Looking for a used cb am/fm radio for my tractor

team player

Anyone who is recently retired or has an extra cb radio and am/fm radio combo already put together and would like to sell it please let me know. The one I had is shot and I need another right away, I would like to have one that is in a slip seat box with the am/fm radio with a cd player.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used to have a CF driver on my area that made a lot of money building boxes and selling them to other drivers. I don't know if EBay would have anything like this, but I would look there. I didn't think these things were that expensive anyway.

bluehdmc

I used to have a CF driver on my area that made a lot of money building boxes and selling them to other drivers. I don't know if EBay would have anything like this, but I would look there. I didn't think these things were that expensive anyway.

They aren't cheap, you can get an aluminum box at some cb shops for about $100 or so, a decent am/fm cd player is at least a $100+ depending on if it has sattelite or remote control even more, a cb another $125, then depending on whether the box comes with speakers, ($50.), you have to get power cords and a few other odds and ends, labor to assemble, your looking at $500.00 and up depending on how fancy you want to get.
I"ve put a couple together, it takes about 3 hrs or so to assemble one. Depends on what kind of box you use. Some guys make them out of plastic tool boxes. Some use wood, more time involved in that though.
Occasionally I have seen them on ebay.
I've also seen some people just mount a cb and a radio on a board and hook up the wires to the tractor. Most tractors have power and speaker connections, with the exception of the old internationals.

over9five

Staff member
I think it makes a great project to do it yourself! I used an old craftsman plastic toolbox I had lying around. Amazon has rebuilt stereos, I got one with cd player for well under $100. Also got my cb at Amazon, a little over $100. Deducted both on taxes (unreimbursed employee expense). And I've also mounted a Sirius dock to it.

I use the tractor speakers, and I don't even bother to hook up the tractors FM antenna anymore, I only listen to Sirius.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think it makes a great project to do it yourself! I used an old craftsman plastic toolbox I had lying around. Amazon has rebuilt stereos, I got one with cd player for well under $100. Also got my cb at Amazon, a little over $100. Deducted both on taxes (unreimbursed employee expense). And I've also mounted a Sirius dock to it.

I use the tractor speakers, and I don't even bother to hook up the tractors FM antenna anymore, I only listen to Sirius.

I could be wrong but I bet the IRS would frown on your deduction if you were ever audited. You and I know that a radio/CB/cd player are a great way to maintain your sanity on the road but for some reason I don't believe they would be clasified as a MUST HAVE for business by the IRS.

outta hours

I could be wrong but I bet the IRS would frown on your deduction if you were ever audited. You and I know that a radio/CB/cd player are a great way to maintain your sanity on the road but for some reason I don't believe they would be clasified as a MUST HAVE for business by the IRS.

I know I don't want to be on the road without my CB. Especially in bad weather. It is extremely helpful in those type conditions. You can find out what you have ahead of you from the trucks coming from the opposite direction. Emergency channel is always available, even when cell phone reception is not.

Mine is always on, not always up loud as I am usually listening to XM also. But it is there if and when I need it.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
I know I don't want to be on the road without my CB. Especially in bad weather. It is extremely helpful in those type conditions. You can find out what you have ahead of you from the trucks coming from the opposite direction. Emergency channel is always available, even when cell phone reception is not.

Mine is always on, not always up loud as I am usually listening to XM also. But it is there if and when I need it.
+1

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Over, remind me not to have you do my taxes for me.:wink2:

rushfan

I made a box out of scraps I found one day at a trailer manufacturing facility. (I'm cheap and didn't want to pay for a 4X8 sheet of 3/8 plywood). The box was a bit too bulky to put on the dash, and putting it in the passenger seat took too much room. Also it was in the way when I attempted to take my lunch. Lunch is a nap during night runs.

I finally just took the bottom of the box, it's about a 5X12 inch piece of plywood, and mounted the c.b. and cd player to it. It doesn't look pretty, but it works.

One more item of interest. When radios/power sources were taken from package cars, I got some choice comments from the package brethren how unfair it is that I can have a radio, and they can't.