. You can handle any of them.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
Not even an issue here.
For me this topic actually worries me, soo many have handguns here on this site. Read the following, might interesst a few :

Canada has always had stronger firearms regulation than the United States, particularly with respect to handguns. In Canada, handguns have been licensed and registered since the 1930’s, ownership of guns has never been regarded as a right and several court rulings have reaffirmed the right of the government to protect citizens from guns. Handgun ownership has been restricted to police, members of gun clubs or collectors. Very few (about 50 in the country) have been given permits to carry handguns for "self-protection." This is only possible if an applicant can prove that their life is in danger and the police cannot protect them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not even an issue here.
For me this topic actually worries me, soo many have handguns here on this site. Read the following, might interesst a few :

Canada has always had stronger firearms regulation than the United States, particularly with respect to handguns. In Canada, handguns have been licensed and registered since the 1930’s, ownership of guns has never been regarded as a right and several court rulings have reaffirmed the right of the government to protect citizens from guns. Handgun ownership has been restricted to police, members of gun clubs or collectors. Very few (about 50 in the country) have been given permits to carry handguns for "self-protection." This is only possible if an applicant can prove that their life is in danger and the police cannot protect them.
I guess it's a GD good thing I don't live in Canada. I have the right to own my guns and I will not willingly let anyone take that away from me.:biting: and will not willingly listen to someone who chooses to bad mouth my right to my guns. Tread carefully here.

klein

Might be another whole topic... would be intressting to know what people prefer in the states.
Be handgun free like Canada and Europe, and feel safer, or keep it as is, handguns everywhere, and unsafe.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Sorry for digging up an old thread. But my wife was totally against me getting a gun within 2 days after watching this movie.

She still is not sold on having a gun in the house, but after Friday night I refuse to leave without one.

We were in bed about midnight watching a movie and it was storming pretty good, lightning thunder the works. We do have an alarm system with doors that chime if they are opened. Well the chime alarms, so I jump out of bed thinking maybe we forgot the front door and the weather blew it open.

I was down the stairs in a matter of seconds and the front door was locked and closed. I look towards the back of the house and in a lightning blast I saw shadows.

i was not sure if they were in the kitchen or outside because our kitchen is walled off. The vacuum was sitting by the front door, thats all I had, no bat nothing. So I grabbed the vacuum lifted it up and yelled get the friend* out of my house as I ran towards the kitchen.

I get to the kitchen and nothing, no one is there. I go to the back door and it is unlocked (probably because of my kids in and out all day and night). The door is closed and it is a sliding heavy glass door, i open it to look out on the porch and into the yard and it chimed again.

My wife insists that it was the wind! BS IMO. If the wind did blow open a heavy door how did the same wind blow it closed? I don't want to scare her and fight with her over who's right, but its obvious to me that I am right.

So Saturday morning I was at Gander mountain applying for a FOID card and within a month I will be able to purchase a hand gun for home protection.

I have already purchased a key pad safe to protect the kids from getting their hands on it.

I was just wondering if there was anything special I should look into. I'm 6ft tall and 230 lbs. I looked at the selection they had and it is mind blowing on just how many choices are out there.

Thanks for any new input.

Once you get your FOID, try a class such as this: http://www.maxonshooters.com/fireTrain.html, they're in DesPlaines. Store/firing range offering classes a couple of sunday evenings each mo. You (& hopefully your wife) would have the opportunity to handle/fire about 5 or 6 different handguns to get a better feel for what you might want.

klein

We do have an alarm system with doors that chime if they are opened. Well the chime alarms, so I jump out of bed thinking maybe we forgot the front door and the weather blew it open.

I was down the stairs in a matter of seconds and the front door was locked and closed

If the wind did blow open a heavy door how did the same wind blow it closed?

Sure the chimes we'rnt just playing tricks on you ? Esspecially on the glass door with heavy winds.

I have read the statistics on handguns in the states today. They are gruesome !
If you ever visit a ball or football game with 50.000 spectators.
Keep this in mind:
From those 50.000 :
2.2 people will be shot dead that year.
22 or more will be shot and "only" injured.
32 will be robbed at gunpoint
and another 3.2 people will commit suicide with a gun.

thats a whole busload going to the game !

To comparison, here's Canada Stats:
0.25 will be shot and killed (need to fill that stadium 4 times, before a death occurs)
I can only guess non-fetal shootings, lets say 1.
9 robberies at gunpoint
1.7 suicide by gun.

These figures are however from 1998.
Before the even stricter ban of firearms came into place in 2003 in Canada.

America has the highest killings by guns, by a distance (out of space distance) !
I would never feel compfy with a gun in my house.
NEVER ! If I have a bad day, shoot myself, or shoot someone else ?
Or in your case, what if it was just a neighbor, looking to borrow a flashlight, and you panicked ?
Ban them all, go back to fist fighting, like we do in hockey !

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would never feel compfy with a gun in my house.
NEVER ! If I have a bad day, shoot myself, or shoot someone else ?
Or in your case, what if it was just a neighbor, looking to borrow a flashlight, and you panicked ?
Ban them all, go back to fist fighting, like we do in hockey !

If I may advise you, do not buy a handgun or shotgun or rifle.
You have that choice and it appears to be the right one for you.

klein

We don't get handguns here, a whopping 50 Canadians have them, for special needs, because they proved to be threatened with thier lives, and can't constantly reley on police to guard them 24/7. (legal that is).
Non- legal ones, yes, we have them, comming thru the US boarder... but now with passport requirements, and better technoligy at boarder crossings.. it should come to a big slowdown.

And, I said that sarcastic wise (shoot myself or someone else), but we all know what happens in US postal offices, Columbine Highschool and other schools, universities, workplaces.
Don't you see these guns are going to a lot of wrong people ?
But, yes. Everyone will say, I'm not one of them, and neither will my kids or wife be. And, I'll never lose my gun, or never have it stolen. But, it happens.

From the net:

"Registering handguns in Canada over the past 60 years has clearly paid off. The United States serves as a constant reminder of what happens when a government fails to make that investment."
Arn Snyder, Canadian Criminal Justice Association, Ottawa Citizen, July 31, 1999

That quote is from 1999. Handguns (not rifles) have been banned since then (2003).

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our Constitution affords us the right to 'keep and bear arms'. And our government doesn't control every aspect of our lives, yet. There are those that advocate total gun control by the government and they even use the same theorum that you do. Guns kill people.

People kill people. Guns are just one method. So are knives, cars (drinking and driving), steel pipes, even bare hands. I could go on and on. So what are you going to do, advocate outlawing all of the above? Pretty soon the government would have control over absolutely everything. Personally, I don't care to live that way. I like the fact that I can sit in my home and know that if someone broke into my home, I would have the capability and capacity to protect myself. Would I shoot someone who broke in? If I had no choice, you're damm straight I would. I would be well within my right to, according to my state laws.

I'm happy there is a border between you and I. Nothing personal but I don't want you on my side of the border with your anti-gun nonsense. We already have enough of 'em here.

ol'browneye

Anyone stupid enough to drink a beer on UPS time shouldn't be allowed to own a gun anyway! Stay in Canada and I hope the police make it to you before you are hurt if somebody ever tries to harm you!

Oh, and I do believe there is another thread on 2nd amendment rights on the BC, take your crap there!

ol'browneye

It's an old cliche but it is so true...
"Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns!"

This is my last comment on this subject on this thread.

klein

I don't know, where our Moderator came up with more crime victims here up north.
I been searching the net and can't find it. Found we have more car thefts per cap, and more property theft per cap. Thatss about it:
This is what I found:

Crime comparisons between Canada and the United States

Over the past 20 years, Canada recorded much lower rates of violent crime than the United States did. However, rates for property offences have generally been higher in Canada, according to a comparison of police-reported crime between the two nations.
Crime rates in both countries have followed similar trends during the past two decades. After peaking in 1991, rates for both violent and property crime generally declined throughout the 1990s.
Based on selected offences, the United States has had a much higher rate of reported violent crime than Canada. The homicide rate was three times higher in the United States than it was in Canada, while the American rate for aggravated assault was double the Canadian rate. For robbery, the rate was 65% higher in the United States.

over9five

Staff member
I don't know, where our Moderator came up with more crime victims here up north.

How can you not know? I posted the links!

Where are the links for what you posted?

If you look at the links I posted, you will find some catagories where the US is higher in some crime catagories like murder with firearms where US is #4 and Canada is #14.....

...but Canada has more crime victims than the US, PROBABLY because criminals know they're attacking, robbing, raping unarmed people.

klein

How can you not know? I posted the links!

Where are the links for what you posted?

If you look at the links I posted, you will find some catagories where the US is higher in some crime catagories like murder with firearms where US is #4 and Canada is #14.....

...but Canada has more crime victims than the US, PROBABLY because criminals know they're attacking, robbing, raping unarmed people.

Found the same website (link) you sent me, but stats are totally different, very interessting.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes&int=-1

ok, I get it, per capita. But, I truely think women are more open here and trust police, and our court systems, and report rapes. We are only slighty higher there, anyways, but definitly not in total crime rates.

This is where I got my other info from, and another website as well :
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/011218/dq011218b-eng.htm

Last edited:

tourists24

tell you what klein,,,, you dont feel comfy in your home with a gun.,,, good for you. The odds are in your favor that a violent crime will not happen to you while in your home at night. But that chance is there. Take your chance that the culprit isnt armed at all and maybe he will go away and you can call the police. I on the other hand dont feel uncomfy with a firearm nearby. I like the idea. Anyone that comes into my house at night unwelcomed can take their chances.

klein

tell you what klein,,,, you dont feel comfy in your home with a gun.,,, good for you. The odds are in your favor that a violent crime will not happen to you while in your home at night. But that chance is there. Take your chance that the culprit isnt armed at all and maybe he will go away and you can call the police. I on the other hand dont feel uncomfy with a firearm nearby. I like the idea. Anyone that comes into my house at night unwelcomed can take their chances.
Oh, I'm not worried at home at all at night. I don't even think I hear of those break-ins here. They are usually done, when no one is home.
I'm not even worried going out at night and walking the streets, in this city of 1 million. We might have 6 gun deaths all yr round.
Chances of getting shot here are greater then winning a lottery!
1 out of 200.000 per year ! And 95% of these gun shootings are either gang or drug related. (neither group I belong to).

But, yes, if I lived in the states, I would think totally differnetly too.
Everytime I visit there, I don't feel safe walking the streets alone.
I went to LA a few years back to see Madonna. I ended up selling my $200 ticket for $1000.00 at my hotel (long story, but was offered that).
I sold it, got another ticket, before the concert started,actually even a floor ticket (paid $400). But, the fact is, with the US cash I already exchanged, plus the $1000.00 in cash. I was worried that I could be robbed anytime. Esspecially in LA.
I do believe more guns = more crime.
Where will your gun end up one day, after you lived your life ?
Wife or kids may sell it ? To whom ? And then it gets resold, etc.. eventually it does land in wrong hands.
Those parents of those kids that at Columbine Highschool, would have never ever thought, thier kids would have done that .
I won't even bother looking up youth crimes with guns in the states, because it's probably too horrific.

But, like I said, you live in an unsafe ,non guncontolled ,country, so it's best to have 1 yourself, for selfprotection.
Too many guns, in too many wrong hands there.
I guess you have no choice.

Store owners aren't even allowed to have guns here. It's best to just hand over the money, press the alarm, and let police and insurance deal with it.
The probabilty of getting shot is even rare in those circumstances, since those crooks know, your not armed.

tourists24

Im glad you posted all of that.... hopefully everyone will read how unconcerned about these situations you are. Maybe in Canada the criminals are soft and care about people more than our criminals. Very naive to say how safe you feel as if nothing will happen to you. But like I said, if you are ok with it then I am too. Talking about shop owners just handing over their money and calling the cops. I know it is only money and property which can be replaced, but it goes deeper than that. This is someone taking something that isnt theirs and coming on to MY property to do harm (maybe not physical, but thats not the point). I promise you the bad guys have guns up there, maybe they are just nicer? If a criminal doesnt worry about breaking the law by robbery, what makes you think they care about breaking the law to get a gun? It may be harder to get since there are fewer guns, but they can get them. In that you may be right with more guns=more gun killing. But less guns=less crime? Less crime just because getting a gun is harder? Use your reports and statistics like you do, but I have the choice to carry if I like, you dont. You say you dont need one. It only takes one criminal with an illegally obtained gun to change that (they do have them if they really want it). If they outlawed handguns here, you think those people in LA are going to feel any safer?

Question: Is there any cause for you that you would be willing to die for if need be?

Look at the bright side Klein,after we shoot you on your next visit at least you have free health care back home to take care of you.

You spout out statistics as a blanket covering American citizens but the fact is the "people" who commit violent crime with a gun would be just as happy to commit the same crime with a knife,bat,rock,fist,etc. Yes it`s a cliché but the weapon doesn`t kill people,the "people" kill people.

Guns are banned in the city of Chicago but look how well that worked for our driver.