Looking into getting a FedEx home route, Any suggestions?

bbsam

Staff member
A million doesn't seem like enough. The reason I asked is that bad accident in MS a few weeks ago, which will probably go into the multi-millions. That's where the gray area would come in. No ISP could probably handle that type of judgement.

Well there is the endemnity insurance that Fedex provides. That covers damage caused to property while packages are on-board. A terminal north of here had a driver fall asleep at the wheel a few years ago and end up in the river. Complete loss of cargo not to mention nightmare with the EPA. Except for injury to the driver (luckily minor) and replacement of the vehicle, Fedex ate the entire cleanup cost and cargo replacement cost.

FedExer267

Not the first time I have heard of someone falling asleep behind the wheel. It happened 3 times in my building last year. Hmmm could this be because we work to much up to 70 hours a week with no breaks and no lunches, not to mention no OT. But lets forget the pay for the sake of this post.

bbsam

Staff member
I thought your old job was calling you back. If not, is this still the best you can find? If so, I hope you do not spend all those hours embittered.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Million dollar liability insurance. Very expensive, but that's the price of doing business. That's not to say that Fedex could not also be sued since we do run under their DOT number so I assume there is some level of culpability, but I don't know where the lines are drawn.

A million doesn't seem like enough. The reason I asked is that bad accident in MS a few weeks ago, which will probably go into the multi-millions. That's where the gray area would come in. No ISP could probably handle that type of judgement.

A million wouldn't be nearly close enough to let me sleep comfortably. A severe accident like the one in Mississippi could easily bankrupt an owner.

FedExer267

I thought your old job was calling you back. If not, is this still the best you can find? If so, I hope you do not spend all those hours embittered.

Hey bbsam I do what I have to do to keep it going. Thats why I am hardly on here anymore because I have to work 2 jobs to support my family. Not embittered just telling it like it is. Those who work longer hours with no luches and no breaks up to 70 hours are more likely to get in a accident and we have big business to thank for that. Well atleast the ones who take advantage of the American people.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sure Fred charges a king's ransom for that.

Make a huge claim and you're probably on thin ice afterwards.
I believe Fedex is self-insured for that, as is UPS. I have never seen a contractor "on thin ice" but have seen a semi driver fired for an "at fault accident" that dumped 200 gallons of diesel fuel in a terminal parking lot. EPA had to break up the asphalt and start taking layers of dirt away until they were sure none was ending up in the water table.

HomeDelivery

not on thin ice, but will have a big target on their backs... this past summer, i witnessed it first hand when a contractor lost his 4-route contract

bbsam

Staff member
That is a nice part about being a contractor. Even if they are pushing you out the door, you can still get a nice final payday.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I believe Fedex is self-insured for that, as is UPS. I have never seen a contractor "on thin ice" but have seen a semi driver fired for an "at fault accident" that dumped 200 gallons of diesel fuel in a terminal parking lot. EPA had to break up the asphalt and start taking layers of dirt away until they were sure none was ending up in the water table.

I'm surprised that accident and spill got outside of the terminal. Seems like FDX would have just tried to clean it up quick and look the other way.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh, hell no! Something that big?! All it takes is one guy with a grudge to make a local phone call and...let's just say major yuck-yuck hitting the fan.

FedExer267

The only ones with the grudges would be the drivers... That speaks volumes on how we are treated. Which is exactly why they would do it by the book, they know there are alot of unhappy drivers..

bbsam

Staff member
The only ones with the grudges would be the drivers... That speaks volumes on how we are treated. Which is exactly why they would do it by the book, they know there are alot of unhappy drivers..
Wouldn't matter who it was. It's a good sized building. Covering up that spill would have been impossible which was the point, but your personal dislike for the company and desire to speak for other drivers is noted.

FedExer267

Wouldn't matter who it was. It's a good sized building. Covering up that spill would have been impossible which was the point, but your personal dislike for the company and desire to speak for other drivers is noted.
Well Glad I can Help!!! =)